Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A red spot

• This topic has 10sd replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Bam.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • cappuccino/cappo
      Participant
      9 posts Send Private Message

hi everyone, im new on this site, i logged in to ask about my 4 month old (non altered) free roam rabbit. he has a red spot just under his ear and im freaking out about it. if anyone could tell me what it is or if i should take him to a vet that would be appreciated.

i will try to insert a picture.

• Bam
        16878 posts Send Private Message

Is it just red skin or is it swollen? Do you think there’s any sort of lump under the skin? Is there any sign of a sore/scratch that penetrates the skin? Do you see dandruff-like skin flakes in the area?

I’d try to clean it with saline, dab dry the skin with clean tissue paper or a compress.

Does he seem bothered by it? Does he scratch himself there?

• cappuccino/cappo
          Participant

Ok..

Its gotten worse. His ear is now swelling up and the redness has spread. (He won’t remain still for a picture 🙁).

• cappuccino/cappo
            Participant

There is a tiny lump under the skin but I didnt think that would be a problem considering his ear is located just under there. Theres no scratch in that area but he does tend to itch that spot more often.

The fur covering the spot is sticking together though, is that normal?

I’ll try to clean it with tissue paper and see what happens.

Thank you!

• Bam

If it’s getting worse I’d call a vet and hear what they have to say. A lump under the ear can be something that needs to be opened up surgically or expressed via the ear.

• cappuccino/cappo
                  Participant

Ok, he’s going to the vet on the 27th, is that too late?

• LBJ10
                  16908 posts Send Private Message

I think that’s a bit long to wait if it is getting bigger. It’s hard to tell from the photo. It could be an abscess or other infection. You don’t want to risk permanent damage.

• cappuccino/cappo
                    Participant

Ok, if it gets any bigger i will call emergency

• Bam

I can’t say if this is an emergency -we are not vets here and can’t give veterinary advice.

If the lump suddenly grows considerably,  (an abscess can sometimes can do that), it could be an emergency (risk of bursting), or if  the irritated area suddenly extends in area and becomes wet (“oozing”), but otherwise I think a regular vet contact on Monday would perhaps be better?

Try to keep it clean and dry.

• cappuccino/cappo
                        Participant

Ok, I will see if my local vet is free on Monday.

I tried to clean it with saline and it’s gotten considerably better. The lump is not as big now.

• Bam

Oh, great!

You can put on some plain neosporin (the kind without an added painkiller) or triple antibiotic cream, if you think it’s necessary.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A red spot