Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Run of the floor, or play pen?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • msarro
      Participant
      119 posts Send Private Message

Right now when I let Layla out, its a closely supervised run of the full bedroom/top floor of the house. My plan is to eventually allow her to run around wherever she likes on the floor, once I can get gates for the stairs, have the room bunny proofed, and have her reliably litter trained.

Is it better that I keep giving her supervised time out of the cage? Or should I purchase a playpen for her as a next step so she can get used to a larger lay of land than her current cage, but still not have complete access to the whole room? I’d still give her supervised time out of the pen of course.

Just trying to go about this the best way. I envision having a house rabbit the same way people have house cats and house dogs

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Since she is very young, I think a pen would be a great idea until she is old enough to have free roam of the house. She’s pretty small from what I remember of the pictures and you would be surprised where she can get to at that age and size.

• kimberleyanddarren
          Participant
          2520 posts Send Private Message

i agree, i think a playpen would be the best option for sure

• dmh426
            Participant
            433 posts Send Private Message

you have to work up with the amount of space they get. Sophie had a smaller cage, now a 2 floor condo with a puppy yard around it as her “yard”. She finally has free range privileges in the house, but it took 2 years to get to that. Think of your bunny like a teenager. You can’t let them out of th ehouse with no curfew the first time out of the gate. you have to let them out until 4:00 p.m. after school, then 7:00, then 10:00….bunny parenting is a type of parenting. Let them earn their privileges!

• msarro
              Participant

Haha, sounds good. Thank you for the advice folks. I know right now she’s always super excited to be out running around, even if I am skulking over her while she explores. I am going to save up and try to get her a pen yet this month and let her have free run of that to make sure she remembers litter training, etc.

Thanks again for all of your help!

• kimberleyanddarren
                Participant
                2520 posts Send Private Message

you could still let her out for an hour or so as long as you are 100% watching, ie. not with 1 eye on the telly

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

Not sure how much NIC cubes cost where you are, but you might be able to make a pen for cheaper out of those-depends on the price. Also you can find pens on Kijiji.ca/com select your city and then search in pets

• msarro
                    Participant
                      Posted By Kokaneeandkahlua on 08/19/2008 7:07 AM
                      Not sure how much NIC cubes cost where you are, but you might be able to make a pen for cheaper out of those-depends on the price. Also you can find pens on Kijiji.ca/com select your city and then search in pets

Thank you so much for your suggestion!

My parents actually do some promo work for pointer hill (http://www.pointerhill.com) and claim that their prices are quite low for custom built pens and enclosures. I was thinking of going with one of theirs since they’re extremely close to where I live

Once I have my bills taken care of for the month I plan to get the pen, so if its too expensive from pointer I will absolutely look into those NIC cubes!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant
                      12067 posts Send Private Message

Neat site-I’ve never heard of them before-I’ll have to take a peep in a bit

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Run of the floor, or play pen?