Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Runny nose!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Smokey/HoneyBBunny
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

I just recently got a new bunny and she is very young. I’m guessing 6 to 8 weeks. When I got her she has a runny nose. It’s not as bad as it was when I first got her but it still running. She sneezes some too not alot but atleast 3-4 times a day. She sleeps alot. EATS like she’s not been feed in days. Her poop is normal. I got her at a local pet store that my husband and I have brought other animals from. Smokey our dawf Netherland was purchased there. He is fine. Just wondering if there is anything I could give her to help the runny nose. I’m ok with natural things. So any help will be GREAT!!   Thank you!!

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

welcome here. it sounds like she needs to be seen by a vet. discharge from the nose is something that can usually be cleared up pretty easily with antibiotics, but like with most things, the longer it goes, the worse it will be. it’s a good idea anyway to take any new bunny to the vet shortly after bringing them home for a general check-up. this is especially important with a petstore bunny, as they are more prone to illness from the poor living conditions (close quarters with other buns) and being weaned too early.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

Often bunnies from petstores have been exposed to Pasturella which is what your describing-‘snuffles’. It would be a really good idea to take her in, untreated it can cause lots of problems. Do you have a rabbit vet already?

• Jude
            Participant

When I adopted my second bunny she was three months old and was sneezing and had a runny nose. The vet put her on antibotic that would treat pasturella and she was fine. Since pasturella cannot be cured she does occassionally have problems with it and the vet just puts her back on antibotics again.

• Smokey/HoneyBBunny
              Participant

Thank you EVERYONE!! For all the information! Honey B has a vet appointment this afternoon and I will report back later this evening with the findings.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                Participant
                12067 posts Send Private Message

How did she do at the vet?

• Smokey/HoneyBBunny
                  Participant

Hello Everyone! I am happy to report that Honey B simply has dust in her little nose due to the fact that she is so close to the ground and that she LOVES her hay!! I took her to my local vet and he was not aware of the problem with giving oral amoxicillian to bunnies and he prescribed that for her. I was unaware also but when I seen a HUGE HUGE  change in her whole personality I became very very concerned. So I did some looking around on the internet and sure enough….BAD!! So I stopped giving her the amoxil. She had a total of 3 doses and has completly recoved. She is back to her normal little self bein the sweet little baby girl that she is.  I did take her to a rabbit vet today he see around 3 to 5 bunnies a week and is very very good with them and their illness!! He looked at her nose and listened to her little lungs and she clear as can be!! He did some blood work to make sure there are no problems from the amoxil but he seemed pretty sure there wouldn’t be in that she is back to doin her normal zip and rip thur the living room and then fallin down with her back feet behind her. I’d say legs but she all feet at the moment. She hasn’t grown into those thumpers just yet.

I am sorry it has taken me so long to report back but I have also be quite ill with food poisoning. I am feel much better and I’m back to eating real food as of today and I feel almost normal still get tired pretty quick but I will be fine I’m sure. lol

• Sarita
                    Participant
                    18851 posts Send Private Message

Oh goodness – I’m glad you found another vet that knows better! Sounds like she is in much better hands with the 2nd vet.

I’m glad you are feeling better as well.

• xParadise
                      Participant
                      182 posts Send Private Message

Glad she’s back to being her normal self. You would think the first vet would have done some research before prescribing something.. how scary! Sounds like your second vet is more knowledgeable. Hope the both of you get better soon!

• jerseygirl
                        22345 posts Send Private Message

You were so vigilant with the amoxicillan – well done! What are the concerns regarding this?

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Runny nose!