Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Reglan and Metacam together?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunnyLiz
      Participant
      1212 posts Send Private Message

Can Reglan be given with pain killers? My vet put Hammer on Metacam, and he knew what else he was on (reglan and benebac).  Well when I got home and told my mom what was precribed she said that you cant take painkillers with Reglan.  My vet hadnt said anything about it, but I want to check just in case before I give it to him.  Thanks!

• BunnyMuffin
        Participant
        350 posts Send Private Message

I’m not sure. Could you give your vet a quick call just to confirm it’s okay? Or maybe first thing in the morning if it’s already too late?

• KatnipCrzy
          Participant
          2981 posts Send Private Message

Metacam (generic name Meloxicam) is a NSAID- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory- it is not a narcotic- so it can be used with Reglan.  The link below includes detailed info about Reglan/Metoclopramide and its contradictory use with narcotics.  So it is perfectly fine to use Reglan (for gut motility) with Metacam (for pain).

http://www.rxlist.com/reglan-drug.htm

If you Mom is still nervous just how her the info above and this link from the Metacam manufacturers website that state it is a NSAID.

http://www.bi-vetmedica.com/product_sites/METACAMORAL/reference.html

And if your Mom is still very skeptical- you could always call a human pharmacy and ask a pharmacist if Meloxicam (human version generic name) has any contraindications for use with Reglan.  Obviously they will only be able to answer from a human point of us.

• Thearina
            Participant
            29 posts Send Private Message

Yes, Reglan and Metacam can be used together. Reglan is help the gut function and metacam for pain. When one of my rabbits (Abbie) had GI Stasis my vet prescribed reglan 2x daily and pain med 2x daily (can’t remember the name) but said I can also use metacam as well. The reglan was needed because Abbie hadn’t been pooping or eating much and the pain med was for gas as it was causing her pain. Since the vet prescribed pain meds I asked if I could use metacam since I already had some and the vet said that I could use it 1x daily with the reglan and other pain med if I wanted because the metacam and other pain med worked in different ways but both were fine. So from what I was told my vet and what I’ve read on some websites that reglan and metacam can be used together.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

I was going to ditto that.

The only time you don’t want to give two medications is when they are the same or have similar ingreidents or actions. For instance if you take cough syrup with tylenol in it and then cold medication with tylenol in it-I think that’s what your mom is worried about.

Metacam is like ibuprofin/advil and reglan is a gut motility drug that acts on the GI tract

Keep us posted!! {{Hammer}}

• Gravehearted
                Participant
                2428 posts Send Private Message

actually the pain relief can really help, since even though the gut might be moving from the reglan – with the inflammation & discomfort a bunny is unlikely to want to eat on his/her own. hope your bunny is feeling better soon

• Sarita
                  Participant
                  18851 posts Send Private Message

I’ve always used reglan with a pain reliever and particularly with metacam. Pain relief is a must!

• BunnyLiz
                    Participant
                    1212 posts Send Private Message

Thanks guys!! Keep your fingers crossed that he will be feeling better really soon

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Reglan and Metacam together?