Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Room mate’s rabbit does /not/ like me!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • ShalP
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hello! I am not a rabbit owner- my room mate has a dutch rabbit as an ESA. She can be very sweet at times, but she just does not like me very much at all. She tries boxing me, bites, and has even hissed at me. She is supposed to live in an enclosure on my room mate’s side of the room (it covers about 1/4 of the floor, she has plenty of space + toys!) but she jumps out often, and that’s when she really gets in a huff. She will thump, chase my legs, and generally be surprisingly aggressive for a four pound ball of fluff.

How can I discourage her biting/aggression? I don’t want to stress her out simply by being in the same room as her.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

Oooh those Dutch rabbits can be very opinionated!

Is the bunny spayed? If not, that could explain a lot of the behaviors! Spaying is also important to prevent reproductive cancer. Can you ask your roommate to get a taller pen so the bunny can’t escape? That seems important for safety issues too.

In terms of bonding with the bunny, do you notice a particular trigger that might cause her to attack you?

Hand feeding is always a good way to win over a bunny, but you have to make sure you aren’t rewarding her attacking you. Sometimes the best course is to ignore the bunny to the best of your ability. Maybe when she’s calm and your roommate is there, you could try sitting on the floor with her to start building some positive associations?

If she bites you, squeal loudly (” EEEEK EEEEK EEEEE”) to let the bun know she hurt you. If you need to move her away from you, push down on the top of her shoulders and turn her that way (don’t put a hand near her face).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Room mate’s rabbit does /not/ like me!