Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Sexing..when does it become obvious?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • mattman0182
      Participant
      57 posts Send Private Message

I will probably make a vet appointment for next week if possible, but Im wondering at what age does the sex become easy to tell? Is it different for a dwarf?  When things fall into place are they easy to see? I have sexed dogd and cats, but never a bun bun.

• osprey
        Participant
        2065 posts Send Private Message

Bunnies can be very difficult to sex, particularly young ones.  A male’s testicles will usually drop by the age of 6 months or so, but some males are cryptorchids and the testicles never come out of the abdomen.  Bunnies also tend to be fuzzy down there too, making it harder.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

yeah, i don’t think it ever gets “easy”. that’s why there are so many mistakes made. one of our members had an oops litter and she sexed the babies (i think you can try at about 6-7 weeks) and i think she got 4 out of 5 right. she took them to the vet right after tho to make sure.

• Gravehearted
            Participant
            2428 posts Send Private Message

it can be very hard to sex bunnies, especially dwarfs.  I’ve even heard stories of vets starting to do a spay and discovering it should be a neuter – so even the experts can be fooled sometimes.

how to sex a bunny with pics

• mattman0182
              Participant
              57 posts Send Private Message

Thanks a lot for the link. I am almost certain he is a boy. He has a little pointy thing by his butt. I dont imagine a female would have that. Maybe the vet will know for sure though.

• kimberleyanddarren
                Participant
                2520 posts Send Private Message

yes i think it is hard, i know hopscotch is a boy but i have no idea if his testicles have droped, ive had a look and i just dont even know what to look at lol but the link above should help you, good luck and remeber the bunny burrito will help you look!

• ScooterandAnnette
                  Participant
                  1090 posts Send Private Message

A male rabbit’s testicles can drop as early as 14 weeks. Once this happens the bunny can be neutered.

It’s also pretty obvious. We were once in a pet store where they had an older bunny they thought was a female. When we turned the bunny over to put “her” in a trance, it was pretty obvious that it was a male…

• kimberleyanddarren
                    Participant

oh then his probably havent dropped yet because there is nothing their visual that i can make out anyway so as he is only 3 months i would presume they havent yet.

• MarkBun
                      Participant
                      2842 posts Send Private Message

Yeah, for me it isn’t until something is dangling that I can tell the difference. That’s why I get my buns at shelters, they do all that work for me.

• Beka27
                        Participant
                          Posted By ScooterandAnnette on 03/26/2008 12:37 PM
                          A male rabbit’s testicles can drop as early as 14 weeks. Once this happens the bunny can be neutered.

It’s also pretty obvious. We were once in a pet store where they had an older bunny they thought was a female. When we turned the bunny over to put “her” in a trance, it was pretty obvious that it was a male…

your post scared me.  whay kind of pet shop was this that there was a bunny that they thought was female but was so blatantly male?  that’s how these poor rabbits end up pregnant.  if the females were old too, every single one would have turned up pregnant.

sheesh.

• kimberleyanddarren
                          Participant

yes its true beka i think most of us have had unwanted babies at some point lol ive had 2 ‘male’ gerbils which have had babies when i was little aswell as hamsters lol they should really check with a proper vet because that was two.. litters if thats the right word?.. that we didnt want and didnt even know could be possible.

• Beka27
                            Participant

i had a male guinea pig when i was younger and i got a female at a petstore.  they were both in separate cages.  well, one day i go and look in the cage and there are babies!  my parents thought i had put them together, but nope… she was already pregnant.  we figured out the gestation and it was impossible for my boy to have done it in that short of time…  crazy…

• ScooterandAnnette
                              Participant
                              1090 posts Send Private Message

Beka, we weren’t happy with that pet store either. We thought long and hard about taking that bunny home.  Effectively a rescue.  He had been “marked down” to a “bargain price” of $9.99 because he was getting older, about six months or so, and no longer as desirable as the cute little baby bunnies normally sold. After a lot of discussion, we reluctantly concluded that we really didn’t have the room for a fifth bunny. We also worried about bonding–our Bailey is very much an alpha male and is certain to fight with another male, even after the other one is fixed.

• BinkyBunny
                                8776 posts Send Private Message

Well, actually when sexing bunnies, both the male and female parts sort of pop out, but a boy’s part is more tubularish/round, while the girl part that pops out is more pointy and triangularish. I know…that probably wasn’t much help. But when you said “pointy” I thought well….that could actuallly be either to the untrained eye.

• welshs
                                  Participant
                                  6 posts Send Private Message

it should be very very obvious by 4-6 months. testicles will be patches of skin to either side of the genital area.  this website has EXCELLENT photos of exactly how to tell what you are looking at http://www.geocities.com/dutchrabbitinfo/sexing.html

• BinkyBunny
                                    8776 posts Send Private Message

Note though that some males can pull the testicles back making it harder to spot if you are doing a quick look

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Sexing..when does it become obvious?