Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Ramp height

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cinnimon&Ollie
      Participant
      300 posts Send Private Message

I am making a ramp for my bunnies new cage and don’t know the way to go. I could make it 14 inches high but I think that would interfere with them when they are running around the cage. The other thing I could do is 28 inches high but I don’t know if that would be safe?

• Wick & Fable
        5771 posts Send Private Message

You may not need a ramp at all, and typically a small platform to jump on mid-way is a lot more space-effective and rabbit-friendly. Ramps tend to be too steep and/or not covered in a texture/material that is pleasant for rabbit feet.  Ramps that are gradual enough (i.e. not steep) tend to take up a lot of space because they are so long.

If you’re comfortable, you can share a picture of where you want the ramp to be and we can share thoughts on whether to stick with a ramp or if there is something a rabbit and the space may be more agreeable to!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Cinnimon&Ollie
          Participant

It won’t let me add a photo but it is a 5 by 3 c&c cage. Almost 20 square feet in total. I was thinking adding a 3 by 2 second level. I don’t know how the ramp would have to be. I like what you mentioned about the platform. Do you think the platform should be 13 inches high or 26 inches high? Or both?

• DanaNM
            8901 posts Send Private Message

I think 26 inches would be too high, because it would have to be very steep, unless the ramp is VERY long.

Coincidentally my C&C cage is almost the same dimensions and I have a ramp going up just 1 level (so 14 inches in my case). The ramp does take up a lot of space (it’s essentially 3 grids long), but they seem to like using it. I think it could prob be a bit shorter (2 grids long maybe), but not by much or it would be too steep.

But I agree that you don’t need a ramp unless you want one! For platform heights, I usually go 1 grid high for each level up (so 13 inches in your case). They will be able to easily jump up and down at that height. Bunnies CAN just 26 inches, but they might not want to as much, and as they get older jumping down from that height often can be hard on their joints. A good rule of thumb is to make the levels low enough so that when the bun stands up on their back legs, they can see where they are going to jump to. And similarly, you want to set things up so that a bun cannot jump down a distance farther than they jumped up, to make sure they don’t fall and hurt themselves.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Cinnimon&Ollie
              Participant

Okay thanks. I think I am not going to make a ramp. Just a second level. They jump onto my desk 40 inches high and back down so not to worried about them getting hurt from jumping down only from falling down. And they would be able to see the top on their back legs if it is one level high… found that out when I was bonding them and one of my bunnies decided to join the other.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Ramp height