Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums THE LOUNGE September Chat

This topic contains 219sd replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  LBJ10 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 220 total)
  • Author

MissGabbster
    Participant

Just realized that it’s September 1st! Where the heck is this year going!?

So Fluffy Bunny
    Participant

I don’t know Miss Gabbster. I do know that this month is going to be hectic since I have several birthdays within the family that needs to be done. Plus planning the surprise for my Other half for his birthday this month.

aBeautifulHope
    Participant

I was wondering the same thing last night! It seems like just yesterday was January…yet when every time I look at my phone it says September 1st! In 2 more months I graduate and get to start job hunting ?. And midterm are in two weeks…yep, time to start panicking ?

Bam

I hope September will be a lovely month full of wild mushrooms and apples.

The Law Bun
    Participant

Happy September everyone!! Time sure is flying by! I had some WONDERFUL news this week, I PASSED the bar exam. I have been so stressed the past four weeks waiting on the results, but I actually did really well. Now theres no real obstacle between me and the real world.

Hazel- I saw from the previous month but I really really hope Oscar is doing well and getting back to normal. Glad to see he is making some improvements!

ABeautifulhope- job hunting is the fun part! Possibilities can be so endless . And don’t stress too much over midterms haha, two weeks is plenty of time.

aBeautifulHope
    Participant

The Law Bun- Congratulations!!! You must have a load off of your shoulders now Job hunting will be fun, it’s after I GET the job and have to adjust to working at least one 48 a week with very, very little sleep while on shift that I’m not looking forward to ?

The Law Bun
    Participant

Aren’t you doing EMS stuff? You do a 48, but then you get like 72 off . Think of all of the activities. Video games galore with a side of netflix.

tori rose
    Participant

I thought I’d hop on the new month chat if that’s okay! I still thought it was august until I saw this- I second the year flying by. I won’t lie, I started decorating for Halloween last week though. I love fall D:

Congratulations the law bun! I’d probably lose all my hair from anxiety just waiting a whole month for results I’m sure lol

aBeautifulHope
    Participant

The Law Bun, I do get a 72 off, but for me that means I get to nanny and work horses and dogs for those 72 hours! I’m not complaining about the working of horses and dogs, but as much as I love my little brother he is QUITE the handful ? (my mom homeschools my siblings, and I’m the only one that is out of school and works a job that isn’t a 9-5 and can help keep the two year old occupied while she helps the 14 year old and six year old with school) Last week I took him out for a special ‘LaLo and Will time’ (normally I have him and my 6 year old little sister, and sometimes the 14 year old if she’s done with school for the day) and we ran around our VERY hilly downtown area for 2 hours looking for ‘Opi Prime’ and ‘Bumblebee’…and then we went to the park for an hour, and beforehand we were at the pet store looking at turtles and bearded dragons for an hour and a half. I have never been so happy to get that kid down for a nap in my life ??? During lunch he had quite the meltdown because he decided they were taking too long to cook his pizza ?

tori rose, Fall is wonderful! Although it hit 100 today and I’m just not feeling the whole ‘fall’ vibe yet…I can’t wait till I can work horses in the daylight without risking heatstroke to either me or the horse (I don’t think I’ve worked my horses for more than 20 minutes at a time all summer thanks to the heat!) because working under the night sky is getting AWFUL old real quick ?

The Law Bun
    Participant

LaLo and Will? Is that a child’s tv show lol? I have no young people around me anymore so I’m pretty out of touch. But that said, riding horses is pretty badass!

tori rose
    Participant

I don’t think I’d feel very festive with that weather either. I was at a friend’s next door neighbors horse barn for a couple of summers for a little horse entry type of riding and caretaking lessons with my small kids and we all loved it but any humid and hot days felt more like torture for everyone.

Labor day weekend will be kid free thanks to my dad wanting to take them camping, there was a wedding to go to but I’m going to pass on it since I don’t really know them at all. My husband is going to play video games the entire time I’m sure lol, not sure what I’ll get done yet but I really hope I make time to craft and don’t fall into a lazy netflix coma with honey lemon and my pups:p maybe I’ll start on my halloween costume so it’s not last second this year.

aBeautifulHope
    Participant

Law Bun, ???. No ‘LaLo’ is what Will (my brother) calls me ? (my name is Lauren but most of my family calls me Lo). And I definitely agree that riding IS pretty badass ??. Especially when you’re soaring through the air over your rescue mare’s ears.

