Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR settling a new rabbit that keeps thumping

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • nathan
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

So I got my bunny yesterday. She’s overall friendly by the seems of it but nervous. When I went to the pet shop I had a member of staff try to get her for me to hold, but she moved very quick and the rabbit sprinted round and squealed when she grabbed her and she put her back. I went back later when my friend who works there was in and he claimed shed never freaked out before. he went to get her and she did the same squealing but he kept hold and petted her and she calmed down. I’ve got her at home and as soon as I put her in the cage she started thumping if I went anywhere near. because of this I had to move her, so I had to unfortunately grab her out sprinting and squealing and she calmed down after being petted. I let her sit with my.on my bed for about and hour. at first she wouldn’t move at all. then after a whole she started playing running round the bed? jumping on me and sniffing at my face and jumping off and she was fine. put her back in the cage- won’t let.me.near her and thumps. sheshe has started eating and drinking a lot now and playing with her chew stick. this morning she’s let.me open the cage, n replace food and a bit more saw dust without thumping but she ran to the corner and lay down nervously. she came up to my hand a few times whilst playing when I kept still sniffed and then went about her business so I tried to pet her. she let me, but was extremely still. then after a minute she hopped away. I tried again and she thumped so I left her, she hid under her straw and she’s now eating again. Will she warm to me eventually and allow me to handle her? I really want to be able to play with her but I’ve had people say they’ve had rabbits and they always thumped and wouldn’t be handled, but I’ve had 2 friends say she should stop. Will it work out? and what can i do in the meantime to settle her. I’d like to be able to bond with and have some play with my bunny not just stare at her in a cage her whole life and struggle to get her out to clean the cage

• Tgbarber
        Participant
        85 posts Send Private Message

She probably was grabbed at the pet store and it frightened her. Is she old enough for Greens or treats? You could give her a piece of greens when you go up to cage so she begins to equate you with good stuff. With patience and work she’ll calm down. And since she’s brand new to her environment, she’s bound to be nervous. I don’t think i even took my bun out of his cage the first day home.

I think she’s going to be fine. She just need time to get to know you so she can trust you

• sarahthegemini
          Participant
          5584 posts Send Private Message

You need to slow down. You’ve only had her a day – it takes a while for a bunny (or any animal really) to settle in. I would leave her be for now, only reach into the cage to change water and food (put them near the entrance to make it easier) and let her really settle into her new environment. She’s probably terrified at the moment because she’s been grabbed by pet shop workers, bought home and picked up again. She doesn’t know you yet so she has no reason to trust you – it needs to be built. Not fussing over her will help her relax and she’ll start to associate you with food which positivity.

Do you have a play pen? If so you could connect it to her crate so she has room to roam without overwhelming her and get her used to feeling safe coming out of her cage.

I also noticed you mentioned saw dust – you shouldn’t use saw dust for bunnies.

• Tgbarber
            Participant

Oh and by the way, i started off using shavings in the cage and soon quit. Left cage floor bare and provided litter box with yesterday’s news. Keeps cage cleaner

• vanessa
              Participant
              2212 posts Send Private Message

The poor little dear! She is thumping/squealing/sprinting coz she is aggravated, stressed, and scared.I would not pick her up just yet. Let her get used to her new surroundings. Put her in a safe bunny proofed area, don’t try to hold her or pet her. Just sit near her and offer her yummy veggies. Bribe her. If you try to pick her up and pet her – she will feel threatened and terrified. Once she is used to your presence, and associates you with good things like food and yummy veggies, she will start to approach you. That is when you can pet her wile she is nibbling on a veggie. No rabbit likes to be picked up or cuddled. Keep her off your bed for the moment. Just let her calm down and get used to her new living space, and your presence. Rabbits aren’t sociable with us like dogs are. She will need time to trust you. You need to earn her trust and affection. Go slow. It might take a while – months maybe. Sometimes only a few weeks.
                Once your bunny is bonded with you, you will be able to have more interaction. They still don’t like to be picked up – even after bonded. But you will be able to enjoy her running up to you for petting, begging for food, and she will be much calmer around you. Once she is comfortable with you, she’ll start ot act like a normal happy binkying bunny, which is a joy to watch.
                Please keep writing and let us know how it is going!

