Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Rescue Bunny Bonding

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • GatsbyandHange
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone! I just recently rescued a 4 year old female Netherland dwarf. Honestly my boy Gatsby picked her out as I was trying to get him bonded. Their bonding went smoothly and I’ve had them both back with me for two weeks now after they spent a week bonding at the shelter. Gatsby is 5 now and I’ve had him since he was a baby. He’s my best friend and he is very affectionate and bonded to me. My new girl, Hange, is very affectionate with Gatsby and they are always cuddling and grooming each other. On the other hand, Hange is very confusing to me. I gave her about a week to settle in and during that time she was very scared of me. The buns are free roam so for the past couple weeks I have just been sitting on the floor with them. I would let Hange come to me and ignored her for a couple days as I read to do online. Then I started rewarding her every time she came up to me. She seemed to warm up to me quickly as she associated me with good things. I finally tried to pet her and she would nudge my hand up as I was stroking her head. She would do this for each pet, moving her head with the pet, for about 4 or 5 strokes before she would run away, kicking her back feet at me. A day or two ago she finally melted to the floor and let me pet her, she even gave me some kisses after!! I was so happy that all my patience had paid off! But the past couple days she hasn’t allowed me to pet her. She has been nudging my hand up as I try and running away. I still will not approach her, I wait until she approaches me. She approaches me often as I do everything on the floor now, but as soon as I try to pet her she runs away. Just an hour ago she approached me and started to climb on me. I slowly reached my hand up to her to pet her and she nipped me pretty hard and ran away. She nips me quite often but never too hard. She’s so different from Gatsby. He gives seemingly unlimited kisses and will let me pet him for hours. I know that Hange enjoys being groomed because she’s always asking Gatsby to groom her. I’m confused if I’m doing something wrong, if I just need to be more patient, or if she is just an aggressive rabbit who doesn’t like being touched by humans. I don’t want to ride her off and Gatsby is already so bonded with her so I’m going to have her the rest of her life it would break my heart if her and I never bonded. Help!

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

It sounds like she is still just settling in! Two weeks is really no time at all. I would keep playing “hard to get”, as you have been. If she nips you, make the “eeeek eeek” sound to let her know she hurt you. If she gets really nippy towards hands, it helps to wear gloves and then try not to react when she nips (aside from the “EEEK” sound).

Many buns nudge when they want you to move out of their way, so if she gives you a nudge it may mean that she’d like you to move, rather than she’s asking for pets. It can be hard to tell the difference sometimes! Remember that buns communicate with each other through nudges and nipping, and with all their fur it doesn’t hurt them the way it hurts us.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Rescue Bunny Bonding