Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Randomly peed outside of litter box

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Vicky
      Participant
      205 posts Send Private Message

Hi, just a simple question. My bun peed and pooped in her “eating area” where she has more hay. The litter box is just next to it. She also has hay in the litter box. I’m curious why she randomly peed somewhere else if she is litter trained and if it’s something to worry about. She has never done this before.

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits are “litter trainable”, but not in the same vein as cats. A rabbit is unlikely to purposely seek out a litterbox wherever you put it in order to use the restroom (they poop +100 times a day… that’s a lot of trips!). Rather, a rabbit’s natural inclinations align well with litterbox training, with that being “I like to poop/pee while I eat.”, which is exactly what you’re seeing here. To a rabbit, there may be little to no difference in pooping/peeing in the same general area, whether it is in or out of this human-made plastic box we provide.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
          8930 posts Send Private Message

Many of my buns see the “litter box” as where-ever there is hay, so giving hay outside of a box can be a bit confusing to them. An easy solution is to keep all her hay in the litter box. I put hay directly in my buns’ boxes, and then hang a rack that they can only get to from inside the box so they have to jump in to eat it.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Vicky
            Participant
            205 posts Send Private Message

Thank you all! The hay only in litter box will not be really possible cause she has like multiple places with hay to eat all around my flat 😆

• DanaNM
              8930 posts Send Private Message

Many people will add a few additional litter boxes in those types of situations. 🙂 The smaller boxes are usually fine when they are a ‘secondary’ box.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Randomly peed outside of litter box