Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Sad situation…WWYD?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • princessbookworm
      Participant
      135 posts Send Private Message

This morning, I was on my morning walk. I usually go the same route and there’s a house I always walk past that I always thought had a covered grill. Today, the grill was uncovered…except it wasn’t a grill. It was a rabbit hutch.

There were three beautiful little white rabbits inside. White with red eyes. I’m really hoping they aren’t meat rabbits given their breed.

I couldn’t help but take a closer look at them and the “grill cover” I was so custom to passing. The cover is a thick, heavy tarp that looks similar to what people cover their pools with. I hope they can breathe okay when it’s on.

I know this isn’t a forum for outdoor rabbits. And I, myself, could never imagine Jake and Julie living outside. They’re the reason I keep the air at 65! But I tried to look closer without arousing suspicion (and I was on a public walk so I was not trespassing on anyone’s property or anything). The hutch appeared to have a small wooden “house” for three bunnies (very pitiful, cheap looking wood), a pellet feeder, and two bottles. One bottle was definitely empty but I couldn’t tell if the other was.

I’m a law student and I got my paralegal certificate a bit ago. I don’t know too much about animal law nor do I claim to be an expert in anything legal, lol. But I do know that the sad truth of the matter is…legally, animals are chattels (possessions). I had a horrifying torts problem wherein, in an act of revenge, a hypothetical person threw a hypothetical dog off a bridge. In a torts sense, it was a “trespass to chattels” and that meant a “forced sale” of the dog to the person who threw it and the craziest part…if the body was recovered, it BELONGED TO THE PERSON WHO THREW IT. I know it’s all hypothetical and of course, in a real world situation…animal cruelty laws would apply. But it was still sad.

Anyways, I knew there may not be much I could do. After all, they sell hutches like these for rabbits and teeny, tiny cages are the only type you’ll find in our pet stores branded for rabbits. But I’m preaching to the choir here.

Anyways. Between classes today, I picked up a pamphlet for the ALDF and went to their website (terrible, sad stories but at least someone is fighting for them) which lead me down a little “Google dive” into what legally constitutes animal neglect in PA. Unfortunately, the standards are quite low. Food, water, and shelter (a term to be construed quite liberally from what I gather). So I don’t know if I should report.

I think the fact that would best help the case for removing these buns is that I don’t think they can fully stand in their shelter. Also, I hate to say it…but I may have to wait until there is extreme weather to report for anyone to care. Legally, there is little recourse again people for providing an animal a very poor quality of life. And these little buns may have even less rights than a cat or dog and may be legally “livestock.”

What would you do in this situation? I want to make sure my report is taken seriously. But I also want those poor little babies to be okay. I think next time it rains, snows, gets too cold, or gets too hot, I’ll go on a little walk (public walkway, I’m doing nothing wrong. The hutch can be seen from the public walk) and see if they’re still out. Then I may file an anonymous report.

Good vibes for these little guys, please. At least they have each other.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

How sad

It is quite possible the owner doesn’t actually know the humane way to care for bunnies, so I think the first step would be to talk to them. Probably better to assume ignorance than assume they are for meat… ugh.

There was a case a bit ago where a members neighbor observed a similar situation and they were able to talk to the neighbor and improve the situation at least partially.

I think the first key points to hit are that unbonded bunnies will eventually fight, and that they should have grass hay 24/7. You can then discuss their space, and find out if they get to come out to exercise at all.

Who knows, maybe their friend had an unexpected litter so they are trying to help out, the situation might even be temporary.

Not saying this is easy, but chatting with them and learning more will help decide what to do next. You might want to have info on any rabbit rescues in your area handy.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• princessbookworm
          Participant

I’m hoping that next time I’m walking by, someone is out mowing the lawn so I can strike up a friendly conversation with them about their rabbits. That way, I can figure out a little bit more about their situation and maybe make some little suggestions that could improve their situation even just a little bit. 

However, I do not know these people. The community is quite large and there are many houses close together. 

I don’t want to cause trouble for anyone, but I also don’t want the bunnies to continue to live in these conditions. 

