Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Rabit diet advice

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Rora
      Participant
      4 posts Send Private Message

Hello,

I’m having some issues with my rabbits diet. I think one of my little ones is having a bought of stasis right now and I think their diet is to blame.

I have 2 buns 1 male 1 female both spayed and neutered. I give them small pet select 2nd cutting timothy hay (unlimited supply) and oxbow essentials adult rabbit food. I think the problem is the amount of pellets I give them 2/3 cup morning, 2/3 cup night. The problem is if I don’t give them that amount of pellets I don’t feel like they eat enough. May I have some advice on how to adjust their diet do I don’t have to worry about stasis as much?

• Wick & Fable
        5802 posts Send Private Message

Hay is the number one food in the rabbit diet that contributed to longevity and health. The amount of pellets is based on the rabbit’s weight, and beyond that, they should eat hay for the rest of the day, therefore never go hungry as there should be an unlimited supply.

Too much pellets can often be a cause of GI distress because the rabbit fills up or learns to wait for the next helping of pellets, leading to low hay consumption.

As long as you’re feeding pellets appropriate to their weight and age, you do not need to worry about them eating enough as they should be eating majority hay throughout the day and overnight.

For most sized rabbits, 1/4c of pellets is enough. Unless your rabbits are giants, you could cut back on pellets to maximize hay consumption.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
          16977 posts Send Private Message

Unless they are a giant breed, that is too many pellets already. Assuming they are consuming equal amounts of that ration, that is 2/3 a cup each. I agree with Wick that you should cut that down some and encourage more hay consumption. If they aren’t fans of Timothy hay, you can try something else like orchard grass or oat hay.

• DanaNM
            9038 posts Send Private Message

Agree that is far too many pellets. I only give my buns about a tablespoon each, once per day. They are more like a multivitamin and a treat than a staple. Adult rabbits really don’t need a lot of pellets. They are likely not eating hay because they are holding out for pellets.

You can try incorporating some timothy cubes as well to get more fiber into their diet. Offering different types of hay in different places can also encourage hay eating.

Are you feeding any greens, fruits, or treats?

If they haven’t been eating much hay for a long time, there’s a possibility there could be some dental issues because hay chewing helps keep the molars healthy. So if you notice they aren’t wanting hay even when pellets are reduced you should have the vet do a deep molar exam.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Rabit diet advice