Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit won’t stop destroying carpet

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Hey There Delilah
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

My rabbit is spayed but over the last few months she has become more destructive of the rug in her pen. I can’t figure out why she’s still digging and tearing holes in the rug (it’s a rug on top of the actual carpet flooring). She is in a large pen most of the day but I let her free roam for 4-6 hours daily. She receives lots of attention and pets every day. She has pieces of card board and rabbit toys to chew on in her pen. She doesn’t eat any of the rug, just tears it apart and spits it out. She even will go back in her cage during her free roam time just to tear up the rug. Any ideas on why she does this or how to stop it??

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

If it’s still been a couple months since the spay, it could be the hormones still sorting themselves out.

Digging is one of many enriching and entertaining behaviors rabbits do. They also do it in frustration. It sounds like it is something she enjoys doing since it seems you offer time and other toys. You can redirect the energy by making a dig box or buying/making toys that lean into her love to digging certain textures. Some rabbits just change their preference in entertainment. For my more ‘destructive’ rabbit, she goes through phases. Right now, she is not into cardboard, but we were chucking toilet paper rolls at her left and right when we first got her. Currently, she likes tossing things more.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
          8930 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes it seems like rabbits learn to dig, and realize it’s so fun and want to keep doing it.

You might need to remove the rug from her pen at least. I’ve had some buns that just cant have blankets or rugs in their areas, because if they have 24/7 access they will destroy them. So I had to opt for cardboard, seagrass mats, etc. You might need to put something like a piece of linoleum down to protect the carpet if she moves on to that. Paper mats can be really nice for them to destroy too (although it makes a mess).

My carpet chewers really have liked to shred phone books, newspaper mats, and cardboard cat scratchers. If there seems to a specific spot she’s obsessed with, you can block that with a ceramic tile, as buns tend to have “projects” that they work on.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Rabbit won’t stop destroying carpet