Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Rabbits need enrichment

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cinnimon&Ollie
      Participant
      300 posts Send Private Message

when I get my rabbits toys they play with them for a day then stop. I am looking to put carpet tiles down and don’t want to rip it, I also don’t want bored bunnies only enriched bunnies please. If you have any suggestions of toys for them that would help a lot. They seem to like willow but they are gone in a like a hour. They also like cardboard, and they love to jump and explore. So if you know any playhouses that would be great! Thanks in advance.

• Wick & Fable
        5782 posts Send Private Message

Cardboard cat scratchers work well for rabbits who like cardboard — they are more robust, so they’ll last longer. Something plain like this is fine (My Fable chews them a ton):

For willow toys, it’s great that they’re eating them! You can actually get willow chunks through the Binkybunny Store, which can last much longer, as well as packs of several willow toys (so you have some in stock as they run out!): https://store.binkybunny.com/collections/chews

Getting bundles of sticks/chews can be a good thing to keep them occupied. You can tie them together so it’s something they can destroy, then interact with each separate component.

I recommend the double-weave sea grass mat for digger/chewer buns, as it is more robust then a regular sea grass mat.

I also have posted two DIY toy ideas for more destructive rabbits here: https://www.reddit.com/user/WickandFable/posts/

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Cinnimon&Ollie
          Participant

Thank you sooo much for all your help recently. I have cardboard cat scratchers right now ( will have to get more soon). I am going to be getting some Seagrass mats, and bundle of willow sticks.

• RabbitPam
            11002 posts Send Private Message

I don’t mean to sound like a salesperson, but because I am a forum leader I’ve gotten most of my supplies from the binkybunny store. Spike chews also, and I finally found a flat, low tight pile carpet at home depot that he won’t chew on. For toys, the larger, more complicated edible toys are best. The store has separate sections for toys and for chews. https://store.binkybunny.com/collections/chews A bunny likes projects, so if you have one that can’t be eaten in a day, the bunny will come back regularly to work on it. All willow, apple sticks, seagrass, hay products, are healthy and last longer.

Let your bunny ignore a toy then introduce it again, even weeks later. They rediscover it as if it’s new.

• Cinnimon&Ollie
              Participant

Thanks for the input. I have tried to take them away for a few weeks and then put the back in but they still have no interest.

• Susanne
                Participant
                419 posts Send Private Message

My rabbits don’t like typical rabbit toys. They’d rather chew cardboard, dig blankets, zoomies, etc. They have a long hall to run which helps get the energy out. They like running thru tunnels. One of their favorite things is stuffing the TP roll tube with hay. They never get tired of it so I give them each one per night. I’d fill it more often but it’s soooo messy 😉

• DanaNM
                  8935 posts Send Private Message

In addition to all the recommended things above, right now my buns have been obsessed with the “snak shak” log (the large one) (BB doesn’t sell it, but major online pet stores do). It is this really hard compressed (rabbit safe) wood thing, and they will work on it for a few weeks before it’s gone. It’s saved my furniture from Cooper, who has tons of young bunny chewing energy!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                    Participant

I thought the snak shak log was not safe for them?

• DanaNM
                      8935 posts Send Private Message

While there may be the odd rabbit that it doesn’t agree with, I have found it to safe in my experience.

It is very very hard, so they aren’t actually eating a large amount of it at any given time. I also don’t give them 24/7  access to it (only while they are getting their exercise time). We gave it to buns at the rescue, and I’ve been giving it to my four bunnies for probably the last 9 months without any issues at all. It has a ton of positive reviews from bunny owners as well. I think you just want to get the large size one, there is a tiny one for hamsters and other pocket pets that probably wouldn’t be safe for bunnies.

In my mind, the alternative is my bun Cooper eating my bookshelf and baseboards, which certainly isn’t safe, so it’s a better option for me!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                        Participant

My rabbits are very dedicated chewers and one of them would most likely be an odd of she can’t eat tons of fruits and veggies because they don’t agree with her.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Rabbits need enrichment