• Vienna Blue in France
                Participant
                5317 posts Send Private Message

Yes she WILL get used to you – but don’t do anything now that will spoil the natural progression (ex don’t frighten her or try to pick her up….).

Just sit with her. Get her trust by not doing anything that she doesn’t like. Make her know that she is now safe with you and in her forever home.

I’ve just brought home two cats i adopted and they spent the first 24 hrs in a cage in my living room. Just getting to know the noises the smells, not being to hide anywhere. They were very timid in the cage, sort of hiding, ears back not sure. My bunnies got used to them too without sprinting and making sudden moves, and when I let them out (I did stroke them gently in those 24hrs), they didn’t hide, they just explored, confident in their surroundings having spent 24hrs acclimatising. Your bunny will need more time than this.

Please be patient and keep writing in telling us her daily progress.

• nathan
                  Participant

Hey, thankyou for your advise ive left the cage open and shes in the bedroom so less people around and its quieter and smaller so not as overwhelming. shes not come out for a wonder yet but its open and shes in a bunny proofed room so she can wonder out when she wishes. i tried to give her a treat but she wouldnt take it frkm me so i put it in her bowel. i gave her a piece of carrot (i know not to do that too often). Shes roamning her cage eating snd everythimg now so shes settling. So just talk to hear near thr cage and give her treats in her bowel? i didnt know if shed bond that was as im not actually interacting just talking to her and putting things in her bowel so i didnt know if shed sorta register that id given it too her.

• Tgbarber
                    Participant

Oh yes she’ll begin to equate you with good things and that you won’t snatch her up every time you come around. I had to keep reminding my grown children to let the bun come to them

• nathan
                      Participant

how will i know when its okay to pick her up and bring her out? She came to me a little big ago about an hour, i oprned her cage and lay down on her level and she came upto my hand a few times licking me and let me pet her, but and went away playimg and repeated, but if i went to pet her she went still so i moved my hand away so as not to scare her. she wont come out on her own shes had her cage open all day incase she wanted a wonder but hasnt. just worried about cleaning her cage cos i cant get her out yet.

• Tgbarber
                        Participant

With my bun, i went quite a while without picking him up. My goal was to get him to hop up on my lap. I had to sit with him for a few weeks before he trusted me. Even then and now he hates being picked up. He has been with me now 7 months and he still trembles when i pick him up. And i often have to grab him when i have to pick him up to go to vet etc. But if he’s in his upper level of cage i can reach in and pick him up without any trauma to either of us. I kiss and snuggle him and put him down really quickly. I never hold him for long.
                          I had an ex pen attached to his cage so he could go in and out. It seems buns like things on their terms primarily. I would clean his cage when he was out.
                          Just be patient. It will pat pay off !!

• vanessa
                          Participant
                          2212 posts Send Private Message

Now you’ve got it 🙂 That is exactly how you want to begin bonding with her. When you just sit with her and ofer her food, even if it takes her months to approach you, by you NOT approaching her first, you let her choose the terms. When you approach her first – she feels threatened. When you allow her to choose when to approach you, she learns not to be afraid of you, learns that you are not trying to eat her (seriousely – they are prey animals), learns you are not trying to capture her, or hurt her. It is WAY more helpful for her if you just sit with her, offer her treats, and not try to approach her first. That’s why I say it’s not like getting to know a new puppy. But it is also that much rewarding – because she made a desicion to trust you. Dogs don’t do that. It’s instinctual. I only pick up my rabbits when I’m taking them to the vet. I do have a disabled bunny who I have to pick up to put him next to his food and to bath him, but that’s an exception. You are on the right track. I look forward to reading how it is going!

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR settling a new rabbit that keeps thumping