Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Senior Buns Rule!!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • kralspace
      Participant
      2663 posts Send Private Message

Since my friend’s Lionhead, Simba, came to live with us, he’s been dying to play with the other rabbits and it’s not been reciprocated in the least. Poor little guy runs up to them all wiggles and giggles and they just want to beat him to a pulp. Trying to bond him with either the diva Pringles and Toby or Daisy and Lola was a disaster, they weren’t having it.

Pringles would entice him close enough to her condo so she could grab that long mane and jerk him against the bars and otherwise just sit in her condo so she could see him and growl all day.

Sooo…… it was back to the North texas rabbit society for a hot date with a lovely 5-6 year old girl who’d recently lost her mate. Hershey is just a gorgeous brown beauty I met a couple of months ago when I was up buying hay. Sarita was taking new photos of her and let me hold her for about an hour and she snuggled up under my chin and licked me. there was no escape (for me).

After spending a couple of months making sure that Simba was going to be permanent and that I could set 3 couples up and still have peace in the house I took Simba up to meet Hershey.

They took to each other very well after Simba said hello by running over and assuming a ‘manly position’ behind her and hanging on there for a few minutes while Hershey hopped nonchalently (sp) around the pen….lol. As soon as we got home, I set them up free roam in my bedroom and they were like a couple of old shoes, just very mellow like they’ve been together forever.

The second day Hershey had evidently thought things over and was a bit more agressive, even humping Simba a bit, which totally confused him. She would trap him in the carrier and lay across the door and you could see little Simba  back there peering out, like uh, excuse me, could I get by, no, never mind, I’m fine, I’ll just lay here until you’re ready to move, it was hilarious. They circle a little, chase, but it’s all in slow motion.

Here’s some pics of Simba (a 5 year old bachelor) and 6 year old Hershey, who’s got him well on the way to being hen pecked!

183244440871.jpg
        183244445554.jpg
        183244448658.jpg
        183244450229.jpg

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

how cute!!!

• bunnytowne
          Participant
          7537 posts Send Private Message

that is so cute. The golden one is gorgeous. Is That one Simba? Poor thing he has to wait on her majesty to pass by the door.

• kralspace
            Participant

Simba is the black lionhead, he’s the one I posted in another thread that someone paid $500 bucks for. Until he came to live with me a few months ago, he lived with cats and dogs, and really didn’t know what to do with other rabbits. Well, he did know ONE thing to do with them, but they weren’t amused.

• minnieservis
              Participant
              98 posts Send Private Message

aww they make an adorable couple!

• Deleted User
                Participant
                22064 posts Send Private Message

how cute my dogs name is Simba but he looks more like hershy.lol. Adorable.

• Sarita
                  Participant
                  18851 posts Send Private Message

They look so great together. I’m glad Simba and Hershey found a match :~)

I’ve never seen Hershey stretched out and looking so relaxed. I am so happy she finally got a wonderful home.

• kralspace
                    Participant

Hershey is the most mellow rabbit I’ve met so far. I have an old quilt laid out on their part of the room and she pretty much stays there. There is an exterior door right there and she’ll sleep so that it passes just inches away from her when someone comes in or out. I have to be careful now, because if she’s there, she doesn’t move a muscle, especially when she’s all stretched out like that. Just looks at you like, duh, don’t step on me.

She’s very friendly about coming up to me and will let me scratch her nose with one finger, but that’s it for now, but she does like to lay close to me when I’m in the room.

I know I probably don’t have that many years left to share with her, but she’s convinced me from now on, I’ll always look for seniors first when I have a home to offer. (Cristy wisely says I’m cut off at 6 now…lol)

• Beka27
                      Participant
                      16016 posts Send Private Message

i think i would definitely get an older pair… i’m cut-off at two right now… but you know… in the future… ;o)

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant
                        12067 posts Send Private Message

Hershey looks so happy in that last pic! Congrats on your new addition-AND seemless bonding!!

• kralspace
                          Participant

thanks KK, but I had nothing much to do with the bonding, I guess all my bunnies were pretty desperate for company….lol

• kralspace
                            Participant

aawww, I got grandma binkies today. Hershey met me at the bedroom door when I brought breakfast and did binkies all around me while I walked to their quilt. Then I finally got to give her a head pat.

I know you have many, many bunnies that pass through the rescue, Sarita, but do you know about how long she and her mate were there? She certainly acts like she had the run of a home before.

Kathy

• Sarita
                              Participant
                              18851 posts Send Private Message

Hi Kathy – I believe she came to the rescue when she was a baby so all her life. She originally came from a lady who worked with horses on a ranch – their mom was dumped out there on her.

I think she’s just so happy to have a real home finally :~) I’m so happy she’s doing well.

• TARM
                                Participant
                                1253 posts Send Private Message

Dang. I want to live close to some bunny peoples so I can get suckered into taking home senior buns. ::pout::

• kralspace
                                  Participant

After going through puberty with Pringles and Daisy (the others came to me a little older, but not old), my senior citizens are certainly alot of fun.

Little Simba doesn’t speak rabbit very well yet, so he doesn’t quite know what to do, but Hershey will come sit next to him and he’ll imitate her. She leans or snuggles against him and after his first reaction of ‘what the heck’ and his eyes getting big, he leans or snuggles back against her.

Last night I saw them head to head, she’d present and get no response. So she’d give him a lick or two and present again. Finally it sank into that fuzzy head and Simba was trying to groom, except he was kinda licking her like a dog, which along with cats is what he grew up with.

I love just sitting and watching them adjust to everything.

Kathy

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Senior Buns Rule!!