Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE rabbits eat meat?????????

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • carnivorousbun
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

I have a female mini-lop that is probably about 1 yr old that likes meat.  She first started when I got her in January when I left my cheeseburger on the couch and she jumped up and ate part of it.  Ever since then, she has been eating any meat that anyone offers her.  Other people in the house think it’s cute and funny that she eats meat but I’m worried that it may reduce her life span.  I don’t want to lock her up and when I yell about not feeding her meat, they say " it hasn’t killed her yet" which I absolutely hate.  She is acts perfectly normal, eats all her greens and pellets but just really likes the taste of meat.   Someone please tell me if this is life threatening…..

1829574874471.jpg

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

She’s a Cannibal LOL.

Hooley Dooley!

Heck no idea about that one ….

Dawn xx

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
          Participant
          2517 posts Send Private Message

Wow, that is kind of peculiar. I have to say I also have no idea on that one… does she get diarrhea or anything when she eats it? Their digestive systems are not suited for digesting meat, so I find it strange if it has no effect on her.

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

Welcome Pez! Well I have to vote a big NO on meat.    A rabbit’s digestive system is not meant to digest meat. I do know that rabbits that eat cat food can develop very serious deadly digestive issues over time, so I can’t imagine a hamburger would be good either.    A rabbit can develop a serious imbalance overnight OR over a longer period of time. And when a rabbit does get sick, they can hide it so well. By the time you actually notice when a rabbit is sick, it means they are in an emergency state. So please tell your family members to stick with what we know is good for bunnies, and leave the meat to carnivores. That way no one is taking any risks, and you have a better chance at offering a healthy long life for your bunny.

Tell the people that say "it hasn’t killed her yet" That "yet" is a very dangerous waiting game. What are they waiting for? So once she’s suffering or dead, then they’ll say…eh, you were right, sorry.   What good will that do you or your rabbit?    I hope you can lay down the law with them, and more importantly that they will respect your wishes for the health of your bunny.  

Keep us updated!

• Spacehopper
              Participant
              540 posts Send Private Message

I have to agree with BinkyBunny!! Buns have a habit of hding their maldies until it’s often too late. Personally I havent’t tried my buns with meat (the boyfriend’s wafted bits of dead carcas under our buns noses, with screams from me), and wouldn’t try them on meat. I say don’t do it. 🙂 Stick with the greens.

• Bunnies4ever
                Participant
                368 posts Send Private Message

I have to agree with binkybunny and spacehopper! I would stop giving her any meat. Their bodies aren’t made for it. You wouldn’t want to lose your bunny! By the time you notice anything wrong, it may be too late! You can save yourself anguish and money.

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant
                  4293 posts Send Private Message

Definately NO MEAT, I echo the reasons below.

• skunklionshow
                    Participant
                    1257 posts Send Private Message

As a non-bunny vegetarian…why do people think its so funny to give vegetarians meat?  Is it b/c they believe its a personal choice and the power to exert meat over a vegetarian is funny?  I’m not being dead serious…I just think there’s a connection.  Tell your f&f that it is not your bun’s "personal choice" to be a vegetarian, its mandatory.  Then tell your bun to put down that chicken leg and "just say NO!" 

Some animals become conditioned to eat whatever people will give them.  Many times they are not responding to the desired food but the human’s reactions.  Like a baby that keeps doing the same thing over and over b/c mommy laughs or smiles!

• osprey
                      Participant
                      2065 posts Send Private Message

I read a book from our local library about raising bunnies that was written in the 60s or 70s.  The book actually suggested giving rabbits a bone to gnaw on like you would a dog!  They also said that bunnies can eat fish once in a while for extra protein!  Yikes, we’ve come a long way.

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant
                        4293 posts Send Private Message

Oh yes, I recall giving a bunny-adopter a long lecture/education when I saw one of those bonz in the rabbit cage, you know the ones you give to dogs? Well, lets just say that there was a laundry-list of other issues that I was there for (like feeding the rabbit dog food). Long story short, the rabbit ended up being taken back to the shelter because they could not meet the conditions of the adoption contract they signed (they had been given many generous days to fix the situation). It was AWFUL how that poor rabbit was being taken care of.

• MyBunnyPotato
                          Participant
                          1 posts Send Private Message

So I created an account to touch on this. My bunny BB has an obsession with meat. She finds it even when I think there’s no way. Opening the fridge, finding the slim jims, watching you to leave your plate even for a second. And she will take it and run. She begs too. My other bunnies… not so much, it’s just a BB thing lol. I was thinking of changing her name to porkchop. But she’s been fine. I have noticed however, if she fights the cat for wet food her poop pellets are a little soft. Gross I know. Anyway, I was googling it And came across this web page of a study showing wild meat eating rabbits. Here’s the link https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zmescience.com/ecology/animals-ecology/hares-eating-meat-14012019/amp/?espv=1

No arguments just trying to shed a little light on the subject. When BB first started eating meat I freaked out.

• Bam
                            16838 posts Send Private Message

This is rather interesting! Some buns really do seem to go for meat. My bunny Bam would steal pork rinds if he got the chance. A friend has a rabbit who is obsessed with meat sandwiches.

I recently saw a TV documentary about wild horses in Siberia, they used to raid villages and steal fish.

That said, we shouldn’t feed our rabbits meat or fish – of course. Hares in the Arctic  and wild horses in Siberia probably have trouble finding nutritious enough grass and plants, especially during the very cold seasons. Our rabbits luckily don’t have to resort to eating meat, but its pretty cool that they, or at least some individuals,  could if they absolutely needed to!

(This is a very old thread and we ask people not to revive old threads. I will leave this thread open for the time being though).

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE rabbits eat meat?????????