Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Sleep hopping

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • MarkBun
      Participant
      2842 posts Send Private Message

So SaveABunny had a rabbit that was thought to have a neurological issue.  It would suddenly twist and violently slam into the cage and then stop.  Needless to say, everyone was worried about the bun.  He went to a TLC foster home.  There, however, the caregiver noted that these ‘episodes’ only happened while he was asleep.  Furthermore, she watched more than one time when the rabbit would stand up and run, with its eyes still closed.  It then would of course run into a wall or furniture at which point, it woke up and everything was fine.  It seems he has the rabbit version of night terrors.  So, yes it is a neurological disorder but at least it isn’t as life threatening that was first thought.

Just thought I’d share.  I don’t remember the name of the rabbit.

• Furface
        Participant
        618 posts Send Private Message

A sleepwalking bun. that both funny & so not funny. Poor bun.

• kralspace
          Participant
          2663 posts Send Private Message

Oh, poor bunny. you could name it after me if I didn’t have such a strange screen name, Mark,

I do that during night terrors too. Luckily I usually make it through the doors, but sometimes someone leaves a door halfway open and I slam into it! That will wake you up alright. Little bunny helmet?

• Adalaide
            Participant
            433 posts Send Private Message

Haha, a bun with a crash helmet for sleeping. I agree though, while it’s sad its also funny.

• jerseygirl
              22342 posts Send Private Message

I suppose it’s entirely possible – same as with humans, but first I’ve ever heard of it (I do have vague recollection of a dog affected this way though). It would be so strange to see. Also confusing. I find them sleeping with their eyes open weird enough. I wonder whether a diet change would make a difference? Sometimes foods can give kids night terrors and the likes.

• bunnytowne
                Participant
                7537 posts Send Private Message

How strange that poor bunny.  Hey how did I get over here. I fell asleep over there

• Moonlight_Wolf
                  Participant
                  1155 posts Send Private Message

Sorry to kind of bring this thread up again, but this dog does things similar to that.

Its really funny, but also kind of sad.

• sally
                    Participant
                    170 posts Send Private Message

wow interesting, ive heard a lot about cats doing that, my other fav pet! It is sad but also kinda funny, just like it is in adults! Padded room possibly for little bun to prevent injury

• BinkyBunny
                      8776 posts Send Private Message

Oh how scary! I would be so afraid of serious injuries, especially neck and back. (
                        I wonder if there are meds that can help with that.   I know with some animals they give a sedative for the sleep cycle, but i know with rabbits that may be much more difficult since they take alot naps and do a heavy sleep in the afternoon and night.

This might be worth asking Dana Krempels about. I know she has answered questions about human sleep walking and since she is also very interested and knowledgable about rabbits, she may have some thoughts or at least would be a good place to start.

I’d be very interested in learning what ends up happening with this situation so keep us updated. I’ll also ask around since i have to talk to my vet still about Jack’s latest urinary test.

• Wick & Fable
                        5781 posts Send Private Message

Hi Ameigirl, and welcome to Binkybunny! I’m sorry to hear that you’re feeling distressed over what you’re noticing in your rabbit.

Since this is an old thread, you will likely not a get a response, so I will lock it.

I encourage you to Create a Topic of your own so our active members can chime in with their thoughts!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Ameigirl
                          Participant
                          2 posts Send Private Message

I’m so happy to find this thread, has anyone figured out what the cause was or what to do? This is happening to my bunny since I got him at 7 weeks old and he’s 21 weeks now. It’s really scary! I don’t know what to do.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • The topic ‘Sleep hopping’ is closed to new replies.

Forum BEHAVIOR Sleep hopping