Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Should I get a rabbit?

Viewing 38 reply threads
  • Author
    • sdrabbitlvr
      Participant
      9 posts Send Private Message

I’m thinking about getting a rabbit…I have always loved rabbits, but I have never had one.

I started reading up about rabbits, and now I feel as though I could tell you anything about rabbits. [How did that happen?]

Now I have decided that I want to get a rabbit. But I’m not sure if I should or if I am the right person to have a rabbit.

I currently have two guinea pigs, and I love them. I take very good care of them. Their care is similar to a rabbit’s, I have learned.

I have about two hours per day to provide supervised exercise, and I could provide probably about 4 hours of unsupervised playtime. I’m not sure if this is ok or not. Is it ok for rabbits to have unsupervised playtime in a bunny-safe room?

Do you absoutely HAVE TO provide a cup of vegetables PER day PER rabbit? That sounds crazy and very expensive! I don’t feed my guinea pigs the cup of vegetables per day per pig like I am apparently supposed to, but they are perfectly healthy. Rabbits can live on diets of just hay and pellets and water and can still be healthy. But they can also be happy and healthy with a diet of hay, water, pellets, and vegetables. So I think that it should be fine to feed either diet.

How much does it cost per month to take care of a rabbit for you?

I’m probably going to get a bonded pair … does this increase your expenditures by a lot, or just a little? [As opposed to a single rabbit?]

How long does it take YOU to provide care for your rabbit(s) on a daily basis?

What should I know before I adopt my rabbit(s)?

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Yes, rabbits should have vegetables – pellets were designed for breeding and your rabbit will be a house rabbit. Remember rabbits are herbivores and what do herbivores eat – plants! I think if you asked your vet they would tell you that the primary element of a rabbits diet is HAY and then vegetables and well water, that’s a given and pellets (if any) are the smallest part of their diet if they are even given any. So if you are feeding a rabbit what they should be eating and not what the commercial or breeders market feeds them then you are going to have to take on this expense. And lets face it, do you want to live on just pellets, hay and water? Probably not, we all need a nice variety in our diets. It’s not about what’s easy, it’s about what is right for your rabbit. The good thing is that you can share the hay with the guinea pigs and the rabbits and possibly the vet too since many vets who see guinea pigs probably see rabbits too.

Obviously the more exercise time you can give your rabbit the better.

In my own personal experience, I find rabbits to be very costly because I give fresh greens and also I find my vet bills are not cheap (my rabbits are all over 7 years old so some have more vet bills due to age related illnesses).

I agree that for the most part rabbits care is closest to the care of a guinea pig than a dog or a cat.

• katie, max & penny
          Participant
          956 posts Send Private Message

rabbits need vegetables for sure.
            i would encourage you to look at the site’s information: https://binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/tabid/53/Default.aspx
            it answers all your questions.

• skibunny8503
            Participant
            1338 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits love veggies so I’d recommend feeding them veggies. Look around at different stores and compare prices. I was getting my veggies from Giant Eagle and they sell by the pound and prices go up and down all the time but now I get mine at Walmart where you can get a big thing of lettuce (depending on which kind you get) from 89 cents to $1.50. I buy a couple different kinds and usually 3 of each so it lasts me for awhile. We probably get more about every other week depending on how much we get. In the summer you can save a lot more by actually growing your own lettuce.
              Research everything before you get a rabbit and see if you can afford it. Look for big bales of hay instead of the small bags at stores. I get a big bale of timothy hay from a farm and it only cost me $3! We bought it in the summer and we still have 1/2 left! Just make sure you have some place you can store it that won’t get it moldy.
              For litter, I use a wood pelleted litter.  It’s called Equine Pine (or you can use wood stove pellets).  They’re for horses but can also be used for rabbit’s litter.  It’s safe and very cheap.  I get a 40lb bag at Tractor Supply for $6! 
              Don’t forget to add the expensive of bring it to the vet for a yearly check up (call different vets and make sure they take rabbits and are experts on them and see what they’re prices are) and save extra money in case of a medical emergency (rabbits are considered exotic).
              The more rabbits you have, the more expensive (esp. vet bills). My vet charges $42 a visit ($24 of a fecal examine). You also need a bigger cage for the rabbits to run around if you get 2. If you provide a big space then they can run around in there if you can’t provide as much out time. I have 3 rabbits (2 are bonded, one is going to be bonded for a trio) and both cages take up 1/2 of our office. But we still let them run around as much as possible.
              I can’t say how long it takes me to provide care for them because I’m a housewife so I’m home pretty much all the time.
              If you research well and believe you have financial means to take care of them, then I think you are ready. I’d highly recommend getting rabbits at a shelter (sometimes you can even find bonded pairs). They are a little more expensive than at a petstore (at least where I am they are) but they are usually fixed and it can cost a lot to have a rabbit fixed. By us it cost around $250!

