Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Scared of ceiling fan

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • DanaNM
      8901 posts Send Private Message

So, Myra is terrified of the ceiling fan in our new place. We turned it on accidentally when we first moved in and she spooked. We haven’t turned it on since, but today I thought I would turn it on low since she is more settled in now to see if there is any difference. There hasn’t really been a change, she is still spooked by it. When she saw it she ran and hide under my desk for a while, then moved to under the bed, where she’s been sleeping since. I completely understand why, as the arms of the fan are pretty dark and I’m sure it looks like a hawk or something to her. Bun Jovi is too blind/oblivious to even notice LOL.

I’ve left it on for a few hours (she’s been sleeping under the bed the whole time, so she isn’t actively terrified, don’t worry), because I wanted to see if she will get used to it. I also turned it up higher, because I thought maybe if the blades were moving to fast to really see as clearly, then it might not be as scary looking. She’s sleeping so I haven’t been able to see her reaction to that yet. Our place as really high ceilings and it gets hot upstairs but cold downstairs, so I’d like to be able to use the fan! Plus I know we’ll need it in the summer.

Has anyone had a bun that was scared of the fan but then got used to it? Part of me thinks that if it is a constant presence she will get used to it more easily than if it is sometimes off and sometimes on, because things that don’t change tend to be ignored by the brain eventually. Of course I also don’t want her just cowering scared all the time either.

Any thoughts?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• HipHopBunny
        Participant
        640 posts Send Private Message

The same thing happened with my buns! LOL

I’ve always liked to feel the air circulating, and now especially as it’s getting hotter, so my buns have been adjusting to the fan more and more. Overtime (not much, now that I think about it) they’ve stopped noticing it. 🙂

Hope Myra gets better with it soon!!

• LBJ10
          16870 posts Send Private Message

The only thing you can probably do is work on desensitizing her. Perhaps wait until she is out in the room and then turn it on briefly? I think if she keeps seeing it come on, she will eventually realize there is nothing to worry about.

• DanaNM

Glad to hear your buns got used to it HipHop! I really like having a fan on too. In CA we pretty much had a window open with the fan on year round, so I’m not used to having things all closed up!

The issue with turning it on when she is out of the room is that it is in the main big room that she’s in. I might see if she can be distracted with a treat while it’s on. Thankfully she has lots of places to hide in the room so she can venture out on her own when she’s ready.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Susanne
              Participant
              410 posts Send Private Message

I am in this exact situation! I moved into a townhouse last November and the buns are upstairs.  They have one bedroom and I have the other. It just reached 80 degrees and the upstairs is getting very hot! The first time I accidently turned on a ceiling fan when we first moved in Ruby totally freaked out. Like ran back and forth and thumped for like an hour after I turned it off.  Another time I flipped the wrong switch and same thing, even though I flipped it right off. It was only on for a few seconds!!

I have been too scared to try again but really need them on to keep them cooled off.  Dana you’re farther than me having them in the same room while on. Yesterday I thought I’ll turn it on in my room, and maybe if it’s already running they will still come in. They didn’t come to the room, though I’m not sure it was because of the fan. Anyway, I don’t want to terrify Ruby so I think I’ll keep trying that for now. I also did some other things to keep it cool like have the HVAC fan circulate air. It’s good to hear some buns got used to it, I think I need to put more effort into this and go for the one in their room.

• DanaNM

Keep us posted on how it goes with your buns! I’ll do the same. I haven’t turned it on today… but maybe tomorrow?

But also Myra is going to start molting soon, so don’t want to add too much extra stress on her. She gets very grumpy and pouts when she molts.

• Susanne
                  Participant

So far not much progress. Yesterday went like:

-Turned on the fan in their room on low towards the end of afternoon nap. Ruby was under futon. looked scared but not terrified, at least didn’t thump but wouldn’t come out.

-I turned it off so she would come out and eat at her normal time. She came right out.

-She went to other bedroom where fan was on, must have realized after she entered and fled to a box. Wouldn’t come out until I turned it off.

-Hung out in their room in the evening with it on for about an hour when they were under futon. At treat time she did come out and actually ate the treat while exposed in the room. She quickly ran back in a box.

-Repeat where she went into other room, realized it was on, and ran to a box.

I think I’m going to do the same today, turn them on once they take their nap to get them used to the noise without interrupting their active/ eating times of the day. Have it on during the treat again since that seemed to be the best distraction. I guess one positive is they take their nap during the hottest part of the day when we need it the most.

Elmer got used to it in 5 minutes and runs around normal with the fans on.

I understand not wanting to upset Myra when she is already grumpy!  They can get quite moody. It’s tough because in some ways they can be pretty sensitive, and my biggest concern is she doesn’t come out and eat so trying to desensitize when she wouldn’t eat anyway is the best I can think of.

• DanaNM

That sounds like a good strategy! Keep me posted!

• Susanne
                      Participant

Did you try turning yours on today?

I turned the one in their room on late this morning right before I gave them lunch. She actually came out and ate and ran around the room a little, but quickly retreated back to the futon. I went ahead and left it on all day until about 6 hours later to make sure she would come out and eat hay. Turned it back on after she ate, since she was back under the futon again anyway.

Just went back to check, and she is OUT! 🙂 She is laying with Elmer, and even though she has a little block from being directly under the fan/direct view, she isn’t under anything!  I think she’ll still be hesitant for a bit, but I’m feeling much better now.  It’s going to cool down here after today but planning to keep it on a lot to get her more used to it.

• DanaNM

That was some fast progress! Great to hear it!

I haven’t turned it on today, but maybe will try tomorrow!

Do you have it on a fast or slow speed? I was wondering if having it on faster might actually make it less scary, because the paddles would be more blurry.

• Susanne
                          Participant

I think it helps her to see Elmer isn’t scared. I turned it off for tonight and although I never saw her in the litter box while on, I’m happy with the progress.

I think you’re on to something with the speed. I saw you had mentioned that previously so today I did increase to full speed. Not sure if coincidental or not that she did better today.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Scared of ceiling fan