Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Separating two bonded rabbits due to a cross country move

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • Goobin
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

I have two rabbits (male and female, both around 3-4 years old) who have been bonded for about six months. I am moving states this summer after my hs graduation and unfortunately my new apartment will only accept one pet. I have tried everything in my power to negotiate but there is nothing I’m able to do about it and this is the only place I can afford in the area. It was an incredibly difficult choice to make, but I had to pick and I will be taking my male with me because he has significantly less behavioral issues and will not cause damage to anything in the apartment. My female will be staying with my family in our current home, so I’m less worried about her because I know she will be happy and spoiled rotten in a place she’s familiar with. But I’m extremely concerned for my male as he will be traveling with me by a 3 hour flight. So not only will he be separated from his partner, but also will have to deal with the stress of flying. I overall need advice on how to handle this situation and what steps I should take to make my boy as comfortable as possible.

A little extra info on my male: I adopted him from a shelter a year ago where he had been separated from his previous partner who had had been bonded with him since birth, when I first got him I bonded him with my original rabbit who unfortunately passed from sudden gi stasis, so now I’m concerned about how he’s going to take loosing another partner.

tldr: I’m moving states after graduation and have to separate my two bonded rabbits and am worried about how the rabbit I’m taking with me will react to the separation and also the stress of a cross country flight.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

You should never separate bonded rabbits. They do not handle it the same way as when a partner passes. When they know their partner has died, they cope and move on. When their partner disappears, they will often look for them endlessly, become depressed, and stop eating. It would be much kinder to leave them together with your family. I know it will be difficult to not have them with you, but it would be best for them.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Separating two bonded rabbits due to a cross country move