Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Ramp

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Risingangel
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

I have a 6 year old lionhead that has always been very shy. She’s very sweet but when it comes to new things she’s not very confident. I just got her a new bunny mansion with 2 ramps and a platform in between them. I’ve tried everything I can think of to get her to use them but all she’s done so far is check out the bottom ramp. How do I get her confidence up so she will use them?

• Bam
        16879 posts Send Private Message

If the bunny mansion is very new, I think she just needs some time to figure things out herself. Rabbits can be very reluctant to try new things. Then all of a sudden, they decide to explore.

If she keeps absolutely refusing to explore and use the ramps, she might have some age-related arthrosis in her back -although ramps are recommended for animals that have back problems. I had a ramp for my old dog so she could get in and out of the car.

• mia
          Participant
          520 posts Send Private Message

Depending on your bun…

I just picked my buns up and put them on it. They sat there for a while and then explored and came down. Afterward, since they had already been up, they had no issues going up and down themselves. Prior to that, it was literally months without going up.

• Risingangel
            Participant

I noticed the couple of times she has started to check out the ramp one of my dogs jumped at her as she about to try it and scared her so I hung a blanket down that side of the mansion so the dog can’t see her.

• LBJ10
              16908 posts Send Private Message

It may also depend on what the ramp is made of. Bunnies prefer surfaces where they have traction.

• Risingangel
                Participant

It’s made of wood and like this rough sandpapery type stuff. Would it be better to put pieces of a yoga mat on it?

I’ve never had this problem before. My other bunny that passed 3 years ago ran up and down hers from the start without a problem and it was made of the same stuff. Of course she was like fearless.

• DanaNM
                    8935 posts Send Private Message

Adding something like a yoga mat, a towel, or carpet could help! But your observation about her be scared of the dog up there could be a big part of it if she feels very exposed.

Scattering some treats going up the ramp and on the second level while the dog is locked away in another part of the house might also encourage her to explore a bit.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Ramp