Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Reconfigured Henri’s cage.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    • angoralvr
      Participant
      500 posts Send Private Message

The first two levels are now three by three squares. The third level is three by two and the top level is two by two, I think he appreciates the added space. Matt calls it the bunny castle.

1102921895171.jpg
        110292197654.jpg
        110292199258.jpg

• princess
        Participant
        23 posts Send Private Message

the cage is cute and i think your baby will love it aside it adds more space where it can hop and brings a lil bit adventure….

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

Wow, that is a castle! I agree with tettetsky that Henri will love and appreciate his new space.

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

Wow, when can I move in? Might I make a small observation?  It looks like the floor panels are bowing a little so you just might want to help support the floor with a wood board or piece of dowel or a center support panel.

• Gravehearted
              Participant
              2428 posts Send Private Message

he he, i love Henri in the bottom pic

“and here is Prince Henri, enjoying a relaxing day around the castle”

that really is a palatial bunny estate! I also think adding a few dowels will help with the stability. We have two on the longer floors.

• angoralvr
                Participant

I do have two dowels in there but I think I got ones that were too small to do much good. I am planning on going to get thicker ones and replacing the ones that are in there now with them.

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant

Oh I am so glad, I would really hate to see your hard work fall. Such a beautiful palace!

• osprey
                    Participant
                    2065 posts Send Private Message

If you get 1×2 finished lumber (sometimes called "furring strips" ) they fit perfectly in the 1 1/2 inch grids, and is considerably cheaper than dowels.  2 inch lumber is actually 1 1/2 inches wide.  Weird I know, that is because it starts out at 2 inches but then as it is smoothed, some of the width is lost.

• angoralvr
                      Participant

That brings up something I was wondering about actually. . . The dowels I have now are unfinished poplar wood. If Henri decides to chew on them would it cause him a problem? I hadn’t gotten new dowels yet so I will definately look for the 1X2 lumbar to reinforce it with. Is there any type of wood that should be avoided?

• osprey
                        Participant
                        2065 posts Send Private Message

Anything pressure treated, stained, varnished, painted, etc. is bad.  Composite woods that have glues in them (like plywood) are bad.  For some reason redwood is considered bad, I do not remember why.  Pine (the vast majority of construction grade lumber) is good.  I think most hardwoods are good too like birch and oak.  Not sure about poplar.

• MooBunnay
                          Participant
                          3087 posts Send Private Message

Those pics are so cute!! I just love when bunnies are doing that little hanging the head down to observe where they are about to jump down too. Raymond always manages to get himself on top of these enormously high ledges, and then just stands there looking down at the ground wondering how in the world he will get back down. Brian and I call this the “boodles” pose, because we can always imagine Raymond saying to himself “Oh BOODLES, how SHALL i get down?” He’s an english spot, so we also imagine he has an english accent

• angoralvr
                            Participant

"Oh BOODLES. . ."  That is hilarious! I love the English accent too!

• Beka27
                              Participant
                              16016 posts Send Private Message

Posted By MooBunnay on 11/01/2007 1:46 PM
                                Those pics are so cute!! I just love when bunnies are doing that little hanging the head down to observe where they are about to jump down too.

lol… this reminds me.  Mike and i were watching a movie last night… and all of a sudden… Meadow takes a running leap and lands ON THE COFFEE TABLE!!!  she slides around… probably thinking… "oh shoot… this thing is SLIPPERY!!!"  after a few minutes of sitting (and sliding) up there… she looked over the edge at the ground…  she *slides* to the other side of the table… looks down at the ground.  she looked over all four sides, trying to figure out her best means of escape.  we ended up having to rewind the movie because we were too busy watching her (and laughing our butts off) and we missed about ten minutes of it!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                Participant

Ooo the coffee table ice-skating rink.  Mine did that hop once from the couch over.  They haven’t done it since, it is a site to see!

• chinphat
                                  Participant
                                  24 posts Send Private Message

Wow that is AWESOME, ever since I saw this bunny condo in a magazine (just this really nice 2 level cage) I’ve wanted to make my own. I know the design of it and even the measurements I’d like but I don’t know what or where to get the supplies. Mostly what type of metal should I use, which will be able to be easy to work with and still support a 2nd level? And what to use as flooring on the 2nd level, just wood?

• Gravehearted
                                    Participant
                                    2428 posts Send Private Message

chinphat – the condos are usually made with NIC or storage cubes that you can find places like target, walmart or an office supply store. Each of the floors is made with the metal grids and with zip ties.
                                      for the flooring there are several options – but i personally really like coroplast that you can get from a local sign shop. wooden dowels are a good idea under the upper levels to stabilize under the floors.

here’s a recent thread that might be helpful in learning more about building an nic condo

sorry links don’t seem to working correctly, likely due to the site updates:

https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=2&postid=14733&view=topic

• BinkyBunny
                                      8776 posts Send Private Message
                                        Posted By chinphat on 11/06/2007 8:57 PM
                                        Wow that is AWESOME, ever since I saw this bunny condo in a magazine (just this really nice 2 level cage) I’ve wanted to make my own. I know the design of it and even the measurements I’d like but I don’t know what or where to get the supplies. Mostly what type of metal should I use, which will be able to be easy to work with and still support a 2nd level? And what to use as flooring on the 2nd level, just wood?

Check out the Cool Habitats section and then scroll down to see get to links that actually show you how, as well as where to get the cubes. 

Also, here are some other threads from the forum that cover cube homes

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Reconfigured Henri’s cage.