Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Recurring Gas in Bunny – Help!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • kiwi24
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hello! My 1 year old Holland Lop named Kiwi is a spayed female. So far, she has been in excellent health despite a bought of  worms one year ago which cleared quickly after a vet visit. However, two nights ago I noticed her being extremely lethargic and unresponsive to her name when I came home from work. She refused food/treats. Long story short, I realized she had gas due to her posturing (constantly moving from position to position, bloated belly, lack of appetite/stool production). I gave her a belly massage and the baby gas drops, and she healed quickly — within 24 hours! Everything was back to normal. This morning, I woke up and she is exhibiting the same symptoms. This time, I audibly hear gurgling coming from her stomach. I have carried out the same gas routine (gas drops, massage), and she is already seeming better. However, WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? I am so confused as to what is causing this. I will say, she is in a shedding stage right now, but her poops look great and I don’t see any hair in them. Also, she is a free-roam rabbit with fresh water from a bowl. She gets unlimited Timothy Hay and organic Timothy pellets (only ~1/8 cup). I give her a cup of fresh veggies like romaine lettuce, herbs, cucumber every morning. Could this be due to her shedding? Hair causing buildup of gas? If anyone has any insight, please don’t be shy!

• DanaNM
        9038 posts Send Private Message

Shedding can def cause some GI issues, it’s pretty common for buns to have GI episodes during molting, even when it seems like they haven’t ingested much hair. She could have some hair in her gut that is working it’s way through. I think if she is improving it’s OK to monitor her and keep up the massages and simethicone, but if it happens again I would take her to the vet. Or, if you are worried about going into the weekend you could try to get her seen today. There could be an underlying more serious issue that’s presenting as gas. Pain in general causes the gut to slow, which can cause gas to build up. Gas also causes pain, so sometimes it’s hard to tell whether the gas is the symptom or the cause of the problems.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• kiwi24
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Okay, that’s good to hear. I was thinking exactly along the same lines — she’s doing great right now. I’lol keep an eye on her over the weekend and if anything recurs I will take her to the vet straight away to get a proper check up. Thank you so much!

• Wick & Fable
            5802 posts Send Private Message

I will also add that some gas in the stomach is just a natural consequence of life. Encouraging movement and hay eating are easy ways to just help facilitate a rabbit do what their (and our) bodies are designed to do, which is release a natural amount of gas if the stomach is feeling a bit icky.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Recurring Gas in Bunny – Help!