Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Rose foliage?

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
    • Kokaneeandkahlua
      Participant
      12067 posts Send Private Message

So Dave finally bought me flowers!! LOL

Roses-I know bunnies can eat the flower but what about the leaves? I thought I should give the roses a couple of days before I feed them to the bunnies and their were alot of leaves that came on them so I thought I could wash them and give them to my bunny crew-what do you think?

• jerseygirl
        22342 posts Send Private Message

Yep, they should chow them down. Only thing to be wary of is pesticides I guess. If your suss, maybe feed the inner petals of the flower and skip the leaves. Wow – it’s like a gift to you and the bunnies!

• Hedi
          Participant
          969 posts Send Private Message

My buns will “steal” the petals that would fall once the roses would begin to die. Kinda cute.

And Jersey is right! It is a person for the bunnies as well as you! The perfect gift!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant

I got home tonight and Dave had thrown out all the leaves I’d set aside to feed them, if it were OK to feed them!! Guess they’ll have to wait a couple days then I’ll give them the petels

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits can eat roses, petals, leaves, and stems with thorns and all.

• MimzMum
                Participant
                8029 posts Send Private Message

Rose (lolz…Rose in a thread about roses) ^_^ do you happen to know if any breed of rose can be fed to bunnies? In the summer we have wild roses growing here, people make candied rose hips with them when fall comes. They don’t look like regular roses, they are almost like a pansy with their wide open blooms.

http://www3.northstar.k12.ak.us/schools/tan/Alaska/wildrose/index.html

http://www.alaskarosesociety.org/documents/Wild_roses_in_Alaska.htm

The second link says that wild rabbits (and other wild animals) eat the whole plant, but I’m wondering if it would be okay to give to house rabbits? (There are small, splinter-like thorns all over this plant with the exception of the hips and petals, so I think I could only give them these.)

• Balefulregards
                  Participant
                  715 posts Send Private Message

Mimz – I think what you have are an Old Rose called “Rosa Rugosa” which is an amazingly hardy rose varietal – It can thrive in Alaska, and is found up and down the coasts of Maine – thriving in salt water.

I am not sure if Buns can eat the foliage, though.

1215295374754.jpg

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant

LOLZ Mimz! Roses are one of my favorite flowers too. Hence my name and I am fond of red roses in particular (so stereotypical I know). I know that tea-type roses are OK for rabbits to chow down on the stems but the wild ones, I wouldn’t since there are so many thorns and all splintery. I would say to use your judgement.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant

GERBERAS!!! I love gerberas!! But I’m’ happy for the roses so the bunnies can have a treat

They come in so many colors and are so purty!! http://www.amablom.co.za/Portals/2/Gerbera_Mini_catologue.jpg

• MimzMum
                        Participant

That’s so odd that you should mention tea roses, since I just got some pink rose buttons from my local health food store for my daughter, as she has terrible times with her monthly and I read the tea made from them is supposed to help that. Maybe I should get a few for my bunnies too as treats? (Can they eat the dried ones?)

Daughter is so into anime and manga and most of the stories contain some kind of tea rose or other flower, she just naturally wanted to try them. I found that serendipitous! ^_^

Gerbera is really a flower, K&K? 0_o When I play Animal Crossing Wild World there’s a gerbera in it, but I thought it was a plastic flower! xD

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant

Their a lovely flower!! I just found Gerberas a few years ago and I love them!

I don’t see any reason they can’t eat dried roses their shouldn’t be anything added so dried should be good

• HippityHopMom
                            Participant
                            89 posts Send Private Message

I, myself, DO NOT feed my buns Store bought roses  … or roses from a florist ……. as they put chemicals in the water to keep them fresher longer …. these chemicals are asborbed into the stem and flower.    Aspirin is another item florists  use in the water.   

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                              Participant

I just looked it up and apparently putting aspirin in the water is an old wives tale…Where did you hear they do this?

• FluffyBunny
                                Participant
                                1263 posts Send Private Message

I fed Mr. Bunny a small piece of rose petal last night…He seems okay today…

• xParadise
                                  Participant
                                  182 posts Send Private Message

I don’t think they use chemicals to preserve the flowers at floral shops. They give you little packets of “plant food” which I think is just a sugar mixture for when you bring them home. But they keep really well at floral shops because they refrigerate them, and most people don’t do that at home.

• Moonlight_Wolf
                                    Participant
                                    1155 posts Send Private Message

What about if fertilizer is used? Is it poisonous then?
                                      What flowers are edible to bunnies other than roses? My mom has a HUGE garden and I would like to snag a few to give Fern. Do you feed flowers in small quantities? Like treats?

• MimzMum
                                      Participant

We always used to use aspirin for flower freshness. You mean it doesn’t work? 0_o

Well…does sugar not work either then?

And the rose buttons I got were from a health store. Those should be safe, yes?

• HippityHopMom
                                        Participant
                                        89 posts Send Private Message

I have always used aspirin in my fresh cut flowers too.    The aspirin does seem to keep the flowers looking better longer.   It was a dr. that told me this  bit of advice. 

Regarding my note above ….Years ago, a friend of mine owned a florist and they added a preservative to the flower water.    I called one florist  today  to inquire if they put any type preservatives in their flower water.  They said they DO NOT use anything at their store  to keep the flowers fresher longer.  She said they found if they change the water often and keep their flowers in coolers , their flowers stay fresh.     I am wondering if other florists or grocery stores use anything ?   I will make some more calls to check on this.   

• Scarlet_Rose
                                          Participant

I would only give them organic, pesticide free flowers. Mimz, they can have dried ones too, just make sure they are organic and pesticide free. I didn’t know that about the aspirin…interesting and I think that most of you are right that it is an old wives tale.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                            Participant

Ok the stuff I foudn online said aspirin doesn’t work The refridgeration definitely does though!!

Moonlight-Fertilizers are generally poop-so I’d think that’s OK too I know Marigolds are loved by bunnies and I plant some every year for mine, and Kokanee has some on her grave-she loved them lots-I feed one flower every couple days as a treat (bonus marigolds are supposed to keep mosquitos away-though that could be an old wives tail too!)

I’m not sure of any other kinds of flowers. The way I check for something is first find a few sites that say its OK, then check all the poisonous plant listings and make sure it’s not on there. Then google sites where they are talking about poisonous plants to plant in your garden to keep rabbits away (jerks…) and if they check out on a few sites in all three categories then I buy some and try a small amount. But so far I’ve only done roses and marigolds…I bet there are more that are OK.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                              Participant

I would add chamomile to the bunny-safe category. I do however want to give a word of caution though, that just because the plany is not listed as “toxic” does not mean it would not harm your animal so I would stick strictly to the bunny-approved list. I realize that a lot of things are not on there, that is because there is just little or not much information with regards to it and it’s effect on rabbits. The toxic plant lists are usually generated around cats and dogs and rabbits are well, special and so it is really hard to say. So, if in doubt, error on the side of caution.

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Rose foliage?