Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Shedding…

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • sevyn
      Participant
      68 posts Send Private Message

Here’s a problem I never foresaw…
        My bunny is a short-haired breed and I frequently make sure she is a reasonable temperature (she has her own fans set up around the cage, even), but I still find I’m having an issue with her shedding. Her fur gets EVERYWHERE! It’s wedged in my keyboard even as I type. 
        If this contributes to the problem at all, I haven’t been able to brush her since I got her since she is very edgy about brushes for some reason. Other than that, though, I see no reason why she should be having this problem. Any ideas or suggestions?
        Thanks as always, guys, you’re a great help

• wordmonkey
        Participant
        40 posts Send Private Message

I havent heard that rabbits shed due to the fact that they are hot. I dont believe it to be an attributing factor to shedding so the fan is just blowing the hair everywhere. Rabbits have 2 big molts a year regardless of hair length and 2 moderate sheds. The longer the hair the worse it is cause its everywhere. This is the time when grooming is the most important due to the fact that your rabbit will groom itself and can get massive hair balls. Since they can not vomit, the hair will be lodged and can cause GI Stasis.

What type of brush do you use?? Try to place them in a small area and wait for them to relax then go at it. And if that doesnt work bribery cause the GI Stasis is serious.

Heres a recommended brush. Doesnt work as well as the bristle ones but its gentler for their skin and they might enjoy it better.

• sevyn
          Participant

Ahhh, thanks a lot for the tips… I didn’t think it was all that serious but, now that I know it is, I’ll make sure I get a good brush (maybe something she’ll like a bit better) and make sure I keep on top of her grooming… as for that brush, do you know where I might find one? I live in Canada so it’s hard for me to find some of the supplies you guys use.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
            Participant
            2517 posts Send Private Message

My bun is always shedding and sometimes disapproves of the brush. What I do is do a full body pet and then when I’m near his bum, I close my fingers together to pull all the loose hair that I’ve collected off of him.

• wordmonkey
              Participant
              40 posts Send Private Message

I couldnt find it anywhere and had to online. Also, you could find a static mitt groomer. Your rabbit might like that since its basically petting.

• Scarlet_Rose
                Participant
                4293 posts Send Private Message

You can also try slightly dampening your hands with water, then petting and rolling the fur up by rubbing your hands together afterwards and tossing it. I found that damp hands capture more fur.

• poopy
                  Participant
                  684 posts Send Private Message

Since you have fans going, thats blowing the hair all over. Get an air filter, that will catch all the hair in the prefilter.

• sevyn
                    Participant

I didn’t even think of getting a filter, poopy, though thanks for the excellent suggestion I’ll be moving my environizer over from my old place soon, and I’ll set it up near her cage. Hopefully that’ll help at leat somewhat.
                      Anyways, she is still truly brush skiddish, but she loves a good petting so I’m going to see if I can find a mitt brush.
                      Thanks as always for the tips, guys!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Shedding…