And if you really don’t know for sure if you want one or not, the best thing I can recommend is go to a shelter and foster a rabbit. Sometimes they will provide you with a cage and they will pay for the vet bills. And if you decide you like your foster then you can always adopt them. Fostering is the best thing because you can get to know the rabbits personality and if you don’t want to adopt it, they you wait for it to get adopted and foster a different one.
              Hope this helps and good luck!

• BunnyLiz
              Participant
              1212 posts Send Private Message

How much does it cost?  Id say I spend $50ish a month for a singe bun, but I have three so you do the math lol.  And vets are extremely expensive, I have $2000 set aside in case I need it for an illness.  But the cost before you get the bun is big too, check this out. https://www.binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/Costof…fault.aspx

And how much time is tough.  Id say with my three id spend at least 8 hours a day watching them or caring for them.  But the recommended daily play time is at least 3 hours a day.  Two of mine are bonded so they can share play times.  There are certain things that you can get cheap, like litter, but many others, like veggies, are to important to ignore the cost of.

• Adalaide
                Participant
                433 posts Send Private Message

I wouldn’t dream of not giving Freya veggies. My vet who is quite experienced with exotics and buns (as a vet MUST be to be halfway competant when dealing with a bun) explained, as already stated, that veggies are the second most important part of her diet. I don’t have the cash set aside for emergancies, but there is an available credit card in case something happens. I spend $12.99 on a bag of pellets that lasts about 3 weeks (only because she’s isn’t an adult yet) and she eats between $5 and $10 worth of hay in a month. Her litter is about $15 a month. The price on veggies has been next to nothing since we have a garden, but I expect I’ll spend between $20 and $30 a month with winter coming on. Of course, I’m a super savvy shopper and spend a fair amount of time checking ads for the best deals, it could be a lot more then that if I’m not careful. As for time… I would say it takes maybe 5 minutes to do morning maintenance. Changing litter, feeding her, giving her water, trying to talk her into letting me pet her. Then there’s the veggies later and just generally making sure she has everything she needs. Maybe 10 minutes a day. Once a week I spend an hour making sure her condo is spotless. Of course then there’s exercise time. Some buns would be perfectly ok in a completely bunny proof room to be alone. Freya on the other hand I wouldn’t trust in out of her condo for 5 minutes unsupervised no matter how bunny proof I think everything is. She’ll conjure trouble one way or another, what a brat. I only have Freya, but I imagine that costs would automatically double to add a bun since nearly all the cost is feeding them. Oh… and don’t forget toys. You’ll have to constantly keep toys and chew things coming. A bun with nothing to chew will be bored, miserable and destructive. A bun without proper chewing toys will have teeth problems. The baseboard around the bottom of the wall is NOT a proper chew toy, no matter what your bun thinks.

