Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Ripping up carpet

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • Paisley&Sage
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

Hi! I have two bunnies both who are mischievous. I moved out of a carpeted apartment in December. I am moving back to a carpeted apartment in just a few weeks. They thoroughly enjoy ripping up carpet. Previously, my only option was to keep them in an xpen while I was sleeping or out of my house but any other time allow them to roam when I can keep an eye on them. Their living situation since December is an entire basement, so I think they will be disappointed being downgraded to an xpen. Any suggestions of how to prevent them from ripping up carpet so I can allow them to roam even when I am away?

Also, any suggestions of how to get rabbit urine off of carpet? I’ve been using nature’s miracle which is pretty effective, but I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion of something better. They also sometimes like peeing on the carpet and ruining it that way to…. gotta love them but they cost me my security deposit haha

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

Hmmmm, the safest thing I can think of if you want to allow more free-roam time is to make a bunny-proof floor on top of the actual floor. For a few months in late 2020 I lived with my in-laws and we wanted to make sure our buns didn’t destroy the carpet in the guest room. I put down a huge plastic sheet (you can get thick plastic sheeting from the hardware store), and then I laid down those low-pile indoor/outdoor carpets on top (also from the hardware store). I weighed the edges where they were prone to chew down with heavy tiles.

This set-up worked pretty well and was easy to keep clean. Granted none of these buns was obsessed with carpet chewing, but that particular carpet was really low pile so they tended not to try to dig in it. You could also lay down a big sheet of vinyl flooring and put some rugs or blankets on top. I’m imagining you could do this in one portion of a room that they could have access to 24/7, and then just supervise in other areas?

I recommend getting a carpet spot cleaner. I use a bissell spot clean pro and it’s amazing for pet messes. I used to have a smaller hand-held battery powered bissell spot cleaner but it was annoying to keep charged and very low capacity. I also like to use the natures miracle carpet shampoo with it, I find this works better than the normal nature’s miracle.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Ripping up carpet