Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Shy bunny needs nails trimmed?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Mirpanda
      Participant
      43 posts Send Private Message

Hello! My boy, Bugs, needs his nails trimmed. The humane society told me that he does really good with nail trims and he is very good with being handled. The thing is that he is still very shy and scared of me. He’s hardly came out of his cage and its been about three weeks. I don’t want to ruin what ever trust has been established by picking him up out of his cage…. What should I do?

• Asriel and Bombur
        Participant
        1104 posts Send Private Message

If you can get him to go in his carrier, a vet can usually do it.

• Mirpanda
          Participant

Okay, I haven’t tried to get him into a carrier yet. He came out of his cage a little bit a coupe days ago, but then I rearranged their cages (literally just moved them so Bugs’ cage is on the left side of Lola’s instead of the right so its easier to access his cage) 3 days ago and now he won’t come out of his cage. Should I be worried??

• Asriel and Bombur
            Participant
            1104 posts Send Private Message

Nahhh. Asriel used to be like that. The first month or so he almost never came out. He’d come out in little bursts and then run right back in. Almost 2 years later and he loves to be out and get all the love. Some buns just take a while to feel comfortable in their surroundings. If you can, when he’s in his litter pan take the whole kit-and-caboodle out with him in it and put him in a small area with the carrier. Yes, sometimes it does get stressful, but usually backing them into a corner so the only place for them to go is the carrier works.

• Mirpanda
              Participant

The more I learn the more I feel like owning a bunny is VERY similar to having a toddler lol. Sometimes I have to do what needs to be done, even if it gives me just as much anxiety as it does him lol. Thanks for all your help!

• Kiki
                Participant
                205 posts Send Private Message

I have found that sometimes you have to force them out of their bunny comfort zone. I don’t think you are going to ruin trust by taking him out of his cage, and the quickest way to build trust is through healthy treats if he/she is old enough.

• Meg
                  Participant
                  560 posts Send Private Message

I love that you’re thinking about this. Your bun might also be more likely to come out of his cage if there’s a nice hidey house nearly — you can make one out of a cardboard box — it just needs at least two doors.

Also, once you are trimming, this method is the best! Changed my world: https://www.howcast.com/videos/514678-how-to-trim-your-rabbits-nails-pet-rabbits

• Mirpanda
                    Participant

Thanks guys!
                      Asreil- I got him into his carrier then put it in the middle of the living room and he’s been hopping around out of his cage for about an hour straight now!! Thank you for the idea!!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Shy bunny needs nails trimmed?