• Desma
                  Participant
                  182 posts Send Private Message

There were very few times I ran out of fresh veggies but when I did, taking her outside and letting her nibble on lovely thick grass was a delight. You just have to sure that nobody sprayed the lawn with chemical stuff because that can turn out tragic. Also, clover is very good for them and dandelions but if you are in Australia, I am not sure that you have a dandelion substitute. The clover that honey bees love is like candy to my Hunny

• Beka27
                    Participant
                    16016 posts Send Private Message

Veggies are a requirement. Your research has indicated feeding one cup per rabbit per day… but in reality, the recommendation is 2 cups per rabbit per day, AT LEAST, and most of us feed up to 4 cups per rabbit per day. We spend about $60 a month on fresh produce for our two rabbits. This is not including hay costs, litter costs, or pellets. We buy hay in bulk ($70 for 6 months), we use woodstove pellets (maybe $50 over a year), so the only other large expensive would be the pellets we feed (high quality Oxbow Timothy) which is about $20 every 3 months or so…

This is not taking vet care into consideration. You can save A LOT of money by adopting a rabbit that has already been spay/neutered. That is the ABSOLUTE best thing you can do to save money and provide a home to a rabbit in need.

• sdrabbitlvr
                      Participant
                      9 posts Send Private Message

If veggies are a REQUIREMENT as you say, they why do plenty of local humane societies and animal shelters feed only hay, water, and pellets to the rabbits?
                        I will, obviously, feed vegetables but nothing like four cups! That’s CRAZY.
                        Thanks for your help, though, guys. I appreciate it. And I’ve kind of decided that rabbits aren’t the pets for me. :-l

• ScooterandAnnette
                        Participant
                        1090 posts Send Private Message

Local humane societies typically feed only the food items that are donated to them, and my guess would be that no one is donating carrots and romaine. For instance ours feeds the cats and dogs exclusively Iams products, which kind of sucks when an animal doesn’t like the Iams. But just because that’s all that’s being fed doesn’t mean that’s all that’s required, just means that they don’t have anyone to donate what they need.
                          – Annette

• MooBunnay
                          Participant
                          3087 posts Send Private Message

I think that Annette is probably correct, and in general most human societies are most familiar with dogs and cats and not as much with rabbits. They probably only feed things that can be stored, and it is very difficult to store veggies if you do not have a refridgerator. I think that it would not be as expensive if you were to purchase a head of romaine and a couple bunches of parsley, which I think would last 3 days, thats only about $2.50-$3.00 at Wal-Mart. I have 8 bunnies, so in order to get them all of their veg I buy a few heads of lettuce and bunches of different herbs each week and use them throughout the week. It comes out to about $2.00 per day for me to feed my bunnies their veg. I also planted some herbs to give the bunnies fresh veg!

• BinkyBunny
                            8776 posts Send Private Message

Posted By sdrabbitlvr on 10/11/2009 05:55 PM
                              If veggies are a REQUIREMENT as you say, they why do plenty of local humane societies and animal shelters feed only hay, water, and pellets to the rabbits?
                              I will, obviously, feed vegetables but nothing like four cups! That’s CRAZY. 

I have volunteered at a rabbit rescue for many years, as well as worked AND volunteered and two different Humane Societies/SPCA. The reason that the greens are not given OR they are given in smaller amounts is lack of money, storage and resources to get the amount that all the bunnies really need. Just like a MINIMUM of  few hours of exercise is ideal for bunnies, shelters can’t give that to all their bunnies everyday either.  So just because  a rabbit may be in a cage most of the time at a shelter, doesn’t mean that that is the best way for them.  The same goes for diet.    Shelters are doing the very best they can which may fall short of what a forever home would give their animals, but that is their main goal in the first place – to find a forever home where someone can give them a healthier diet, more exercise and more love and attention. 

So  though I know it may sound like a  ”CRAZY” amount of greens, it actually is more along the lines of what a bunny’s natural digestive system is meant for,as well as it keeps them hydrated as not all bunnies are big water drinkers.  If people are breeding rabbits, my understanding is they want to use more of a pellet based diet as breeding does and growing bunnies need more calorie intake, but for neutered/spayed bunnies that hang out, run a bit and lounge around, greens are a great way to fill them up,  without overloading on high calorie intake. 

