Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Shivers!! please help??

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • lisa
      Participant
      38 posts Send Private Message

My baby boy just turned 2 on Valentines Day.  He recently started acting different.  I should also add that my boyfriend moved in on the same day.  ANyway, he has been barking alot and attacking with his front paws.  But he is still getting the same attention if not more.  Well, just now i went to go an cuddle with him and he was laying flat and very lithargic.  When i picked him up he was having small episodes of shivers or tremours.  I put him in his cage were he layed right down, this too is unusual for him.  Then offered him his favorite treat, a bananna, and he declined.  He is also litter trained and suddenly he is pooping all over the house?  What could be happing??  I am so scared that he may be ill?!?!?!  He is fixed and we go for regular check ups at the doctor.  His last one was just last month and the vet said he was in PERFECT health, teeth and all. 

Please Help Us

Lisa and Bunny

• Hannah
        Participant
        274 posts Send Private Message

TAKE HIM TO THE VET IMMEDIATLY!

Now!

He sounds sick, and we’re not vets– we can offer help when there isn’t an emergency, but we can’t offer diagnoses and treatments. Don’t think you can wait something out with a bunny– he might really need help, and a doctor is what he needs.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

GET HIM TO A VET IMMEDIATELY

He sounds really sick-emergency clinic is warranted here! Keep us posted!!

Vibes for him

• Deleted User
            Participant
            22064 posts Send Private Message

Definitely get him to the vet now.

Sounds like floppy bunny syndrome.  Wrap him up in a towel so he can’t move.  My bunny had floppy bunny and this is recommended.

Let us know.  HUGS

Dawn xx

• lisa
              Participant

I just tried to get him and he barked an lunged at me. His ears are up, his eyes are bright and he is still drinking his water. I checked his litter box and there was urine and poop in there. So he is eating, drinking and going potty. Is it possible that he is just angry about the new addition to the home? I am still trying to find the cloesets 24 hour vet to take him to.. Thanks all

L and B

• Deleted User
                Participant
                22064 posts Send Private Message

Ok if he had floppy bunny syndrome he would not be moving at all … so something else is upsetting him.

Bunnies are funny about changes in their routine or if someone else comes into the house who is generally not there.  It could well be that because your boyfriend has moved in … bunny does not like it very much.  But he will get over it.

The shivers you mentioned are a concern so I would get him to a vet …. it appears there still maybe something else underlying.  Perhaps put him away in his cage and in the meantime ring around to see if a vet can see him as soon as they are able.

Dawn xx

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant
                  4293 posts Send Private Message

Lisa, congrats on your beau moving in!

But with regards to your bunny, definately get him to a vet.  It does sound like a couple of things are happening here.

1) He is not well.  The lethargy signals that.

2) He is aggressive which could be because he is in pain OR he could be getting territorial because his space has been invaded by another person.  How does your bunny react when your boyfriend offers a treat?  Has he moved new furniture in and have things been re-arranged?

• MimzMum
                    Participant
                    8029 posts Send Private Message

Um, I don’t pretend to know the dynamic here, but what concerns me is, this reminds me of cases I’ve heard about shaken baby syndrome. Not to cast aspersions, but, your bf is gentle with bunny, right? He hasn’t spent time alone with him? He knows how to pick bunny up and carry him/what to feed him, etc?
                      Just a thought. I too believe you should get your bun to a vet. Only a professional can diagnose what could be wrong, and it really could be only territorialism or it could be something worse. Better to be safe than sorry! (nods)

• Gravehearted
                      Participant
                      2428 posts Send Private Message

It may just be that he’s really freaked out about all the noise with the move – but it very well may be something more serious.
                        Were you able to get him into the vet yet?

• lisa
                        Participant

Scarlet-

He takes the treats from my man very well.  Also, I had picked him up and he was fine, not agressive or anything and that is when i felt the shakes in his tummy.  This morining he was moving around and his treats from last night are gone.  Will be calling his doctor when they open in a few hours

Thanks

• Scarlet_Rose
                          Participant
                          4293 posts Send Private Message

Hmm, lisa that’s awesome your beau and your bun get along great. : ) It sounds like he may have gas, do you feed him any veggies that may cause this problem? Glad you’re going to take him in, he might be just fine since you say he is eating, is his poop normal?

• RabbitPam
                            11002 posts Send Private Message

Hi, Lisa,
                              Were you able to see the vet yet?

Bunnies do a lot of things as an emotional reaction, but lethargy, refusing food and shaking sounds strictly physical. It’s possible (hopeful) that what bothered him at first has passed by now, but definitely go the “better safe than sorry” route.

• lisa
                              Participant

well- am i a nervous mom or what?? he was just trying to get into a territory contest with my manfriend. He is doing much better today. And after this i will reinstate is bunny health insurance.

Thanks All
                                L and B

• MimzMum
                                Participant
                                8029 posts Send Private Message

Hogeeze, wouldn’t that just be the height of irony to find out this was all gas? 0_o Why can’t bunnies do like babies do when they trump and just give a little smile? ^^
                                  Please forgive me, Lisa, if I sounded suspicious of your beau. It sounds like they have a fine relationship and I am sorry if I made it sound ominous. Again, my apologies. (nods)

Bunny insurance. Now this is something I’ve heard mentioned a few times. Can you seriously get insurance for a rabbit? Does it cost much? And where would one look for such a thing?

Please do let us know how things turn out at the vet. I have to take my little boy bun in tomorrow afternoon, as he seems to have a toothache. My vet is great, but she’s pricey and I could sure use help with that!

• lisa
                                  Participant

my.petinsurance.com 800-540-2016.  I pay $120.00 a year for bunny.  It only covers emergencies.  You pay 100% up front.  Send in the claim.  There is a $50.00 deductable.  After that they cover 90% of the bill less the deducatble. If you are going to get it i suggest calling and doing it over the phone.  There is alot of info that you get via phone that is not availble on the web site.  I even have an insurance card for him.  Just like we get for univera. lol

vet said he is fine, 

L and B

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                    Participant
                                    12067 posts Send Private Message

Hrm….That actually sounds good, since It only coveres emergencies, then of course you know you won’t be denied (hopefully)

Have you made a claim on it yet?

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Shivers!! please help??