Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A RABBITS ARE Sooooo!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • robin99
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

hi guys,,.,.nice to see a such a you know sopicticated community…well as you know that i am pet lover wait..wait.but how can you know cz i am new here..haha.just chiling…..nw the puprose of joiing and starting this new thread is ..i need some rabbiots..actually i am going to make a big big cage for them..so wana to know that there is a need of cage or they will easily feel ok in my lawn???and there is need of special care like my cats or dogs??? and whats there feed??i wana this expention just cz they are you know looking so sweet in white color and is there any type of them also???…dn`t hav enough knowledge regarding speacial types…so may be you wil help me

• JK
        Participant
        2223 posts Send Private Message

Please read everything under Bunny Info above. It is chuck full of everything you want to know. And NO a bunny should not be outside. It’s very dangerous. They should have a large cage with access to a larger area to run around but INSIDE! They are a tremendous amount of work, way more than a cat or a dog. Please really educate yourself by reading the links above.

• babybunsmum
          Participant
          3896 posts Send Private Message

yup… definitely read up under ‘bunny info’ on this site before you go any further. 

getting a bunch of bunnies for your backyard sounds cute & fun, but it would be very irresponsible for a number of reasons.  here are a few for example: 

• one rabbit costs as much (or more) in vet care and for food than a dog or cat
            • rabbits cost more to neuter / spay than cats or dogs
            • you cannot just put a bunch of rabbits together & have them get along – they need to be bonded one by one or they can fight and cause serious injury or death to eachother
            • rabbits need to be protected from weather extremes and predators, which is why they are indoor pets
            • rabbits need a specialized diet including fresh greens & unlimited hay daily which takes time & money

• ScooterandAnnette
            Participant
            1090 posts Send Private Message

Even though I thought we were pretty prepared for getting a bunny, it was so much different than we thought it would be. I think every first-time bunny owner will tell you it’s so much more work than it seems!! We’ve got bunnies and cats and the bunnies are much more expensive and more work to keep than the cats are. Worth it, but definitely NOT a cheap pet that one can get, stick in a cage somewhere, and feed now and then. They require hours of attention every single day.
              – Annette

• kralspace
              Participant
              2663 posts Send Private Message

in addition to the above, I decided against even an outside run because of exposure to fleas, flies, mites and other parasites and critters found in the dirt. That, and I have new neighbors on each side who have dogs that would be drooling from just the other side of the fence. And the red tail hawk that cruises the neighborhood, the other neighbor’s cat who is capable of killing large Norwegian Roof rats, boy, I just talked myself out of it even more!

Kathy

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

Robin,

You said you “need” rabbits.  What do you mean exactly?

I’ll give you some quick answers, but it looks like you are basically starting from scratch and so I really recommend that you read through the bunny info and check out rabbit.org to get a base of information to start from. 

Rabbits do have special needs and requirements.   One of the several requirments include a a high fiber diet

We are a house rabbit community so we advocate indoor rabbits for their living quarters – check out the cool habitats gallery.

Though there are many here that supervise outdoor visits, most here do not house their bunnies outside because of predators, parasites and for the very fact that rabbits are part of the family – an indoor animal companion.

Rabbits are also expensive when it comes to vet visits.  They are considered exotics because they need special medications and have special requirements when it comes to treatment and surgery.

So take your time, and research and read up.  Another great place to start is to check out our FAQ section in the forum – you’ll see tons of links to discussions about many of the questions to you have -  especially in the intro section of FAQ

• MooBunnay
                  Participant
                  3087 posts Send Private Message

Hello Robin – welcome to Binky Bunny!

Because people are so misinformed about rabbits – it is quite normal to have the idea that rabbits just hang around outside and that is where they live, but in fact, domestic rabbits do not do well outside at all. They are much happier, healthier and safer living indoors. That may be surprising especially because many people don’t know that rabbits can actually be litter trained and LOVE attention. My little bunnies can’t wait for me to come home and feed them dinner, and actually get really angry if I don’t pay enough attention to them – so leaving your rabbits outdoors would be very sad for them as they wouldn’t get the attention they need.

Also, please do not go buy a bunch of rabbits all at once, because that bunch of rabbits will turn into a HUGE un-manageable amount very quickly. If you even want two rabbits to hang out together they need to both be spayed and neutered, which will cost you a minimum of $100 approximately per rabbit, and could be much much more depending on which vet you go to.

Rabbits are not really a casual decorative pet, they are just likea dog or a cat, they need special vet care, they need to be fixed, and they need to live inside and have all your attention

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A RABBITS ARE Sooooo!