• Bam
            16877 posts Send Private Message

Like Dana says, sometimes talking to someone can help. Me and my SO were in a similar situation last spring, 3 buns in a hutch that was too small etc. The owners were quite sympathetic to being talked to, and the three buns then got appropriate food (I can get very good hay at a very low price from a horse person, so that’s lucky) and eventually a much bigger hutch. Like you I was at first considering the possibility that the buns were meat rabbits. It turned out they weren’t, if they had been it would of course have been much more difficult.

Where I live it would be considered the right thing to make an anonymous report, but we have laws about minimum space and furnishing of cages for rabbits. As you are saying, laws and regulations vary a lot across the world.

• princessbookworm
              Participant

I live in Pennsylvania, U.S.A. I put our statute down below that concerns neglect. Unfortunately, as I tried to further define element 3, wellness checks are not generally considered “necessary” in this state nor this country in general. It seems like, legally, “necessary” is only when an animal is sick. And as we all know, rabbits are very good at hiding illness. So even if these rabbits are ill, there isn’t a way I would be able to tell that like I would say…a tethered dog who only lays outside would appear sick. 

So I feel like if I were to make a report, the focus would need to be on elements (1) and (2). 

§ 5532. Neglect of animal

(a) Offense defined.–A person commits an offense if the person fails to provide any of the following for each animal to which the person has a duty of care, whether belonging to himself or otherwise:

(1) Necessary sustenance and potable water.

(2) Access to clean and sanitary shelter and protection from the weather. The shelter must be sufficient to permit the animal to retain body heat and keep the animal dry.

(3) Necessary veterinary care.

(b) Grading.–

(1) Except as set forth in paragraph (2), a violation of this section is a summary offense.

(2) If the violation causes bodily injury to the animal or places the animal at imminent risk of serious bodily injury, a violation of this section is a misdemeanor of the third degree.

• princessbookworm
                Participant

BIG UPDATE.

I don’t take Jake and Julie out in their stroller when it’s too hot but since it’s been cooler here, I’ve recently been taking them out. They love it and they’ll happily munch on hay while we take a slow stroll.

Since they’ve never bitten and they’ve visited my old classroom with no problems, if kids ask to pet them, I let them. Julie loves it and will even gently push with her snout for more pets.

A group of kids were happily petting Julie and talking to me about rabbits. I was telling them all about them. Then, the one little girl said, “My neighbors have rabbits. But they kill them. One was about to have babies then she had them and then they let their dog kill her.”

Im horrified. I think I will be reporting tonight.

I don’t wanna get anyone in trouble but this is wrong. I understand dogs can eat rabbit and it’s nutritious for them…but in a day and age of humane slaughter, there’s no reason in putting the dog and rabbit through that kind of stress.

• princessbookworm
                  Participant

I think I’m thinking too much about this. All my report would do would prompt an investigation. They would know how to handle it and are equipped for these situations.

Sorry for all the updates! I didn’t know who else to ask about this.

• BinkyBunny
                    8776 posts Send Private Message

I was a bit confused by your last post — not sure if you are saying you are rethinking reporting them or not?
                      The part where the dog is allowed to kill the rabbit is terrible. I strongly encourage you to report this. While yes, rabbits, being raised for meat, are considered livestock, and the laws surrounding their treatment are far from humane there may be some things that can be done. First, if they resell the rabbits or rabbit product, many states will require them to have license and follow some FDA regulations/guidelines. IF they are not following those, then they could have the rabbits taken away. Also, check with your local ACC and let them know what others told you.

I would ALSO let them know that a child told you this — somehow they are exposed to this cruelty for them to even just tell you that so easily. That brings in another element that the authorities may be interested in.

• princessbookworm
                      Participant

Oh no, I am not rethinking reporting. I am going to report tomorrow to my local humane society. I am just so nervous to report. I don’t want to get anyone in trouble but I know what’s happening is wrong and someone needs to speak up. I was just sort of…reassuring myself that reporting is the right thing to do. That the right agency will receive the information and be equipped to investigate and deal with it. I’m just a little jumpy about the whole thing. But it’s as if I were meant to be told this by that child…to nudge me forward to report.

It’s awful to think that a child could have witnessed such a thing…potentially more than once. I’m just so sad about this whole situation. I really hope everything goes okay.

• Bam
                        16877 posts Send Private Message

It really sounds quite horrible, I’m glad you are reporting it!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Sad situation…WWYD?