Looks like you have decided not to get a bunny at this time, but I commend you for checking it all out first.  That is very important and I wish more people did that.  If you do decide to later to get a bunny, you know where to come for info!  In the meantime – enjoy your piggies!

• Beka27
                              Participant

I’d like to wish you luck and have fun with your piggies! We’re always here too if you have any questions in the future!

• Sarita
                                Participant

BinkyBunny is correct about humane society, rescues, shelters, etc…it’s a matter of costs and resources – they would love to feed their rabbits fresh veggies but they usually don’t have the refrigeration storage nor do they have the money to purchase fresh veggies frequently. It’s a bottom line cost thing sometimes.

• XxBunnyxX
                                  Participant
                                  14 posts Send Private Message

Hi It only coasts me £20 pounds a month but we normally have veg in the house so it is quite cheep 

hope that helps

• bunnycutie
                                    Participant
                                    549 posts Send Private Message

i dont have too much to offer, but bunnies can have unsupervised play in a bunny safe room. of course, they need lots of interaction, more than a piggie actually(i had a GP for 6 years). also beware, have money handy because just feeding them is expensive. total buttons take about 3 hours out of my day. heres the time breaks:

1 hour-unsupervised play
                                      1 hour-interactive play(when i play with him)
                                      1 hour-feeding/grooming/cage cleaning

i personally beleave that bunnies can live a healthy and happy lifeon limited pellets and unlimited grass hay. i know, shoot me. i admit it. go ahead get it over with. i think veggies are healthy, but not NECESSARY.

heres what buttons eats each day:

1/4 cup oxbow bunny bacis T
                                      unlimited timothy&brome hay

^^thats it. kill me now. yup yup yup. i just have different beleifs.

heres when i pull the last straw…sorry but i have to be honest.

veggies are not a regular part of buttons diet. they are more of treats. (they were  a big part a week or two ago)oh the pain of confessions.

my guinea pig always had 1/2 cup of pigie food and a hanful of hay eahc day. with of course a few leaves of romaine lettuce and some baby carrots.

*hears gun shots and people yelling. sees a crowd with pitch forks off in the distance* OH NO! THE BINKYBUNNY RIOT IS COMING TO GET ME! AHHH!

please beka dont yell at me *shrinks away in corner*

• Jenna, Chubs & Comet
                                      Participant
                                      617 posts Send Private Message

I agree that veggis aren’t NECESSARY necessarily, but I know my buns really love them and they sure don’t hurt! Also, I have found that they don’t have to be super expensive. My buns love cilantro and parsley and cellery- all veggies that are very very cheap. They also like Romaine and sprouts which are a little more but those first 3 I can buy for about $6-7 a week! And they both get about 2 1/2 cups or more a day. They can survive without it, but I can survive without veggies too, doesn’t mean I SHOULD. Plus, I can’t deprive those little faces!

• bunnycutie
                                        Participant

yesssssssssssssssssss! go jnc317! someone agrees! yay!

• Jenna, Chubs & Comet
                                          Participant

I will add though, to sdrabitlvr, that if you feel at all uncertain about getting a rabbit- Don’t do it! They do take time, and they can be messy little boogers, and they do cost money to feed, speuter and especially if they get sick! It’s also difficult to leave town or anything, since they need a trusted bunny sitter! They are joyful, amazing pets but like any animal- you have to really want to be committed to them! And bunnicutie, to be clear, I think a rabbit can survive just fine without veggies, BUT would I suggest not giving them daily veggies? No. Not to pick on you, or lol, get a pitch fork? Haha, I think they can do okay without them but that veggies are very good for them and also are so tasty for them! So I would still recommend the minimum 2 cups a day!

• Sarita
                                            Participant

I disagree that veggies aren’t necessary. Pellets are more of a problem for rabbits than anything else. A healthy rabbit diet consist mainly of hay, then veggies and little or no pellets. Sure they can survive without veggies but that’s not the best diet out there and we are trying to advocate what’s best for our rabbits and a pellet only diet is not the best diet for a rabbit.

