Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Simethicone

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Vicky
      Participant
      205 posts Send Private Message

Hello, it’s that time of the year when my bun sheds like CRAZY. My bun often has problems with her belly so her only food is hay and pellets.

I brush her everyday and I give her oxbow papaya support tablets for digestion.

She also takes Profibre pellets throughout the day.

The question is:

Can i give my bun one dose of Simethicone every other day when she sheds like that? Could it do any harm?

(She really has sensitive tummy and when she sheds like that it often causes her problems so i give Simethicone)

Thank you

• Azerane
        4688 posts Send Private Message

I’ve read some things now that seem to suggest that simethicone doesn’t really do much in rabbits. In addition, simethicone is for gas problems, not fur block. Basically I don’t think it will help, but pretty sure there is no harm in administering if you wanted to.

I’ve found daily brushing to be the best preventative when it comes to problems during shedding season.

• Vicky
            Participant

That’s the thing, always when i saw my bun was feeling unwell i gave simethicone and it seem to really help her.

I brush her she just doesn’t let me brush longer than 15-20 minutes then she is done haha

• Bam
            16872 posts Send Private Message

Many vets say it cant work because rabbits can burp. They can however  fart. In my experience, simethicone often makes a difference.

It’s not taken up by the body, it stays in the GI canal, then gets pooped out. It’s considered harmless in normal amounts (i e if you give a rabbit a ridiculous amount of anything, anything would be harmful). Both Medirabbit and Dana Krempels recommend simethicone on suspicion of gas.

• Vicky
                Participant

I don’t really understand the first sentence ” Many vets say it cant work because rabbits can burp. ”

Is it only used with gas? Because when my rabbit had problems, i saw mine pushing her stomach to floor feeling uncomfortable. I gave simethicone and it was all good after three doses.

• pinkiemarie
                  Participant
                  414 posts Send Private Message

I think they meant to say can’t burp. My rabbit was visibly uncomfortable once and refusing to eat but after a dose of simethicone he was fine. I do think it works if the problem is gas.

• LBJ10
                  16899 posts Send Private Message

Yes, pressing their belly to the floor is a sign of gas pain. Simethicone is for gas. It certainly doesn’t hurt anything and if your bunny is getting gassy from ingesting fur, then I don’t see any harm in giving some during a molt. If it helps, great!

• Vicky
                      Participant

Yes this is the thing i meant! She gets gassy from ingesting fur, because after i gave somethicone she went to litter box and there was fur in her droppings.

Thank you very much! I will keep giving her

• Bam
                      16872 posts Send Private Message

Oh sorry! “Can’t burp” is what I was meaning to write! 😬 🤪

And yes, pressing the belly against the floor is a typical sign of gas. Many buns get gassy when the molt. Gas is a consequence of a gut slowdown.

Viewing 4 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Simethicone