Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Scheduled Euthanasia Appointment

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Tanisaurus_rex
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hello, I’m new to this forum, although I’ve had my sweet Holland Lop bun Molly for 8 years now. Molly has struggled with medical issues since she was younger, but she’s always bounced back to her old self. She used to have occasional stasis and gas problems when she was a few years old, but has now been dealing with sore hocks for the last few years. Her eye has also begun to weep more and more over the last year. My husband I have been consistently trying to cure the sore hocks for probably a good 2 years now, we wrap Molly’s feet, we put baby socks on her, we’very tried putting in “donut” shaped bandages in the wrap to take pressure of her feet, etc. The feet seemed to get better for a period but would always get worse again and end up weeping or becoming an open wound. Through all of this, Molly has consistently been her old, sassy self. In the last month, things have gotten worse. Molly’s energy level has dropped, and we found out the wound is now bigger on her left foot. We visited the vet last week and tried one last time to see if we could heal it; the foot has not gotten better this week. Last night we met with the vet and she let us know there was really nothing else we can do for Molly’s foot and that we need to think about euthanasia. I certainly don’t want my girl to suffer, and I know this must be painful for her, despite the pain meds we’re giving her. The vet told us to give her one more great week and bring her back in for the procedure, so we’ve booked the visit for February 4th. I know this is a very long-winded message, but I just don’t know who else to talk to. I’m struggling a lot, I both know this is the right decision for Molly and also desperately don’t want her to go (which I know is selfish). I love her so much, she’s been with me and part of my family for so long, I don’t know what I’m going to do without her around. I’m wondering if anyone could offer advice or speak about their own experience with having to put their bunny to sleep? I’ve never gone through this with a pet before, especially not one I’ve been so attached to. Thanks.

• isiebuns
        Participant
        4 posts Send Private Message

i have never had to put a bunny to sleep, but i thought i had to put my bunny down after a cancer scare. I have had a bunny die unexpectedly though… it was traumatizing because i never saw it coming, and even though i had only had the deceased bunny for a week, i had become attached, but i had no other choice but to accept it. with my current rabbit, when she was about 4 years old, she had to go in for an emergency spay because something had ruptured in her uterus and i thought she was going to die. I left her in the vet during the surgery because they were keeping her overnight and i went home to mentally prepare for her hop over the rainbow bridge. that was the day i realized i couldn’t keep her forever, since that day i went online and started looking for ways to keep her with me forever, because if she survived the surgery i knew one day i would have to let her go. some may think its creepy but I decided that i want her cremated and i’m going to put some of her fur in a memorial locket. they make jewelry where they combine the ashes of your loved one with glass too, i think the company is called ashes to glass (it’s kinda pricey though)? And i cant remember the exact name of the online store that sells lockets with small chambers for fur or ashes for pets, but you can find it on google! It helps a little to know ahead of time that you have to say goodbye, especially when it’s the best option for the bunny.I think you are very strong, for recognizing your bunny’s pain and doing what is best for your bun <3 i'm sure you gave your little one the hoppiest life possible. i'm so sorry for your future loss, i'm sure your bun won't forget you after crossing the rainbow bridge.</p>

• tobyluv
          Participant
          3310 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry that you are going through this. I can tell how much you and your husband love Molly and how you have tried to give her the best care for all of her ailments. I have had several rabbits over the years and 6 had to be euthanized. It is never easy to say goodbye, even when you know that you are doing the right thing and you are ending their suffering.

At my current vet, there is a room that you can be in with your rabbit, to spend a little time with him or her before the procedure. Don’t feel like you have to hold back your tears. They know how sad it is for the people. Then you let them know when you are ready. Some people want to go back to the room where the rabbit will be euthanized, and maybe even to hold the rabbit, but for other people, it may be too sad and they say their final goodbyes and give their last kiss beforehand.

If you plan to bury her, you may want to take a box with you, and place a small blanket or towel or a piece of your clothing in it, to wrap around your bunny. The vet will probably have some boxes, but it’s good to have one with you too, in case you want one that’s a particular size.

Molly knows how much you love her and how well you have cared for her and that you want to help her be free of pain.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Scheduled Euthanasia Appointment