• Balefulregards
                                              Participant
                                              715 posts Send Private Message

I spend about 35 dollars per week on Greens alone. When Coco was a single bun, It was – at most 15 dollars a week – but she is small ( a Dutch).

Jackson made a HUGE difference. He is a power eater and he eats ALOT. Right now their salad consists of

4 bunches of flat leaf parsley
                                                4 bunches of mint
                                                4 bunches of cilantro
                                                3 bunches of dill
                                                2 large bunches of dandelion
                                                1 large head chicory
                                                2 large heads of romaine

I chop it all up, and put it in a giant plastic bag in the bottom of the fridge.
                                                It usually lasts about 5 days…sometimes six if I am lucky.

As to their pellets, I think of them like junk food. You COULD live on MacDonald’s, but would you want to? Coco gets about 4 tblspoons ( or a kids medicine cup full) whereas Jackson gets about a 1/4th of a cup per night as he is my big galoof.

Otherwise it is Hay, Hay, Hay. I am a mixer of hay, so I buy all the Oxbow varieties and switch them out daily. My hay bill is about 30 dollars per month.

There is also the cost of rabbit proofing – or the cost of NOT rabbit proofing and having to replace cords galore.

Jackson and Coco are free roam for about 18 hours a day, I only cage them at night and once Coco stops night peeing ( a side effect of the bonding process) they will be out 24/7.

But I agree with Sarita – shelters are giving the bare minimum, due to space and resources. It is better to have a rescued Bun in a cage on pellets, than one they can’t take in who is released into the wild or fed to a larger predator.

That was actually one of the reasons I agreed to foster Jackson – to open a space in the shelter for another bun. I knew I could provide a better place for him ( with Veggies and open play space) than having him stay in the shelter. And if it came to the worst and he and Coco did not bond, then he would be much more “Human ready” in his forever home by having lived with us.

But like BB, I commend you for thinking this through. Many of us ( and I am at the forefront of this) Ended Up with a rabbit and then had to learn what to do. I was not aware of the cost and time they would take up in care, feeding and litter .

Are they worth it?

Oh Yes.

• bunnycutie
                                                Participant

bagelful-what a huge salad! OMG!

• Karla
                                                  Participant
                                                  1624 posts Send Private Message

My boyfriend is moaning about how much money we spend on greens for our two bunnies. And I spent loads on getting Molly spayed – she cost me approximately $500, so think about this as well.

But bunnies are not just about greens and how much it cost. They take up a lot of time as well. They need exercise and plenty of space to roam about, they need their litterbox cleaned every day (mine do at least), you can spend endless amounts of time on litter training them and still they will insist on peeing and pooping outside the designated area. I have to hoover every day, because of the hay, and because they insist on eating outside the cage. Mine are not particularly keen on being petted – well, they do enjoy it, but it has to be when they want it and not for long. They just prefer to hang around and see what I do.

As soon as I get home from work my tasks are to clean the litterbox, pick up an endless amounts of droppings, wipe up some pee, hoover the floor AND THEN…sit down and talk and entertain the two devils. I spend the afternoon with them until my boyfriend comes home. So they do really take up a lot of time, and it is not just all about cuddling and having fun. I wouldn’t say rabbits are for everyone – I have to admit, that Molly is a bit of a mouthfull at times because of her bad litter habits, and there was no way of knowing she would be like this. Don’t get me wrong, I love bunnies, but they are not as easy as people always think.

• bunnycutie
                                                    Participant

boy they are alot of work oh boy oh boy but i love them. they are 100% worth everything!

• BinkyBunny

Regarding the whole “Necessary” idea. I guess the bottomline as far as “NECESSARY” is what meaning you put to it.  If it is just a life or death thing – Can a bunny live without greens? Yes. Just like…Can a bunny live in a cage with minimal exercise? Yes. But if necessary means a healthy happier life that is recommended by many rabbit-savvy vets and house rabbit advocates then greens would be necessary for that goal.

Jack is on a greens and hay only diet (recommended by his vet), and Vivian, just by default is also on that diet (though she does get a small amount of pellets a few times a week), and I must say their fur has been softer than ever – maybe due to more hydration? Who knows.