Tori Rose, humid and hot days are torture. My round pen is in full sun, I live in Northern Cali so it doesn’t get humid but if you’re in the sun it can easily get 115+ ?. I have darker colored horses so I have to be SUPER careful they don’t overheat. And lazy Netflix comas are the best, as is having a few days kidless!!!

LBJ10

Wow, I feel like I missed so much! We were in Colorado for a few days and now it’s September! =O

OMG, we did so much hiking in RMNP and we drove almost the entire length of Trail Ridge Rd to see some moose……. and we didn’t see any. =\ I really need to get a hiking pole one of these days. It would help me on the trails since I get tremors in my legs sometimes. We made it up to several locations though, including Gem Lake which is on park property but you have to enter the trail through private property. Anyway, it’s good to be home. It looks like I have a lot of catching up to do.

Law Bun – Congrats!

And ABR – Wow, I can’t imagine working hours like that.

The Law Bun
    Participant

Yea, sadly I never see myself ever riding horses. My best friend has 2, but for men atleast, seems REALLy painful lol . either way best of luck job hunting and being about to go #netflixcomalife

Edit: Also 48 hours at a time with little sleep also seems terrible haha. 

MoxieMeadows
    Participant

*Hiss* *Hiss* IT’S FALL AND FALL MEANS WINTER AND THAT MEANS SO MUCH SNOW AND BEING SO COLD!! *Hiss* *Hiss*

I am not ready for fall. I feel like we have had no summer! Although fall means birthdays, parties and holidays (thanksgiving woop woop) it also means that winter is creeping forward. Soon we are going to be burried under 5 feet of snow and be in the negative degrees. It means tending to wood stoves all night, stacking wood and chopping and splitting wood. I can already feel the fall “nip” in the morning and evening air, and see the tinge of color on the leaves.

Now I do actually like fall, and sometimes winter, but we’ve had a pretty mild summer this year so I don’t feel like it should be fall yet, so I’m just not ready. I still want to be able to hike with my dogs and stuff ya know? And poor snickers, she HATES the snow lol!

Okay I’m gonna stop complaining now. Because fall really is beautiful!

rayray
    Participant

I think everyone is in shock it’s already September. My evil bestie keeps sending me this Christmas Countdown. lol! I’m actually one of those weird people that dislikes summer. But that’s probably because of where I live. Our weather in Manitoba is extreme to say the least. +40 in the summer, -40 in the winter. That and I don’t handle heat well is a bad combination. I prefer winter. It’s an excuse to be lazy and I find it easy to warm up than to cool down.
    Bring on the yoga pants, sweatshirts, Netflix and hot choco (with bailey’s of course)!! lol!

aBeautifulHope
    Participant

LBJ10, That sounds like a fun vacation! I have a love/hate relationship with hiking…Hate it while it’s happening, love it once I’m back home. ?…but that could be because I always overestimate how much hiking my body can handle and pick these insane 16 mile hikes straight up the mountain side (like we free climb a bit of it) and only give us like 3 hours to get it done in!
    Oh yeah, I’m not looking forward to those hours all that much…but I have really bad insomnia and can stay up 36 hours without much of a hitch, and if you add in a Monster or Red Bull I’ve been known to keep going for 3/4 days no problem, I just lose my filter a bit (which, tbh, is really hysterical…my poor partner. lol).

Law Bun, I used to give lessons to a couple of autistic boys and when they wouldn’t listen or behave they quickly found out that I would hide the saddle and they would be forced to ride the horses bareback ? It only took once or twice of me doing that before they’d behave themselves ???

