Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Reply to bonding 2 bunnies

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • 3 hearts
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

Hello apologies for double posting however I’m trying my best to continue replying to one of the mods since I can’t comment under my post anymore, however if this works then for the topic under tech issues, my reply to the mods is I still can’t message back without my screen saying it’s critical error still 🙁

my reply to the mods under my “Bonding 2 bunnies”

Hello! Thank you so much for the reply and help. The methods I have tried were the face to face methods however no fence, but my dad and I held one bunny in our arms and sat close to each other, the neutral space (both bunny in the dry bathroom with towel on floor), exchanging of each spaces and litter box, the doll method ( currently doing) and funny enough the mirror method that I made up. How I executed this method was placing two mirrors in their area where they frequently lay and litter box so they get to know their presence, visually in their space without being close. Majority of the methods I have used ended up with tornados and aggressive attacks especially from A plus also me not sticking with one method continuously for weeks but days. I will try again using the method you have explained with the fence that I gotta buy and the time period you have suggested thank you.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

Ok this is helpful!

So one thing that jumps out to me is that all of these methods were in pretty small spaces. For tougher bonds, the space you use is extra important. I’ve had the best luck in very large, very neutral spaces, such as at least 2 x-pens linked up in the backyard, the garage, or at friend’s house. The idea is that when you give the rabbits space to move around and get away from each other, a chase is less likely to immediately escalate to a tornado. It’s also important to end on a good note. If you end the session every time they fight, they learn that fighting will make that “other rabbit” go away. So either keep sessions short and end them before they fight, or wait until they are calm again before ending the session (even if you need to pet them to calm them down).

patience is also very important. I don’t think you need to stick with a method that isn’t working for days, but sometimes it takes some time for progress to occur. Focus on preventing fighting and encouraging calm behavior. So after you do the pre-bonding I mentioned in the other post and start bonding sessions again, don’t be afraid to pet them a lot during bonding sessions, especially when they approach each other. When they go nose to nose, pet them both and swap scents. This helps them think the other is grooming them and helps build some positive associations. Eventually you will become more hands off, but at first it can really help get past the initial tense interactions.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• 3 hearts
            Participant
            4 posts Send Private Message

I see, noted. I’ll try as much as I can since I actually live in an apartment. I will try using the fence in the living room as to try the bigger space bonding you have mentioned. Thank you so much

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

Ah yes, I lived in a studio apartment for about 10 years and finding neutral space for bonding was very tricky! The bathroom was the only mostly-neutral spot I had, and even then I’m sure it still smelled like “home” to the buns. If you really feel like you aren’t making any progress, I had a lot of luck with doing sessions at a friend’s house. I would also take them in the car together on the way to the session so I had the added stress-session as well.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Reply to bonding 2 bunnies