Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Reunited after Christmas holidays – strange bunny behaviour

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • JoBunny123
      Participant
      30 posts Send Private Message

I’ve just been reunited with my bunny after the Christmas holidays and he doesn’t like me anymore! He’s so quiet, won’t take food from me, doesn’t want to go near me and is generally being strange and not like my bunny.

Has this happened with your bunny? How long did it take for them to get used to you / the environment again?

(I know he was very well looked after at his holiday home so that wouldn’t be a problem)

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

Is he eating and pooping OK in general? And just being timid? Just wondering if he could have a medical issue going on, or if he’s just a bit scared.

Was he looked after at another location? I know my buns take a few days to relax again when they have stayed at another person’s house.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• JoBunny123
          Participant

really small poo when he first came back but now looks normal. Eating plenty of hay and drinking water but not interested in treats of any kind, not even apple! He’s just so quiet and not showing a reaction to anything, not even if I pick him up, it’s weird. He’s like another rabbit. He was looked after at a new place about 30 mins away by car. (he’s been in the car before with no problems) I guess I naively thought that he’d be happy to see me again and at least acknowledge me!

• DanaNM

It sounds like the stress of it all might have caused some GI slow down. Turning down a treat is kind of a red flag that something is up. Not reacting when you pick him up is also alarming.

It’s good that his poop is back to normal and he’s eating lots of hay and water. I would say it’s your call whether to take him to the vet. If you think he’s improving, keep pushing hay and water and monitoring. But if you think he’s not improving, I would go to the vet straight away.

You can try giving a tummy rub and some baby gas drops to see if he perks up, because gas pain can cause symptoms like you describe.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• JoBunny123
              Participant

It’s so scary how quickly these things can happen. I’m happy to say that after watching him for most of the night he’s back to normal this morning and has been hopping around and exploring the whole flat once again. He binkied so much in his playpen that his water bowl tipped over!

• bunbun00
                Participant
                28 posts Send Private Message

My bun does this whenever I go away for a night or two! I don’t think you should worry too much (unless his diet/poops are unusual) because I find that they do sulk!

Onix has tantrums that can last for a few days he will run away, growl and jump on my head in the night!

But slowly he will creep up for cuddles, so I do think they come around. I just don’t think they like being left behind! Hope everything gets back to normal for you, just shows buns have so much personality!

• DanaNM

Really glad to hear he’s on the mend!

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                    Participant
                    2512 posts Send Private Message

Whew, that’s a relief! Thanks for keeping us posted. Rabbits are very delicate animals, not only physically but also emotionally. They can display odd behaviours when they feel lonely or when they are upset about something. Some bunnies give their humans “the butt” when they return home. Quite an odd reaction, as most animals will be overjoyed to see you again. Rabbits have a big opinion about nearly everything, and won’t hesitate you let you know what they think about it all.

We had an odd situation with our bun Breintje. I haven’t been able to travel for 2 years now, but we always took Breintje with us when we went to my in-laws. Sadly he can’t free roam there like he does at my place. My BF’s parents agreed to have him in a hutch in the kitchen, but that wasn’t enough interaction for him. He refused to eat but didn’t show any other signs of illness. I had to pet him and sit with him for quite a while, and suddenly he started to eat again. He perked up when we were on the train again, and spent much of the journey perching on my chest.

• DanaNM

So true Ellie! They really are such emotionally sensitive and complex creatures. Bun Jovi often gets in moods where he needs to be doted on for a while. He really is a sensitive little guy, and I think he pouts when we gets lonely. He’s had a bit of a rough life, after being returned to the shelter twice after his past bonded mates dying, so I think he just needs a little extra love!

That said, emotional stress and sadness can trigger real physical illness in rabbits, so it’s always good to fuss over your bun as much as possible when they are acting off!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Reunited after Christmas holidays – strange bunny behaviour