Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Since I am building a new cage soon…

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • Moonlight_Wolf
      Participant
      1155 posts Send Private Message

I need to buy more dowels but dowels are pretty expensive, does anyone have a less expensive alternative?

• BunnyMuffin
        Participant
        350 posts Send Private Message

I’ve read that some people use PVC pipes and that they may be cheaper. For the cage I’m building we’re just using lengths of wood that are 1.5″x.75″ and trimming it down to get it to fit in the grids. They were around $1 for an 8 foot length, so for me it’s worth the extra effort for the price savings.

• Alicia Conklin
          Participant
          721 posts Send Private Message

Well depending on how long you need them craft dowels are really cheap and they work just fine for me.  They can only go through 2 grids though because of the length. 

• Colin
            Participant
            107 posts Send Private Message

Apparently the square dowels are much cheaper than the round ones – I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread as I want to build a new home for our 2 buns once they’re bonded.

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

someone said that they use 1 by 1 pieces of wood, square ones. they’re much cheaper… you’d have to go to a home improvement store (Home Depot or Lowe’s) they might even be able to cut them to the length you need…

• Moonlight_Wolf
                Participant

I went to home depot and this it what there was: PVC piping was pretty cheap, the square dowels are not that much less expensive than the circular ones. I would have used craft dowels, because I have heard of them, and they are cheap, but I needed the dowel to go through 3 cubes. I could not find any 1 by 1 pieces of wood there only seemed to be 1 by 2 pieces and 2 by 2 pieces.
                  I ended up buying the PVC piping because it was the cheapest and Fern would not be able to chew it, she chews the dowels I have now, I even got the guy to cut the PVC piping the exact lengths for me. I also bought a 1000 pack of zip ties. I was going to buy wood stove pellets but they were fresh out.

Thanks everyone!

• Beka27
                  Participant
                  16016 posts Send Private Message

excellent! don’t throw out the wood dowels you have now… you can maybe use them to make some kind of chew toy…

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant
                    4293 posts Send Private Message

I use 1″ X 2″ pine board, which in actual measurements is 3/4″ X 1 3/4″ and it is not nearly as expensive as wooden dowel rods. The PVC pipe I don’t feel is strong enough, especially for larger rabbits.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant
                      12067 posts Send Private Message

Too bad you aren’t close! I have an extra dowel kicking around… I’d agree I think PVC is probably much cheaper

• Dave
                        Participant
                        87 posts Send Private Message

You can always use an NIC panel turned 45 degrees like in the picture I attached.  (I hope it’s visible)  I found it is actually quite strong for Steve’s cage.

111357147071.jpg

• Moonlight_Wolf
                          Participant
                            The PVC pipe I don’t feel is strong enough, especially for larger rabbits.

But I think for a 3 pounder it would be fine.

I have a question about PVC piping, I kept finding a lot of things that said PVC had bad stuff in it that can leach out, Some places I read said it was safe some I read it was unsafe. I don’t know what to think, I hope it is safe because if it is not then I put 7 dollars down the drain!!

What do you think of PVC piping, read this article,

http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/98/pipe

and this

http://www.pvcworkshop.com/PVCsafety.htm

I really am not sure what to believe, if it is not safe I will go out and try to find something else, but I hope it is safe becuase if it is not then my mom will be very annoyed becuase something like this has happened before.

• Moonlight_Wolf
                            Participant

My mom says that It is safe, it is only unsafe if water has been sitting in it for a while or it is burned, just like all plastics, but still, what do you guys think? I am just a worry wart when it comes to keeping Fern and her environment safe.

• Dave
                              Participant
                              87 posts Send Private Message
                                Posted By Moonlight_wolf on 11/03/2008 3:12 PM

But I think for a 3 pounder it would be fine.

For a 3 pounder you can get away with a lot more.  Depending on what you are building you can almost get away without dowels and pvc pipe.  PVC will definitely be strong enough.  If your rabbit starts to chew on the PVC pipe give it something else to chew instead or attached something around the pipe that the bunny can chew that is safe.

• KatnipCrzy
                                Participant
                                2981 posts Send Private Message

You should have no safety concerns about using PVC.  Short of excessive chewing and ingestion- which is unlikely- as I think the shape and hardness of PVC should be quite discouraging to bunny teeth.  It would not be easy to get spots “started” for chewing.  Just monitor for excessive chewing as with any cage component.  Even if they chew excessively- I find it more likely that they will get “small” pieces off- like shavings as opposed to chunks or strings.

And from a viewpoint of PVC “ingredients”- I would not worry either.   PVC is commonly used for saltwater fishtank plumbing- and we use it on our tank.  And Saltwater tanks are so sensitive that if you were to use a copper fitting to regulate the flow-  you would have a lot of die off in the tank.  But there has been no issues with the PVC itself- they don’t leach anything into the water that will kill the sensitive saltwater fish and invertebrates.  So if it does not kill saltwater critters which are extremely sensitive, I would not worry at all about using it around the bunny.

I myself would not hesitate to use PVC around my bunnies if I were to do a project that involved it.

• Moonlight_Wolf
                                  Participant

Ok thanks, that makes me feel better, if it is used in fish tanks without a problem i doubt there would be a problem with my bunny. I think that the major concern about leaching bad things is it leaches into the water, and if it is good to use in a fish tank then I have nothing to worry about, thanks Katnipcrazy!

Yes it is very nice having a 3 pounder rabbit, you don’t have to worry about things too much when it comes to weight and size of the rabbit.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                    Participant
                                    4293 posts Send Private Message

Moonlight_Wolf, allow me to clarify that my comment about PVC pipe is that it is strong enough for smaller rabbits but not for larger ones like my 9 pound rabbits.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Since I am building a new cage soon…