Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Silly Topic: Rabbits as opposed to a lawn mower

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Harley&Thumper
      Participant
      444 posts Send Private Message

So I will be moving to a house with about a 1000 sq. ft. lawn. Would 3 rabbits be enough to keep the grass at a reasonable height? Would I need to rescue more from the local shelter?

• Bunny House
        Participant
        1241 posts Send Private Message

I think that is a cute idea and wanted mine to be lawnmowers for me! And of course more reasons for adopting But you have to think about a couple of things:
          (Some others may not see these as possibilities but I do)

Other animals coming into the yard might have bad bugs in them and they make droppings in the yard and then the buns eat the droppings and get sick

Poisonous weeds hiding in the grass

Pesticides used on the grass by previous owner

Poisonous items put in the yard that haven’t washed away from the yard yet

Some bird dropping may have seeds in them that are poisonous to buns

I love the idea but I don’t know how safe it would be for them but maybe some others have done the same and have good ways to help prevent some of the issues!

• sarahthegemini
          Participant
          5584 posts Send Private Message

Oh I think they’d manage but if you want it done in a more timely manner, definitely hire, oops I mean adopt a few more

• Harley&Thumper
            Participant
            444 posts Send Private Message

The grass has been treated with fertilizers, how long should I wait before I let the bunnies eat the grass? Also, if my little helpers can’t keep up with the grass, is it safe for me to mow the lawn and then let them eat the grass? I don’t know if oils from the lawn mower will make the grass unsafe.

• Dface
              Participant
              1084 posts Send Private Message

Lawn mown grass isn’t safe to feed, the heat in the grass causes it to ferment slightly and it causes stasis.

Rabbits need to be introduced very slowly to grass or they’ll get stasis so for the first few weeks, offer them small cuttings of grass, and gradually increase the amount.

In terms of needing to adopt more… Keep in mind the stress of bonding ?

As for fertiliser it will take a lot of heavy rain to leach it through the soil to be safe-so if its dry it’ll take longer. (keep in mind rabbits will dig down into the soil so you need to give the fertiliser time to get out of it) and after 2 lawn cuts-as fertiliser grown grass contains it (depending on the type of fertiliser-I’m assuming a very toxic one)

• Gina.Jenny
                Participant
                2244 posts Send Private Message

I use bunnies and used to use piggies as lawn mowers, we currently have five bunnies, on a 10 m square garden that hs never been treated, it was laid new when we moved in dec 2000.

first thing to be aware of, you will never have a nice even garden. some bits will be cut down to the ground, others left til there is nothing else to eat, ours is only short everywhere now due to the recent heatwave and lack of rain, normally there are loads of tufts that every bun/piggy has turned their nose up at. yes seeds get dropped, by birds, like ragwort. these can be watched out for and removed, but rabbits aren’t daft and wont eat these anyway as long as there is something else nicer to eat, any more that they would in the wild.

regarding the feriliser, I’d leave it over the winter to wash in well, and start the bunnies out for short trips in runs maybe feb. bonding isnt necessarily an issue, ours go out in separate runs in pairs in runs along side each other works just fine and it is easier to move 3 runs around.

hand cut grass cuttings i e using shears or a pair of scissors is ok, i do this in winter. cut well above the ground to avoid fertilizer and like any new food introduce slowly. its the heat from the mower causes the grass to start to ferment

• Bunny House
                  Participant
                  1241 posts Send Private Message

Oh yeah true! And I agree with the above, You would need to make enclosed areas with a top on it for the buns so no predators can come in and grab them, big birds are great at doing that to small animals. It would be a lot of work but they can enjoy outside and help maintain your grass.

• VirginiaMet
                      Participant
                      1 posts Send Private Message

First of all, thanks. To everyone who contributed. It was something that worked for me.

• Wick & Fable
                        5781 posts Send Private Message

Welcome to BinkyBunny! Since this is an old topic, you’re unlikely to get replies back so I will lock it for now.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                    • The topic ‘Silly Topic: Rabbits as opposed to a lawn mower’ is closed to new replies.

Forum THE LOUNGE Silly Topic: Rabbits as opposed to a lawn mower