Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE shedding question

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • angoralvr
      Participant
      500 posts Send Private Message

Is it normal for bunnies to shed in wierd patterns? Henri seems to be moulting (his baby coat maybe? He’s nine months old now) and it started at his head and is working it’s way back. I guess on a short haired bunny it wouldn’t look so wierd but his hair is atleast four inches long (it was anyway) and the undercoat that is left on the top of his back is really short. Basically he looks hilarious right now and I feel pretty bad for the boy. He has a fluffy butt and almost a bare back. His skin isn’t flaky or dry at all or anything so I don’t think I need to worry about it. I know I read that angoras need more protein during their moults so I have been feeding him extra alfalfa. Is there anything I can do to help him along with the shedding process? I think I might have Matt help me give him a hair cut tonight so that he doesn’t look quite so funny at least.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

For shedding/moulting you want to increase your hairball precautions (pineapple, papaya, papaya tablets, malt)…Watch their poops for ‘pearl necklaces” (you’ll know when you see one, looks like a string of ‘pearls’ hehe)…If you see any increase your pineapple/papaya etc…
          Brush more then you normally do to help remove hair before it gets swallowed..
          And I do believe they shed in weird patterns…Kahlua is losing her baby coat now and she has a pretend bald spot on her back (short hair, not bald) so I wouldn’t worry!

• Tracy
          Participant
          108 posts Send Private Message

…I wet my hands and start at their head and massage it down off their back…but i do it outside..gets to be alot of hair. They love it..it must feel good.Watch Dog only sheads down the middle of his back..lol

• Gravehearted
            Participant
            2428 posts Send Private Message

rabbits often shed it weird patterns and are sometimes even really shaggily during shedding or a heavy molt.
              sometimes i think indoor bunnies get confused about when to shed or grow their winter coats since we turn on heaters and air conditioner.
              i’d recommend keeping up with the brushing, offering lots of hay, and trying the papaya or pineapple.

• Deleted User
              Participant
              22064 posts Send Private Message

My first bun, was white with gray ears and tail that got lighter in the winter and darker in the summer. She also got a light gray streak down her back which vanished in winter.

Shadow has turned into a different bunny. He started out dark gray with darker face, ears, tail and legs with tan toes. He is now 6 months and is a silver grey with a dark mask. Only the ears and tail remained dark gray. At one point, he developed 2 light gray marks on his rump in the shape of question marks. They have now vanished.  Even though he is a short haired bun, he went through a period when he looked down right scruffy with all the varied patches.  I went crazy trying to brush tuffs out, but it was all optical illusions.

Basically from above he looks like he is wearing a silver suit with his head, feet and hands sticking out the sleeves. As for where all the hair is going to, who knows. I brush him and not a whole lot comes off him.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE shedding question