Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Sable’s a baldy now too!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Anita Stark
      Participant
      194 posts Send Private Message

The fur around his face has been undergoing some noticeable changes, and last night when I picked him up gobs of loose hair started coming off.  For a while he looked like he had a real punk rocker doo!  Now there’s still a little tuft between his ears and down by his nose but the space in between and around his eyes is smooth.  One little patch looked a bit pinkish last night, but this morning it is already closing fast with a new growth of silky dark hair.

If it hadn’t been for this site, I might have panicked, but I realize he is at the right age for his grown up fur to be replacing all that baby fluff.  He looks more grown up and sophisticated already.  I’ll miss that fluffy baby look, but he’s still adorable.

Is there anything special I should do for him?  I have been brushing him daily and trying to pick off loose clumps, but are there special supplements or anything that he should have?

Thanks!

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

Anistark – It’s like fur explosion here too.  I’m so glad that you were able to find out about molting here.  It can be startling!   Some bunnies molt like that even when they get older, but usually it’s just the first that is so drastic.   And dependng on where you live, your bunny may molt every few months.  Some lighter, some heavier molts.

You are doing the right thing though.  When you have a bunny who is going through an explosion type of molt, then brushing everyday is a good idea. It will keep them from digesting too much and causing problems.   You do have to be careful to not accidentally pull out hair that isn’t quite ready. It can irritate their skin.  (I doubt you are doing that, but just in case, I had to put that out there because even today, I know I have to watch that myself too.)

Many people claim that Oxbow Papaya tablets, are a great supplement to help the digestive track break down hair, and prevent blockages.   Though there is some data that suggest it has nothing to with helping break down hair, I still use it.  (it reminds me when vitamin C was debated)

But either way, it doesn’t hurt a bunny, and so if it does actually help then that’s just icing on the cake.  

Happy Molting!

• Anita Stark
          Participant
          194 posts Send Private Message

Thanks Binkybunny.  I will try to get some papaya tablets .. who knows, maybe I’ll win some here

When so much fur was coming off his face the other night, I think I may have pulled a little bit that came off with another clump (that might explain the pinkish part) though I’ve been extra careful since and have avoided even rubbing in that area.  This morning his forehead has almost completely filled in.  That tuft between his ears is tempting though!  But I’ll be patient and just keep brushing it to get the already loose stuff out.

He’s got a bit on his haunches just starting to go.  How long should it take for molting to complete?

Thanks!

• barbara elliott
            Participant
            21 posts Send Private Message

anitastark–

I had to laugh about your description of Sable–Jhumpa’s got a punk rocker look going on, too. For him, it’s all on the back of his head and around the ears; it looks pretty silly from behind. Good luck with the fur! Happy molting~

• BinkyBunny
              8776 posts Send Private Message

The time it takes to molt really depends on the bunny and the severity of the weather.  Sometimes it can happen over a few days, other times it happen over a couple of weeks.  Sometimes it starts fast, and then slows down or vice versa (usually that happens when there are extreme weather during the molt.)

Good Luck in the drawing!!  

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The topic ‘Sable’s a baldy now too!’ is closed to new replies.

Forum DIET & CARE Sable’s a baldy now too!