Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Safe waterproof floor covering for carpet?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bu20055
      Participant
      246 posts Send Private Message

Hi guys! I’m planning on adopting a rabbit soon (recently applied to foster to adopt an older Rex bun). The room she will be living in (my bedroom) is fully carpeted, however I’d like something to cover it so it’s easy to clean.

Her space is irregularly shaped (almost like a T shape) so I’d need something that could be cut to size and shape. It can’t be longer than the space because there are walls on 3 of the sides. I’d want it to be safe to chew, just in case, because even though I would cover it with fleece, I would be able to tuck the edges under anything, like you would with a pen.

Does anyone have any ideas (that hopefully aren’t too expensive 🤞)?

Thanks guys!

• Louiethebunny
        Participant
        603 posts Send Private Message

Yay! That’s so awesome! Would love some photos if/when you bring her home! What I did for my bunnies’ xpen bottom, (we have hardwood floors) was basically sewing two pieces of thick canvas-y fabric together leaving an opening with velcro to shut it, and I then stuff a folded tarp inside. It’s been working great, the tarp it to protect from potential water spills or pee accidents from getting into the floor, however the fabric I used is so tightly woven, liquid actually sits on the fabric for a while before absorbing. It’s all easy to clean, I just pull the tarp out and toss it in the wash. Some people also like outdoor rugs because they are sturdier and can usually be either tossed in the wash or sprayed/wiped down easily. I have a small one covering an area they like to lay around in during free roam time.

• Bu20055
          Participant

@Louiethebunny

Yes I know! I’m so excited! We’re doing our interview and home check on Wednesday! I hope we pass lol. There will definitely be plenty of pictures!

I don’t know if the fabric thing would work for me because I think it might get flipped up without a pen to hold it down. I’m not sure if I can find an outdoor rug the right size. Hmm. My parents have some extra flooring from redoing my dad’s office, but I’m not sure if it’s waterproof. What’s the one kind of flooring called that a lot of people use for condos?

• DanaNM
            8930 posts Send Private Message

Popular methods are a piece of plywood with vinyl tiles or linoleum stuck to it, or just a big piece of scrap linoleum. You could cut it to fit your space exactly. I’ve also used those office floor protectors that are meant to go under a desk chair. They are pretty hard plastic so resist chewing, but might be harder to customize.

A lot of people also use choroplast (which is basically plastic cardboard). If your buns chew it might not be the best option, but if the edges weren’t accessible it could work.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bu20055
              Participant

@DanaNM

Okay thanks! Does the linoleum stay down okay on its own or do you have to weigh it down with something? I’m not sure if she’s a chewer yet so I don’t think I want to use chloroplast just in case she doesn’t do well with it. Where can you buy linoleum?

• DanaNM
                8930 posts Send Private Message

It is pretty heavy, so I think if the edges of the pen covered the edges of the lino you would be OK without weighing it down.

You can get it at hardware stores, they will cut the amount you need. Sometimes they have remnant pieces for cheaper than buying it off the big rolls.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Safe waterproof floor covering for carpet?