MoxieMeadows, I used to live somewhere where we MIGHT POSSIBLY get like 2 feet of snow and I thought the sky was falling every time that would happen…BUT FIVE FEET!?! AND NEGATIVE DEGREES??? I’ve never even experienced single digit weather and I am QUITE happy about that…your winters sound horrendous ? Out here winter just means either a) really nice, beautiful weather or b) rain coming out your wazoo. I really hope this year is the latter because we NEED the rain. Basically all of my friends are in the fire service and I have one (his wife is pregnant with their first as well) who’s been out on a strike team for two months without coming home…I have a lot of other friends in the same predicament thanks to all of the fires right now because of this dang drought.

rayray, I know I’m in shock that it’s already September! And those temps ? We get to 115*F (so a little over 46*C) during parts of the year, but never below like 20*F (-6*C) during the winter (and that’s a kind of day where everyone is home in front of their wood stoves barely moving. lol)…those winters sound just insane ??? I grew up in the Charleston, SC area so I can handle heat…but cold? Not so much ?

Hazel
    Participant

LB: Thanks, he’s all better now. Thanks everyone, for the vibes. Our cat Lily could tell he was sick. I was hoping it would make her want to be nice to him and make him feel better, but the opposite was the case. It seems like when she senses weakness in one of our other pets, it makes her want to start something with them. She knows she’s not supposed to chase him and usually she’s pretty good about it, but that day she wouldn’t stop messing with him.

abeautifulhope: Since you’re experienced with horses, I want to ask for some advice. The hubby and I went on a trail ride a couple of weeks ago, it was our first time riding horses. It was for beginners, walking in single file the whole time. And while I enjoyed it a ton, after a while I got a little bored. So I did some trotting when I managed to get some room in front of me (we weren’t supposed to do that) and that was a blast. There’s a stable offering beach rides, it seems to be a bit more “advanced”, not riding in single file, there will probably be trotting and such I imagine. I would love to try that. Do you think it’s a bad idea, considering we never took lessons? I feel like we could do it, but maybe I’m getting ahead of myself.

Bam

Hazel, I’m so glad Oscar is better now

aBeautifulHope
    Participant

Hazel, walking single file does get super boring. And I would call the beach place and see what they’re expecting you to be able to do…most of those more ‘advanced’ beach rides (I say that loosely because the horses know the pattern/what to do and it’s rare to find a trail ride that is actually hard…I can take beginners on my inexperienced youngsters and take them for trail rides as well without any terrible mishaps ) have cantering/running along the beach and those horses, since it IS a pattern they do over and over and over again every day are USED to doing that and will start to jig and try to go when they reach the spot they normally run. So I would just suggest calling and seeing what the ride is made up of/what they would recommend I imagine you and your husband could probably do it, but it’s better to check and make sure it’s actually going to be fun and not something that, if it’s a BIG stretch out of your comfort zones, will make y’all hate riding and make it super unpleasant/scary Riding, I’ve found, comes fairly easily to most people…especially if they remember to just relax and sit BACK

Hazel
    Participant

Thanks bam.

Thanks for the advice, abh. I’ll definitely ask them about it. We’ll probably wait a month or two, right now it’s way too hot and humid. The trail ride we did was mostly through the woods, so it wasn’t too bad. You’re so right about having to relax, I know I didn’t and ended up bouncing like crazy during the trot, you can imagine how sore I was the next day… But I still loved it, and I didn’t feel like I would fall off. The horse in front of me was walking very slowly, so I had a hard time trying to get some room to trot. I was worried they would get mad at me for going too fast, but they didn’t notice.

If you have anymore pointers for us I’d love to hear them.  Most of my horse knowledge I picked up watching old Westerns, haha. Now I keep calling the hubby over saying something like “See how he’s holding the reigns/moving in the saddle?” 

MoxieMeadows
    Participant

ABH— I know, I’ve really been thinking of California lately because of the drought and the dangers of fires. It must be really scary over there if you live where the dangers of fire are hard. Hopefully you all get a lot of rain soon! I live on the other side of the country where it gets quite cold! It’s funny because after the cold winter, once it hits like 40 degrees everybody is in t-shirts and saying how hot it is lol! The deep snow covering all the ground and trees is beautiful though. And going out and seeing animal tracks in it is really cool. Although I hate the cold I think our winters are kinda “magical”. Even though driving gets dangerous with all the ice on the road.

tori rose
    Participant

It seems where I live (even myself included sometimes honestly) the first sign of fall most are sweater and fall clothes crazy even if it’s still reaching 70’s, but after so long of winter if it’s even finally 40 degrees out it gets to where people are like ‘pfft, I can be fine a t-shirt to the store’ or wearing shorts just with a hoodie. Snow isn’t often SO bad, though sometimes snow drifts along the flat Land can get extreme and tower over one side of the house while the other side has a few spots with remnants of grass poking out lol.

