Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Recurring gas/stasis

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • GlennTheLionhead
      Participant
      361 posts Send Private Message

Hello!

So Nellie seems healthy but we rescued her at the age of 5/6 so there are some unknowns – we do know that she lived off a pellet only diet before us. She keeps getting recurring bouts of gas, maybe ever 2 months. I am usually very quick to act – depending on time of day I go straight in with tummy rubs, smithecone and loxicom and it sets her back on track.

I am unsure whats causing this, I feel its not diet related as I put more effort into Glenn and Nellies diet than I do my own. My thoughts are she is somewhat inactive, she runs around now and again but is generally a loaf. My bigger concern is hair, she has such fluffy long hair and does all the grooming for herself and Glenn, this shows in occasional misshapen and strung together poops. Weird thing is when I try and brush her barely anything comes off? Ive also never seen her shed or seen any significant amounts of her hair around… Its as if she doesn’t actually molt and instead just continously looses and grows hair in the way that humans do?

Maybe I should just shave her regularly with pet clipper as oppose to brushing her with little success? Shes also incredibly scared of people, as a lot of bunny’s are but I mean realllly anxious, after about 7 months we’ve only just managed to get her allow us to pet her while she’s eating, she wont take food off strangers etc and wont eat sometimes for a couple hours after handling- bottom line, daily brushing is off the table, she just can’t handle that stress- at least for now.

Any thoughts or suggestions on things I could try or perhaps other symptoms to look out for?

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

What kind of comb do you use? I’ve noticed dif combs work better for dif coat types. I really like the hairbuster comb in general, but some of my buns do better with hand plucking or a lint roller. With Bonnie (my anxious bun) I only do grooming when she’s actively molting, and I just put her on the table and do a deep grooming every few days during the worse part of the molt.

Myra used to have bouts of gas, often tied to molting. I switched them to a dif pellet brand (I switched to Sherwood from Oxbow, for what it’s worth) and reduced their veggies a bit (I only do 1 salad a day, used to do 2) and she hasn’t had a problem since. So it may be worth playing with the diet a bit to see if there’s a trigger.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Meg
          Participant
          560 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry to hear this!  My bunnies also wouldn’t let me brush or comb them for most of their lives, so I would just try to wet my hands slightly before petting them, to try to get some loose fur off that way.

But lately, Teddy has actually really enjoyed being groomed with a soft baby brush (like for human babies).  It’s very mild and I think it feels like being licked by a giant bunny 😉 so he seems to receive it as a positive thing.  That might be worth a try too?

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Recurring gas/stasis