Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Should my rabbits travel by car or airline cargo?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Kayla_mac1
      Participant
      34 posts Send Private Message

Hello,

I have two bonded rabbits aged 5 years and 7.5 years. I am wondering if it is best for them to travel with us in the car for 4 days, with a 10 hr drive the first day, 6 hr boat ride in the car overnight, and approximately 7.5 hours of driving each day for the next 3 days. We have found some pet friendly hotels and will bring a x pen so hopefully they can relax in the evenings. Our other option is to put them in airline cargo by themselves for approximately a 3.5 hour flight, if the flight is direct. They have flown in the cabin with us before so are somewhat used to airline travel, even though I am concerned that cargo would be a lot more stressful. Either option the rabbits will travel together in a large carrier designed for a small dog.

This situation is certainly less than ideal but I need to transport them since I will be relocating for 8 months. If anybody could offer insight on what they believe my best option is, I would appreciate it very much.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

I would not do airline cargo. The pressure and temp changes can be really dangerous for bunnies. I’m assuming there is no option to have them in the cabin with you?

I just drove cross country with my 4 buns (6 days driving, buns aged 1, 3, 6, and 12) and they handled it much better than I was expecting!

I would talk to your vet and have them set you up with pain meds and some fluids for the journey. You might end up needing to syringe feed if a bun refuses to eat. I had one bun that I gave metacam and syringe fed the second half of the trip, but she was fine once we got to our destination.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Kayla_mac1
          Participant
          34 posts Send Private Message

Yes, cabin is not an option because I need to drive. But thank you for that information, it’s very helpful. I would not have thought of bringing metacam but now I will check that out!

• LBJ10
            16908 posts Send Private Message

Yes, I think driving would be less stressful.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Should my rabbits travel by car or airline cargo?