Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Rescued Bunny

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    • JessL
      Participant
      48 posts Send Private Message

It’s been a week since I’ve rescued my bunny from the shelter. He has is own room and is free to go anywhere else.
        He’s litter trained and is settling in alright.

He’s still a bit wary of stepping outside his room (which is directly connected to my room) but has lately decided to make a second bed for himself under my bed, including dragging spare sheets off a shelf and onto his ‘spot’.

He’s not very fond of being picked up or cuddled (yet?) and hides in his box in his room a lot of the time.
         The only way to get him out is to have the cat come in the room (who keeps running off but keeps coming back for more, and likes to secretly sleep in the same room )

I know it’s only been a week but I’m wondering if my bunny will be more confident with his new surroundings, and me in the future? or has he made his mind up already?  I love him to bits either way but I can’t help but feel guitly I’m not making him happy!

I’m hoping to get him a companion soon too, but am trying to set up the rooms to make it easier for the bonding process.

P.S. The room is no longer that tidy! lol

1112583973071.JPG
        1112583993354.JPG

• LittlePuffyTail
        18092 posts Send Private Message

You have a very nice area set up for your bun! I wouldn’t worry about the “not cuddly” thing. My bun Stormy I have had for 3 years and he’s just not a cuddler. I let him run and he does his own thing. He is really hard to catch often too. That’s just his bunny persona.

Bindi my new bunny was very shy at first and it took her a little while to come around but now she will hop up on the couch with me and cuddle. I would just give him some time. Maybe he never had a human to “play with” before. I’m sure you are making him very happy, your concern about his happiness shows your a very good bunny owner!

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message

What a sweetheart!  That’s a great set up you have and I can tell what a spoiled bun he is going to be.  Rabbits are usually really aloof until they settle into their new environement but what you can do it spend some time on the floor with him, bring a book and read, when he comes up to you, offer a treat or a pet on the head.  That way humans won’t be so scary to him and I bet he’ll warm right up to you!

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

He sure is cute and what a great set-up. He may never be a cuddle rabbit. Most of mine aren’t but that doesn’t mean they aren’t friendly. Scarlet Rose’s suggestions are good.

• babybunsmum
              Participant
              3896 posts Send Private Message

yup… spending time on the floor with my bun is the only way we get ‘quality time’.  ‘quality time’ of course means head pets for her      i can usually tell she’s working her way upto coming over for a sniff when she starts grooming.  it took a while before she’d let me walk upto her & pet her without running away.  depending on her mood she’ll still do this once & a while… silly goose.

you have a very cute bun & a great bunny set-up!  so sweet that you rescued him.  sounds like he found a great ‘warren’ under your bed

• Gravehearted
                Participant
                2428 posts Send Private Message

welcome to binkybunny Cuppycake! 🙂 what a cute lil face!! does he have a name yet?

I’d third the recommendation to lay on the floor with him, since bringing ourselves down onto their level makes us infinitely less overwhelming to bunnies. I like his set up too!

Under the bed (or chairs) is a favorite spot for many bunnies, it feels like a bunny warren.

• JessL
                  Participant

Thanks for the replies Already today he is exploring my room a bit more, even venturing towards the main door to the living room. He has dragged more sheets under my bed and he spends some time pushing them out and then digging them up and smoothing them out again, and then lies down on the soft baby blanket he’s put on top. Smart bunny!

I will keep you updated

Gravehearted – His name is Chief   Stole my heart from the first second. The first thing he did when I let him sniff my hand was lick me non stop. It’s a different story now but I’m glad he’s out of the tiny cage!

• Spacehopper
                    Participant
                    540 posts Send Private Message

Gorgeous! 🙂 Lucky bunny! My two live under my bed, so I say you’re doing a fab job, and wouldn’t worry about Chief not being happy!!! He’s getting himself settled, and seems most content.

• MarkBun
                      Participant
                      2842 posts Send Private Message

Yeah, it’s amazing how different rabbits can be when you get them home. When I was in the shelter, Maryann hopped over and sat on my lap. Until recently (five years later) I’ve finally found a way to get her back onto my lap. I lie on the couch and read a book. Within 5 minutes, she wants to know what I am doing and hops over and sits on my lap, trying to find what it is in those pages I find so interesting. Sometimes ‘ignoring’ the bunny will get the better of his curiosity, especially if you seem to be doing something.

• Gravehearted
                        Participant

aww – he looks like a Chief! 🙂 Now all he needs is a bunny badge and cute hat to patrol around your house!

It sounds like he’s been VERY busy already rearranging everything to his liking.

• Beka27
                          Participant
                          16016 posts Send Private Message

he’s probably so happy to be out of that shelter and into this great (BIG) loving home!  good job!  he may become more affectionate or he may not, but he seems to really have it made at your place!

• JessL
                            Participant

Thanks Beka
                              Weird thing is, ever since I tranced him last night he’s become A LOT more curious and doesn’t hide under my bed or in his box anymore. He will come over to me to see what I bought him for breakfast and all I could hear last night was him hopping all over the room
                              Maybe tonight I could get a hop on my lap. Early days!

• Gravehearted
                              Participant

aww, I love hearing about bunnies coming out of their shell like that. I think it just takes some time to build trust. Have you tried laying on the floor with him? Most bunnies can’t resist exploring the person on the floor 🙂

• JessL
                                Participant

I pretty much live on the floor now! He enjoyed me reading a magazine to him last night too. I will keep reading to him and hopefully he will want to come check it out some more 🙂

• osprey
                                  Participant
                                  2065 posts Send Private Message

Hi cuppycake, and welcome to BB! Thank you for saving a bunny from a shelter!

• JessL
                                    Participant

Thanks Osprey

I just saw Chief do his first ‘side flop’ and then stretch out completely. Made me SO happy I nearly cried lol. I’m really really happy to know and see that’s he comfortable here! Now just to get that poop off him..

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                      Participant
                                      12067 posts Send Private Message

Isn’t the ‘flop’ just the greatest! If he’s flopping already, I’m sure you have a very happy bunny! great job!

• Spacehopper
                                        Participant
                                        540 posts Send Private Message

Totally un bunny related but i must pay particular tribute to the tattooed sleeve, however headless, that I spy in the first piccy and say ROAR!!! Beep Beep!!

Ahem, and back on topic…Cuppycake, how has Chief been settling in? Found yourself rolling over onto numerous poopsies of varying states of solidity as you play about with bun on the floor???!

• JessL
                                          Participant

Spacehopper – that’s my friend Sam in the pic! I have a sleeve too though

Chief has been settling in fine. Especially within the past few days he’s really coming out of his shell. I was up all night listening to ‘jingle jingle jingle crash!’ from him playing with his ball and having it hit the wall a few times!
                                            I’m starting to wish I had carpet! Lying on hard wooden floors for hours isn’t the most comfortable experience, but all worth it. I’m starting to think I smell bad. Every time Chief comes over to me, he’ll sniff me then hop off!

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Rescued Bunny