Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Slow return to the garden?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Miffy&FlossLove
      Participant
      12 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone. My little buns live in the utility area of my house. It is dry, away from the wind and offers them loads of space to run, jump and play. (they have a hutch, which I haven’t been able to remove… they LOVE their hutch, it’s their secure place and are really happy to jump in there whenever I need them to.) When I brought them home last summer they spent a lot of time in a large run in the garden on the grass and loved it. But since the winter set in, and the wind and rain the UK south coast generally experiences, they’ve only been outside a handful of times in the last few months. They get a lot of play time every single day indoors but not on the grass for the moment. My question is do I need to phase in their time outside on the grass again? Can they eat too much grass not being used to it at the moment? It concerns me as I took them out for a couple of hours a few weeks ago and since them both have been ill for the first time ever, one after the other, stopped eating, playing and responding (the first had to stay at the vets, the other needed critical care) and the only thing different in their routine was they’d been back outside the week before. Is it possible the change in routine upset them even if they seemed to enjoy it?

Sorry if this is a weird question, I haven’t had bunnies before and am relatively new to this!

• Dface
        Participant
        1084 posts Send Private Message

Grass, despite being their natural food source can cause tummyy issues in bunnies who aren’t adjusted to it, especially because they will easy it in place of eating their hay in most cases.

Large changes to their system like that should be phased in slowly

Pick some grass and introduce it to them slowly with their greens, building up the amount gradually over time, which should help the next time they adventure out in the garden.

Also do be mindful of temperature gaps, if it’s warm inside be cautious of putting them out in the garden where it can be substantially cooler this time of year any way

• Miffy&FlossLove
          Participant
          12 posts Send Private Message

Thankyou for your reply! Whilst they are inside its not particularly warm in the utility area… there isn’t any heating, they’re just protected from the elements mostly and I only tend to put them in the garden when it’s dry and mild anyway. Perhaps their spell in the garden a couple of weeks ago could have thrown them out in that case??? They did eat some grass, but I’m not sure how long it takes before it causes issues as it was a good 8 or 9 days before the first one stopped eating. Would this have happened quicker if the garden had caused this???

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Slow return to the garden?