Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Should i give my bunnies a blanket?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ms.Marshmallow
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

I currently have my 2 rabbits in a cage with vinyl tile floors. I kinda feel bad for them because they sleep on a hard floor. However I read that rabbits don’t really need any sort of bedding. I’m thinking of putting some fleece down to make it more comfortable. Do rabbits even care? I find it easy to sweep up their cage quickly and while I want to make them comfortable, cleaning is going to be harder. Do you use fleece and how do you do your daily cleanings?

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

I use fleece and vet beds and rag rugs for my bunny. He likes to sleep on sth soft. I shake out the fleece blankets to get rid of hay and poop and wash them every week or as often as needed.

You can cut a fleece blanket in halves to make them more manageable for you. And when you give blankets to your buns, observe them so you see if they’re eating the blankets. Practically all buns will gnaw many, many holes in fleece, but it’s only if they actually eat the material that it’s bad. If they just ingest a little bit it’s ok. Don’t buy any expensive, fancy blankets -they will be destroyed.

Fleece is good for digging and dragging around too, so its a good choice for buns. Bedding is best avoided except in the litterbox, that helps them distinguish between toilet and non-toilet.

• YandereCapybara
          Participant
          58 posts Send Private Message

One of my buns likes blankets, and the other one uses hers as a chew toy.
            If you’re worried about them sleeping on a hard floor, I find that it’s nice to put down a towel on the floor for them.
            Try washing the towel maybe once per week or as needed, although with my non-litter trained bunny, we have to replace the towel every week

• Rain
            Participant
            547 posts Send Private Message

You could buy a cheap memory foam mat! I worried the same for Rain because he was a baby when I got him. I still worry now because I know I wouldn’t like to sleep on tiles. Yikes! Memory foam mats are loved by a lot of rabbits. Even my bun who puts everything in his mouth leaves the mat alone and sleeps on it. They are easy to wash too!

• Heaven
              Participant
              256 posts Send Private Message

In my own experience, my rabbit genuinely doesn’t care about sleeping on soft things.

He actually really likes to sleep next to “edges” of things though (beside a cushion, alongside a rug, in a doorway etc). He’s free roam but has a large cage with the doors always open, and of course he has dug up the soft lining from one corner and chooses to sleep on the hard plastic base. Sometimes he sleeps tucked in next to his litter box.

Unknowable bunny reasons… :p

• Bam
                16877 posts Send Private Message

Heaven, there are so many unknowable bunny reasons!!! I’m sure they are real reasons only us humans are too dumb to ever understand them. Some buns do prefer hard floors to lie on. My Bam is getting on in years, maybe that’s why he likes to lie on soft stuff. In nature buns don’t line their warrens with anything, it’s only the kits that get wrapped in their mama’s fur. So they don’t make cosy nests for themselves. But my Yohio loved digging in blankets. He’d also spend a lot of time dragging them into a cardboard house, then pulling them out again.

• Sirius&Luna
                  Participant
                  2319 posts Send Private Message

My bunnies like the edges of things too. Its very odd, but they’re always lying against the edge of the rug.

Luna hates fleeces with a passion, but I got her a cheap rag rug and now she’s always on that. She’s never shown any interest in chewing it. Atlas and Nimbus love their fleeces, and are often found on them.

• Bladesmith
                    Participant
                    849 posts Send Private Message

My girls LOVE sleeping on things. On the sofa. On the love seat. On boxes. In boxes. In MY recliner. But they really love sleeping on the old tattered towels I put on all of them. Clover loves to dig at them, pull them around the couch and floor, and even over herself like a blanket. She’ll drag it off the couch and onto the floor, then dig at it, bunch it up, crawl under it, throw it around. Then she’ll throw herself into the middle of the muddled mess, flop down, let out a huge sigh, and go to sleep.
                      I try not to giggle, but…..

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Should i give my bunnies a blanket?