Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE salt licks

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • notjulesverne
      Participant
      207 posts Send Private Message

Sorry I didn’t see anything on FAQ or under the Diet section…..

I saw  someone mentioned “Bunnies shouldn’t have salt licks”. Why is that?

Piccolino has one, should I remove it?

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

Hello there

In my opinion I do not think bunnies need a salt lick … if they are getting a proper diet of pellets, hay and greens a salt lick is not necessary.

I would remove it.

Dawn xx

• Gravehearted
          Participant
          2428 posts Send Private Message

yes, I’d agree with Dawn. Based on the diet that house bunnies get, salt licks are no longer needed in their diets.

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
            Participant
            319 posts Send Private Message

Not all bunnies like salt/mineral licks. Some will just lick them out of boredom. Not only is it not necessary, it also makes them thirsty.
              I think it’s just those things that the manufactorers make to get you to open your wallet.

• Vinnie D.
              Participant
              55 posts Send Private Message

All living things do need at least some salt to regulate body functions, but there’s enough in normal pellets. An extra salt lick isn’t necessary unless you’re doing a pellet free diet of just hay and greens in which it couldn’t hurt to make one available.

• Lo
                Participant
                56 posts Send Private Message

great question. I was wondering why my guys have completly ignored their salt licks – guess they get enough from their pellets. I’ll be taking them away when I get home tonight

• bunnytowne
                  Participant
                  7537 posts Send Private Message

wow not julesverne your rabbit lionhead is gorgeous beautiful color.   salt licks I had them for my outdoor buns as a child. I tried one for my bun I have as adult now and he not interested either I threw it out b4 I found out they dont’ need them.,

• notjulesverne
                    Participant
                    207 posts Send Private Message

ahh thanks. He likes his salt lick, but doesn’t “abuse” it. He just went through 1/2 of it in the 5 months since I’ve had him, so I guess he wouldn’t miss it if I took it away

• kimberleyanddarren
                      Participant
                      2520 posts Send Private Message

i have a mineal lick in hopscotchs cage although he has hardly touched it and he has had it about 2 weeks… are these bad too?

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant
                        4293 posts Send Private Message

Mineral and salt licks are not an essential part of a rabbit diet. Both mostly just get licked out of boredom and make them drink more water and if they don’t have enough water they can get dehydrated. Plus I think that if they have too much salt, would it not increase their blood pressure like humans? Anyone know?

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE salt licks