Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Rubberband update

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
    • chloesmom
      Participant
      24 posts Send Private Message

Chloe just got back from the vet. Her poops had gotten much smaller, darker and harder today. I took along poops from yesterday and some from today. They look totally different. I also took along a rubberband identical to the one we think she ate. The vet kinda snickered when he saw the 3 inch rubberband and didn’t think it would be a problem at all for her to pass it.  Now I’m really worried, I hope he knows what he is talking about. He prescribed an antibiotic as her temp. was 103.5, also a anti inflammatory, a laxative and a critical care force feed. He said make sure if she isn’t pooping normally by Friday, to make sure to call because he will be gone all weekend. I’m thinking, Friday??, I’ll be back tomorrow if she isn’t doing better! This is the same vet that spayed her and we were really happy with him. I said  what if she doesn’t pass it? he said that internal surgery is a huge risk for rabbits. I just gave her the laxative. Gosh I hope she starts pooping soon.

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Hmmm….did he take an x-ray? I’m not certain myself if the rubberband would show up in an x-ray or not since I’ve not had this happen with my buns. I do think rabbit temps are between 100 and 103.5.

Keep us updated.

• LittlePuffyTail
          18092 posts Send Private Message

Oh my goodness. I hope your little girl is okay! Make sure to let us know.

• rabbitsmba
            Participant
            475 posts Send Private Message

Her temp is normal for a rabbit, not high. And I don’t know about a laxative for a rabbit – the last thing you want is diarrhea! But then again, I’m not a vet. I would think a motility drug (metaclopromide, cisipride) would be a better choice – that would get her insides moving if that was what he wanted the laxative to do.

And if she is not pooping by tomorrow, back you go! No waiting until Friday for sure!

You can also try a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket for warmth and plenty of belly rubs. This should help things get moving in the meantime.

• bunnytowne
              Participant
              7537 posts Send Private Message

poor little thing a tummy rub does sound like a good idea too tho. hope it gets passed soon I wonder if she will need some help with it it may not come out in 1 blob  you know if it shows up may need a tug from you to get things  all out. yeah i know sounds gross. sorry jsut a thougth cuz our dogs would have a piece of grass and be running around it driving them crazy couldn’t complete passing it so well anyway I think you get the picture without any  more gross discussion of it

• Sarita
                Participant
                18851 posts Send Private Message

I agree with rabbitsmba about the gut motility drugs too – I’ve known of vets to use laxatives though for certain situations too though.

• JK
                  Participant
                  2223 posts Send Private Message

Eeeeks. I’ll keep my fingers crossed things come out ok (sorry about the pun)!

• MimzMum
                    Participant
                    8029 posts Send Private Message

Lots of healing vibes for your bun coming from our household. ^^ I agree not to wait till Friday, especially if your vet is going to be gone all weekend. I’ve seen docs who tend to take off ‘early’ on Thursday since it’s not ‘busy’ at the office.

• Scarlet_Rose
                      Participant
                      4293 posts Send Private Message

Gosh I am so sorry about Chloe. I really hope she starts pooing more soon. Plenty of good *healing vibes* for Chloe.

• chloesmom
                        Participant

Yea!! Chloe had some poops in her litter box this morning! She was not eating at all last night , so I force fed her the ox-bow. She seemed alot more active this morning. Last night she just laid around. Just gave her some fresh hay, still doesn’t seem too interested. Any thoughts on getting her to eat her hay? Thanks so much for your good thoughts. Where else could I come and discuss rabbit poop? You are all so great!

• LittlePuffyTail
                          18092 posts Send Private Message

Yeah! Poops! It’s great to see poops when your worried!!

• babybunsmum
                            Participant
                            3896 posts Send Private Message

poops!!!!  phew *wipes forehead*

i’m glad she seems better today.  would she eat hay if you held a piece right under her nose?  sometimes when i do this my buns will grab at it, seemingly to just get it the heck out of their face, but then start munching on it.  good luck!

• bunnytowne
                              Participant
                              7537 posts Send Private Message

poops yeah we are weird about the poops here lol. never knew rabbit poops to be sooo important but they are. anyone else not rabbit parents would think we are nuts. may your bun be in excellent health and that rubberband be history

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                Participant
                                12067 posts Send Private Message

Glad to hear she’s pooping!! Keep us posted!

• osprey
                                  Participant
                                  2065 posts Send Private Message

Good deal that the bun is making some poops.  To try to get her to eat something on her own, have you tried any fresh, fragrant herbs?  Snap the stems in half to let out some of the smell and juices, then gently slide the stem into her mouth.  She might take it from you that way.  i like to do this to get post operative buns going.  I usually use italian parsley, cilantro and mint to try this.

• chloesmom
                                    Participant

Thanks for all the suggestions. She still has not touched her hay or water today. She is eating some kale and parsley. I’ve been sprinkling a little water on her veggies, I’m afraid she will dehydrate. I force fed her three times today. She is just lying around , very inactive. She has only had about 20 poops today, they do seem to be larger than yesterday, but still very dark. Guess it could be her meds or maybe lack of hay. I’m worried that the pain meds and antibiotic could be affecting her diet. Still no sign of the rubberband. I’ve been giving her belly rubs, but she doesn’t seem to enjoy them very much. Has anyone tried lactobacillus? I have read good and bad about it.

• babybunsmum
                                      Participant
                                      3896 posts Send Private Message

no, i haven’t tried lactobacillus.  hopefully some one else can comment / offer an opinion.  poor bun bun!  at least she’s eating some greens.  have you tried feeding her celery cut in small pieces?  its got a really high water content and my bun was eating some after her operation along with parsley.  (((((((((vibes)))))))))

• kimberleyanddarren
                                        Participant
                                        2520 posts Send Private Message

no i havent tried it sorry hun but someone will dont worry! keep us updated ((((vibes))))

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                          Participant
                                          12067 posts Send Private Message

Haven’t tried it, but will comment on the dark poos. Kokanee is my ‘bad hay eater’ and her poos are definitely darker then my other buns, when she picks up on eating hay they get lighter so I’m fairly sure that’s why they are darker.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                            Participant
                                            4293 posts Send Private Message

Lactobacillus acidophilus does not naturally occur in the rabbit GI tract, however for some reason, in some applications, it does seem to help.  It doesn’t hurt and you could try it, just do not give it at the same time as the antibiotics. I use the chewable kind manufactured by American Health and they have flavors: strawberry, blueberry and banana.  My two love the banana and blueberry, they aren’t too fond of the strawberry. Here is a picture of the bottle:http://www.vitamincottage.com/shop/product_view.asp?id=8832&StoreID=47821D90B2AA4A7C91E85DD915331B09&private_product=0

It is also something you should discuss with the vet as they may have certain probiotics they prefer as well. Oh yes, and I find it at my local health food store – it is not likely you will find it at a GNC.

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Rubberband update