I have to buy a ton of greens, so I put them in a very large(but flatish) tupperware that has holes in it and it takes up the whole bottom shelf in the refrigerator. I line the bottom of the tupperware with paper towels as well as cover the top of the greens with paper towel. If I don’t do this, ice collects on the greens because of the all the moisture. (might be our refrigerator too – it’s not the best)

I also agree with Karla – it definitely takes up so much more time to take care of rabbits than many think!

• Jenna, Chubs & Comet
                                                        Participant

That was my idea behind necessary. They can survive without greens but I wouldn’t want mine to have to. They are good for them and they love them! I can survive without veggies too but it wouldn’t be a healthy thing to do. I think as pet owners, it’s our responsibility to feed our pets the best and healthiest diet we can- just like we would with a baby. We want what’s best for them and for a bunny, that includes greens! I guess I didn’t portray that point very well…

• Jenna, Chubs & Comet
                                                          Participant

Oh and to add one more point, I am a firm firm believer (as I’m sure many of us are) that once you get a pet, it’s for life. I would never get an animal that I would be responsible for, for up to 14 or so years, without really thinking it through. I’m deffinitely a “Type A” and I researched bunnies like crazy, for weeks, before I even started looking.

I am dying to get a dog to add to my animal family but the kind of dog I want is very large (a Newfoundland) and I owe to that future pet to wait until I’m in a more permanent living situation. I caved on the bunnies because it’s much easier to find a place that allows small animals as opposed to dogs that weigh up to 150 lbs. And I know that I’m committed enough to find a place that will allow my bunnies, even if it means using that bunny lease that someone recently posted. I wouldn’t give them up for anything, but a dog may be harder to accomodate so I know I have to wait.

Now, not saying that everyone has to be a little fanatic like me, haha! But still, I would recommend never getting a pet on a whim. I got my hair chopped on a whim last year and hated it for a whole year while it grew back! Pets are around much longer than a bad hair cut and we owe it to them to consider if we can really give them a life they deserve.

That felt preachy…but my friend mentioned in passing today that she needs to start looking for a new home for he dog (that she got just a year ago) because she’s moving and “doesn’t want the hassle”. I about died.

• angelicvampyre
                                                            Participant
                                                            754 posts Send Private Message

jnc317 – I run a bird shelter and I end up with birds that have life spands of 70+ years that people have had for a year or sometimes less and got bored of or did not bother to train or just over the whole bird “thing” and I then have to find these poor bubs new homes. When i got my rabbit I was like “Oh it’s only a 10+ year commitment that’s nothing” because the last two birds I got had life spans of over 40 years! (however I lost both of them to illness that they came to me with )

Yes Bunnies take time and yes their will always be an argument on how much time and how much food and what food. I spoke to three different Bunny vets and got three different answers as to what to feed them and how much. I cna’t tell you how many birds and other animals that I see people have and keep them in what I perceive to be the wrong cage/hutch, however on the other side of the coin with my Eckkie alot of people said that her cage was far to small for her even though I believed it to be big enough and she got large amounts of out of the cage time.

• minilop22
                                                              Participant
                                                              5 posts Send Private Message

• Jenna, Chubs & Comet
                                                                Participant

Not to argue but…

The green leafy veggies are actually the best kind for bunnies! Carrots are more of a treat food, because they’re high in natural sugar and should be given rather sparingly. Hay is the most important element of their diet, then leafy green veggies, then pellets. Carrots are good treats though, and so are bits of apples, and bananas.

Also, rabbits don’t have to born and raised together to bond. In fact, sometimes once they go through puberty they can no longer get along with litter mates and have to be bonded, just as they would to any other non-related bunny. Bonding can be difficult but it’s not impossible and you can make it easier by doing bunny “dates” first.

