Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Rose Hips

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • PocketFaeries
      Participant
      81 posts Send Private Message

I just tried to offer Finn a yummy rose hip…the solid, hard, dried variety of this. Finn was just not interested. I thought for sure this would be a big hit with the bunny crowd!  Do your bunnies enjoy them? Is it an acquired bunny taste?  I was hoping it would be a favorite, but Finn kept sticking her/his head down and rubbing against the darn thing instead of eating it! LOL

I’m thinking perhaps I could soak it in water to soften it, but was really hoping Finn would like it as is because I figured the crunchy nature of it would be a great healthy snack that’s good for the teeth.

After a nice good scratch with the rose hip on the face and between the ears at Finn’s direct request, I’m starting to wonder…does my bunny know s/he’s a bunny?  LOL Perhaps all this lounging with the dogs has gotten to my primabunny!

• Floppy
        Participant
        490 posts Send Private Message

I used to get the soft sorbent bedding/litter stuff that had roses in it and
          my bunny loved it, he would look for it and eat all of it and just leave the litter stuff.
          Some bunnies are just picky…

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message

Oh PocketFaeries that is funny! Mine had the same reaction and the rose hips have a lot of vitamin C too! I think Finn’s mind has been warped and he thinks he is a dog now! LOL Oh dear, you might want to try rose buds instead. Mine will munch on a few here & there but there favorite are the chamomile and lavender flowers.

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

Well, if Finn starts fetching balls I think you should definitely post it online Different bunnies have different tastes when it comes to treats. I have had great success with raisins as a special treat, also banana is quite fun to see a bunny eat, but only 3 of my bunnies like banana. As far as crunchy fun treats, my bunnies (as pretty much all others) are BIG fans of willow leaves and willow wood! I have noticed that it takes a couple of my bunnies a bit of wary sniffing before they will even try a treat, and if I leave them with it overnight they will probably eat it. Was Finn rubbing his chin on it? If so, he must like it a least a little bit because that is a bunny’s way of scenting it and saying “This is MINE!”

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

Too cute – it does sound like he is claiming it as his or else he loves the fragrance.

I have some of these but the particular rabbit I wanted to have these for snacks turned up his nose – I am going to try them on my other buns though because I’m sure that somebun will like them.

Sometimes you just have to be persistent – sometimes it works and you win and sometimes it doesn’t work and bunny wins.    Hopefully curiousity will win and bunny will try new stuff (if you are luckly LOL).

• PocketFaeries
                Participant

Hee, hee, hee…I did not know this until reading your inquiry, but YES, Finn most certainly is rubbing the rose hips on the chin!  I just tried offering another one, and it went *straight* to the chin without any further ado!  I tried to be sneaky by slipping one in with a couple of fresh carrot bits in my hand (that’s our usual treat routine), but Finn cleverly avoided the rose hip until the end and then just rubbed his chin on it exactly as you said.

Hmmm….rose buds sounds like a nice option. Do you have a suggestion for where to order them?  Sigh…I suppose the whole "rose" thing is more for me than for Finn, LOL.  I just wanted to properly express my love.

• Sarita
                  Participant
                  18851 posts Send Private Message

Look under feed and hay on this website:

http://www.bunnybytes.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi

They have rose petals, rose buds and just added red clover flowers, chamomile flowers and a nice flower mixture – haven’t tried the new stuff yet, but I want too.

Tried the rose buds and rose petals – they are pricey but it is a treat. 

• PocketFaeries
                    Participant

Ooooh….I can’t wait to look at those choices!  I’ve got chamomile flowers and red clover flowers here already for my tea making endeavors…I may just try those first!   I also have hibiscus, lotus, and others…fun, fun!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Rose Hips