Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Should I rehome my rabbit or get him a friend

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • EBrath
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

I am struggling with this debate at the moment if I should rehome my rabbit Ralph I originally adopted him and his previous owners didn’t want him anymore or if I should get him a friend.
        i absolutely love animals and I have quite a few and the other people living in my house are not huge fans of them however they are okay with them. I originally started looking for a friend for Ralph and he has now been neutered etc and he is starting to act lonely.
        i just don’t know if it is the right thing to get another rabbit as I have other pets or rehome him.

any advice appreciated!

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

To overly simplify your options, you are deciding between 1) giving yourself more work, responsibility, etc. (i.e., getting a second rabbit) or 2) relieving yourself of work (i.e., rehoming). While cold-hearted to frame it like that, I hope this framing captures how very different these decisions are, not only on their impacts for Ralph, but also your life moving forward.

Getting a friend for Ralph may be a substantial amount of work, depending on resources available to you. If you do not have a rescue around that will bond your rabbits for you, then you will need to create space in your home to bond rabbits, which can take a couple weeks to months. If, on top of no bonding services, you also are unable to “speed-date” Ralph with rabbits before bringing one home, there is always a chance that the rabbit “friend” you chose is not compatible with Ralph, so now you have two rabbits who need to live separated, permanently in your space. Speed-dating and having experienced bonders do this process for you greatly maximizes your chances of a successful bond. If you have a rescue that will speed-date and do the bonding for you, it sounds like this would be much more compatible with your current situation (though keep in mind another rabbit means needing more space).

Ultimately, if you feel you cannot care for Ralph, rehoming can be a tough and the best decision. There are things you can do to help ensure Ralph is rehomed to a great place: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Rehoming_your_rabbit

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• EBrath
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Thank you so much for the advice. After sleeping on it I think I’m going to rehome him as he deserves the best life possible and I feel I am questioning if I can give him that

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Should I rehome my rabbit or get him a friend