**On a separate note, I can’t believe that about the birds! So sad…

• RachelB
                                                                  Participant
                                                                  237 posts Send Private Message

minilop- Welcome to the forum….. (edited)   Before you post you might want to do some more reading through the FAQs or rabbit.org I know you have experience with showing animals however this forum is for HOUSE rabbits…. and house rabbits have very different requirements than animals for breeding or show.

As for diet:
                                                                    *Unlimited hay
                                                                    *For adult bunnies limit pellets to 1/4-1/2 cup pellets
                                                                    *Green leafy veggies should make up the bulk of a rabbits veggies (2c.)
                                                                    Carrot tops are good… but the orange part of carrots are too sugary to give everyday.

• BinkyBunny

Posted By minilop22 on 10/19/2009 03:10 PM

not too many veggies… at least the green leafy stuff… tooo much can really throw a rabbit off. carrots are good. pellets and hay are best

if you get a pair they have (or in theory should be) siblings and have been together since birth. rabbits are solitary animals and like their space unless they already know how to share with a sibling they dont really take to stranger rabbits well.

comprable to a cat in my opinion.

Minilop – you’ll have to check out our diet page.  This is for spayed/neutered non breeding rabbits.  I know that breeders may use a higher caloric diet as breeding rabbits and pregnant does may need more energy.  We follow the HRS guidelines. 

Also you’ll find here that there are many members who have wonderful bonded pairs (non-siblings and did not grow up together)  Again, we are talking more about spayed/neutered bunnies that will have a better chance at bonding since their hormones won’t get in the way with either territorial aggression or mating instincts.   They will still go through a heirarchy ritual which can include posturing, mounting, and sometimes aggression, but for the most part that does get resolved within a months time. (average)  

Domestic rabbits are descendents of the European Rabbit  which are social/group animals, not like the American solitary cottontails, and many domestic rabbits enjoy a bond with another bunny. (Though they can bond with an attentive human too, so no one needs to feel guilty for only having one) There are some rabbits that just do not get along with other bunnies, but you will find here, that that is more of an exception.

Here is Jack  (7 years old) and his newest Gal Vivian (7 – 8 years old), They’ve been bonded for a few months. Before that he was bonded to Rucy for years before she passed away. 

Jack cleans Vivian’s eye sleepy for her.  

• minilop22
                                                                      Participant

please use polite criticism its in the rules!

i am sorry just offering what i know… house and show rabbits are different.. i am not wrong just wrong for the type of rabbit

• Jenna, Chubs & Comet
                                                                        Participant

I don’t think anyone was trying to be impolite or unwelcoming, it’s just that I think most of the people on here work really hard to disperse rumors about bunnies and what their care should consist of, etc. We don’t want to feed incorrect info to people, especially new to the site people like I think the original poster of this topic is. We welcome all bunny lovers! We just want to make sure we’re getting the right info out there, especially to newbies, who may not know any differently!

• minilop22
                                                                          Participant

no i just thought “totally incorrect” was the wrong way to handle it thats all

“If you can’t treat people like they are intelligent, then don’t post.”

be respectful and kind. if i am wrong tell me but nicely!

• Jenna, Chubs & Comet
                                                                            Participant

Knowing Rachel (as much as you can through a forum) I don’t think she meant it to be disrespectful

• KytKattin
                                                                              Participant
                                                                              1195 posts Send Private Message

I know this is kind of off topic, but I didn’t know that Cottontails were solitary! I’ve always seem them together, but then again they tend to be young so maybe they just haven’t made it on their own yet or they are doing what unaltered rabbits do best! Is there a page or someplace I could learn more about the differences between Cottontail and European rabbits?

• Beka27
                                                                                Participant

That’s a gorgeous pic of Jack and Viv! They look so happy together!

Welcome here minilop22. This site is an excellent resource for people learning how to care for house rabbits and it provides an outlet to share fun, everyday experiences with our favorite furballs. We follow HRS guidelines in regards to diet, housing and exercise recommendations, and we definitely spay and neuter our buns. If you have any questions about anything, please don’t hesitate to ask!

• minilop22
                                                                                  Participant

thanks!

Viewing 38 reply threads
                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Should I get a rabbit?