Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Reintroductions not going so well

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • Deleted User
      Participant
      22064 posts Send Private Message

I tried to put them back together and they are okay for a little while and then seemingly out of nowhere start chasing eachother around the cage and fighting and just generally freaking out. Could the female be pregnant or something??? I am just not sure the male is only like 8 weeks old so I thought he wasn’t old enough, but at the pet store we got her from she was in a cage with all male bunnies, but they were all pretty young i thought. So could she be pregnant from the pet store?? She is bigger than he is and so I am just not sure….OR is it just hormones and crazy male rabbit behavior making her angry.

I just dont know. They are together again now but they are not fighting right now…I am wiating to see how it goes.

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

It does sound like hormones. There will be some chasing though, but you don’t want fighting.

Did the pet store say how old they thought she might be? Not know her age it’s hard to know for certain whether she might be pregnant or not especially if she was in the cage with male rabbits.

Do you see his testicles yet? Are they descended? Have you gotten an appointment with the vet to have him look them over and for a neuter appointment.

I’m also wondering if they aren’t both males or both females since you only have the pet store’s say on the sex they are. Pet stores in the US are not very good at sexing rabbits so maybe these people aren’t good at sexing rabbits either.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

another thought… is it harder to sex a long-haired rabbit?  maybe the pet store people know how to sex, but it was difficult with her long hair.  but with their "requirement" of one male and one female, you would think they’d be good at it…

• Deleted User
            Participant

I mean I can try and check to see the sex….THey told me when I got them the male was 5 weeks old and the female was like 8 or 9 but they didnt seem sure about the female at all. She is really big compared to the male but she is just so furry.

As for the furry factor. I think they definitely knew the sex since they were so dead set on making me get a male and a female you know. they are still in the cage together and have not fought again. I think and I hope it is hormones as for the vet we are going to be there next week for an initial first visist thing.and hopefully the vet will be able to tell age.

Maybe this is silly but, I mean if his testicles have descended is it obvious or is it something I have to feel for? I am not sure. I dont see any when I hold him on his belly.

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

Usually it is  pretty clear when the testicles have descended (you can just see them) but sometimes they can hold them into their stomach as well.  How are they behaving now? 

• Gravehearted
                Participant
                2428 posts Send Private Message

oo that’s rough 🙁 were you able to sex them both?
                  i hadn’t read this post yet – but would seriously consider getting them fixed and then re-bonding them. I don’t want to see either of them getting seriously injured.

• Deleted User
                  Participant

Well they are together now when I am awake or my husband is home and they have been a lot better today and yesterday no fights … The boy bunny is really energetic and kind of destructive… I noticed today that instead of him doing the grooming on the female today she did the grooming on Levi so I am not sure what is going on with them. they keep destroying their home and moving stuff around. It is crazyness right now. Vet meeting on Friday!!! Yea. 

• Deleted User
                    Participant

Oh as for the sexing thing I checked Levi…He has the little bald spots on the left and right, but not prominent testicles, does that mean they have dropped? As for Astrid It looks like she is a female but she got kind of squirmy and kicky and i dont want her to hurt herself so I wll try with her again tomorrow, but she is also the lionhead so The fur is kind of in the way as well, so it is a bit harder with her but I think she is a female.

• Deleted User
                      Participant

Okay well based on the testicle discovery they are separate again.

• MsBinky
                        Participant
                        62 posts Send Private Message

Careful not to confuse bald spots for the scent glands. People often mistake females for males because of this. The best way is to "pop" the parts out and look at the shape. A slit is a female, whereas a circle is a male. I wish I could sex it for you. Hehe.

They could have scuffles for some time as they establish dominancy and do the occasional reminder thing also. Lol. As long as there’s no actual biting or attempt to bite, and neither is terrified, don’t get involved. A little chasing is normal.

• Gravehearted
                          Participant
                          2428 posts Send Private Message

sexing young bunnies can be very challenging, it’s part of the reason so many pet stores get it wrong!

this article has some photos, which may help you.

http://www.debmark.com/rabbits/sexing.htm

• Sarita
                            Participant
                            18851 posts Send Private Message

Let us know how your vet visit goes.

• MooBunnay
                              Participant
                              3087 posts Send Private Message

I hope all went well with the vet! I hope you do not have any surprises along the way…The fact that both bunnies are grooming each other sounds like they have made some good progress on bonding, which is very exciting! Let us know if you have any questions post-vet visit.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Reintroductions not going so well