Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Sex considerations when bonding

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • angelicvampyre
      Participant
      754 posts Send Private Message

I have been researching bonding as i will be starting this in a few months with my guys and i am wondering what if everyone opinion on the sex of sets?

Eg 2 rabbits – recommend 1 male 1 female
        3 rabbits – recommend ?
        4 rabbits – recommend ?
        5 rabbits – recommend ?
        6 rabbits – recommend ?

Assume they are all desexed, also I know that it does depend on the rabbit but just say you had to go buy X amount of rabbits which sex would you choose?

• Moonlight_Wolf
        Participant
        1155 posts Send Private Message

According to my vet females are very hard to bond with other females because they are very territorial. I I have not experienced this because Fern is not territorial, but I think for three rabbits you could get two males and one female. Im not too sure about four or five or six rabbits because I think it would be kinda weird to get one female and three males and so on. I think MAYBE with four you could get two males and two females and bond a male and a female and then bond all four. But then again I am no expert, I only have two, one male and one female!

• angelicvampyre
          Participant

I have also heard this about females. From what I have read I would go with even sex numbers but then I read about someone bonding 4 males and was just wondering. I think one day i will add to my lot need to get these two bonded first before even i think about it (but then again i said the same with Bugz and next thing i know I have Anya!)

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

There is really no way to know. One male/one female or two males can be territorial and difficult to bond too, so there isn’t going to be any cut and dried rule of thumb. It really will depend on the rabbits involved.

It’s best to not go out and get 3 or 4 baby bunnies b/c there is just no telling what their personalities will be post-altering. Start with the two you have, bond them. Give it time for that bond to cement (AT LEAST 6 months, I’d suggest you wait one full year). After that time, take the pair bunny dating to a rescue with altered rabbits and allow them to pick which one would be a good match, might be male, might be female…

The people on this site who have successfully bonded a trio of rabbits, it has taken them months from start to finish. You need to bond each rabbit to the new bunny individually, and then try to get them to accept being all together. It’s very labor intensive. I personally would love to have a trio, but when in the presence of a third bunny, my bonded pair will fight EACH OTHER viciously. They don’t want a new guy/gal around.

• angelicvampyre
              Participant

Beka – no plans on adding more rabbits any time soon! Just was wondering what the general rule of thumb was

• MooBunnay
                Participant
                3087 posts Send Private Message

I think that there isn’t really a rule of thumb on the gender. I think that the basic rule of thumb is to let your bunny’s decide, by taking them on dates with other bunnies to see how they react, and it is really more personality based than it is gender based. A lot of rescues will allow you to do bunny dates, so that you can see how your bunnies do with different personalities.

• mrmac
                  Participant
                  2156 posts Send Private Message

In my trio, I have two males and one female. My female is very dominant and can be possessive sometimes. When deciding on a third bunny we knew it had to be another submissive male. It really depends on each rabbits personality and their role among others is.

• Jenna, Chubs & Comet
                    Participant
                    617 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Moo, we took Chubs on all female dates at first because we read it was easier with male/female but Chubs actually gets along better with males as a general rule. His two best dates were with males and his best best date was with our new male rabbit Comet. I’m not sure why?

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Sex considerations when bonding