aBeautifulHope
    Participant

Hazel, you’re welcome Learning to relax and not clench up into the fetal position takes a loooooong time! lol I’ve been riding since before I could walk and every now and again I STILL tense up and have to go ‘relax the neck, the shoulders, the arms, the palms, the fingers, the back, the pelvis, the legs, the ankles, and finally the toes’ in my head Repeating that mantra and really closing your eyes periodically and ‘feeling’ the horse’s movement and trying to relax into that movement is really helpful as well! And old westerns are the worst! lol. I can’t watch them because I just cringe at all of the riding mistakes. I was watching Bonanza a while ago with my cousin and was watching Little Joe ride with his hands by his ears KICKING the horse with both feet (to get a horse to go you use your pelvis and kind of ‘walk, trot, or canter’ with it if that makes sense? And if that doesn’t work you slowly tighten you bum, then your thighs, and then your calves, and if that doesn’t work I’ll use an open handed slap on the rump [not painful, just loud] or if that doesn’t work I’ll progress to swinging my reins and bopping them pretty hard on the bum…but that is a lazy horse that needs a rein bop!). I think I ruined Bonanza for her after that ? Oh! Another tip is HEELS DOWN. You want the stirrup on the BALL of your foot, and you want your heels DOWN (also, leave your legs out in front of your body…most instructors will yell at you for it but until you get the flexibility to tuck your pelvis under you AND keep your legs under you sitting in a ‘chair seat’ really, really keeps you stable on the horse). It settles your weight into your seatbones and it just kind of ‘anchors’ you into the saddle It also helps keep you from leaning forward and getting off balance (try to keep your shoulders over your pelvis or slightly behind rather than in front)…when I was a kid my trainer’s favorite sayings (and I would get them yelled at me UMPTEEN TIMES A LESSON ?) were ‘shoulders back’ (I’m really tall and tend to slouch), and ‘toes down kiss the ground’ because when your toes go down and your heels go up you start to perch in your seat and your shoulders move forward which destabilizes your center of gravity
    Ok, I hope any of that made sense! There is a reason I no longer give lessons, I can ride decently but I can’t tell someone else how to to save my life…I just confuse them more ?

Moxie, the fires aren’t too close to here, and they typically don’t happen in my county so I don’t get too worried…I just feel bad for all of my buddies working away from their families for MONTHS at a time during fire season! Especially Kyle because his wife is just starting to show and he hasn’t been able to see the baby bump and whatnot…and I know that’s hard for him (and her…she drove 4 hours to where he’s stationed just so she could hang out for an hour or two before she went back home)
    I really don’t like snow I lived in the mountains for a year…and horses + snow = unhappy Lauren. I had a horse almost break his pelvis in the snow, another one I would have to sit outside the ENTIRE length of snowstorms with to keep him calm (he grew up with me in Charleston and had never seen snow before…he’s also wayyyyy more attached to me than other horses because as a kid I used to sleep in his stall and spend every waking minute with him, so I was the only thing that would keep him from going through fences when the cold white stuff would fall from the sky), and horse poop, pee, and snow just do NOT mix well ?

tori rose, those snow drifts sound crazy ? Where I’m from if it’s 50* we’re all outside with 4 jackets on moaning and complaining about the cold and how we think our fingers and toes are gonna freeze off ? I’m no longer THAT bad, but 40* is a touch too cold for me to be out in shorts or a T-shirt

MoxieMeadows
    Participant

Abeautifulhope—- I never thought about picking up horse droppings in the winter lol! We have 4 dogs so I do get what you are saying about picking up after them, it being a pain and all!

I’m not sure anymore if I am going to bring Snickers for the 5k strut for strays. I’m not sure she’d have fun around all of those big dogs, and she doesn’t have good stamina lol! She’s only about 7 pounds. I’ll have to think about it. OH did I ever tell you all what Zero, Tilly and Paris weighed in at the vets?
    Zero- 45 lbs
    Tilly- 37.2 lbs
    Paris- 33.2 lbs

Paris and Tilly are only 5 months old but they are catching up to Zero ha ha!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 220 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.